5/5/24 1:35PM Tigers @ Yankees

32 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I read Abreu welcomed it and wanted it. That may be all BS though...I mean, what's he supposed to say?

I don't know.  Everybody is different.  He's on the downslope of his career.  Maybe he's really after a ring to close things out?  Maybe he's got the blend of pride and humility to admit he needs to work on things while not adversely affecting his already struggling team?

And of course, I have the cynical side to me that wonders if he refuses the assignment, does he also walk away from the contract?  Because, dollars and sense.

Hey, the former is certainly possible.  We know of the Kaline story where he refused a raise one offseason because he thought he didn't earn it.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Greedy much?  At least we have two

I was thinking to myself that Greene and maybe Canha would be the only bats that could play for the Yankees...whilst the Yankees 5-9 hitters would hit in the top 4 of this Tigers lineup...only hope Scott Harris noticed this chestnut as well.

Edited by Dtrain72

Posted (edited)

I’d be shocked if the underworld gambling types haven’t already found a way to get at least one and maybe even a few umps in their pocket.  

MLB’s blind eye toward poor umpiring has to be one of the biggest game fixing opportunities to ever exist.  

An ump can very easily impact over/under run totals as well as strikeout totals for both SP based on how much they want to stretch the zone.  Nobody will ever question it as MLB lets them call whatever zone they want without any repercussions.  Managers or players are immediately ejected for disputing and aren’t allowed to comment publicly on it after games.  They can call whatever they want and the league will never do anything to reprimand other than maybe not get a playoff assignment.   I’m sure a majority a true blue to the game of baseball but there have to be a few that view it just as a job to make as much money as possible.  

Edited by Hongbit

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

14 strike outs in 4 innings. This is what Manfred has brought our game to?

More opportunities for strikeout struts.  That's the kind of thing that turns a new generation on to the game.  

They had to score early with the rain coming in. Now that it’s an official game, the sweep is locked in….let’s see if they make any roster moves before Cleveland.