5/13/24 6:40PM Marlins @ Tigers

Sixto Sanchez...

in HS we had a team party before the playoffs and the Tigers were playing the White Sox.  This was spring 1990.  The starter for the Sox was Melido Perez.  A coach says to me as we're eating pizza... "You tell me a guy named Melido Perez doesn't smoke cocaine"

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Sixto Sanchez...

in HS we had a team party before the playoffs and the Tigers were playing the White Sox.  This was spring 1990.  The starter for the Sox was Melido Perez.  A coach says to me as we're eating pizza... "You tell me a guy named Melido Perez doesn't smoke cocaine"

did you say " I dont know a guy named Keith Hernandez does"

At the 1/4 mark of the season, the Tigers are 20-20 with a +3 run differential. That's "mid" in teen speak, "meh" to a 30 year old, "mediocre" to a 50-something, and "gee whiz, time to pull up your socks" to a 70 year old.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

As much as it appears our relief corps has let us down, in terms of what we can control—walks, strikeouts, homers to a degree—we have actually improved lately. The problem has been the outcomes.

Through end of April, our relievers' FIP-minus was 102, which is ever-so-slightly worse than the average of 100, but our ERA-minus was 73 (6th-best). For May, though, our FIP-minus has been 88, ranking 11th, but their ERA-minus has been 115, which ranks 19th.

As you may have guessed, the culprit has been balls starting to fall in. Our March/April BABIP was .232; so far in May, it's .340. That's a problem for a bullpen like the Tigers' that was already among baseball's worst in striking out the opposition in March/April (21.8%, 18th), but has gotten much worse in May (17.9%, 29th). You may or may not agree that strikeouts are fascist, but when a team doesn't get enough of them, they have to rely on some combination of their defense and dumb luck to get guys out.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

Why are the Tigers playing the infield shift tonight? The shift cost the tigers at least two runs against Miami tonight.

Playing the odds. Modern day baseball predicts where a player "usually" hits it. Sometimes a team gets burned.

1 minute ago, SoCalTiger said:

Manning is cementing his spot as a teams fifth or sixth starter. Not bad but nothing special. Not a future piece in my amateur evaluation. 

Would like to see a healthy 150+ inning season...he's is going to get a lot of chances on the big club.