5/17/24 9:40PM Tigers @ Diamondbacks

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Boys, this is what happens when you just trust the process. 

Or change the process. It was sort of telling to hear Hinch praising the team approach and having it be in contradiction everything Tork said the team preaches. But that's cool, I'm always happy to take practice over theory.

But I would guess from all the chatter in the booth about the statistics on first pitch strikes that they picked that up from from Hinch pregame and that maybe it means the team has  realized that in the ebb and flow between the objective of trying to make pitchers throw more pitches and pitchers thus striving to throw more 1st pitch strikes, the world has shifted so it's time to revisit. The one issue with being data driven is the need to remember the data is always the past, so you may end up behind  the curve when things change. In baseball you are not always measuring a static system - the underlying conditions that create some of your data can change because it's present tense decisions of players that are creating the data sets, and those are subject to change/evolution. The best launch angle to hit a HR doesn't change, but player tendencies do.

Edited by gehringer_2

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The one problem with being too highly data driven is the data is always the past, so you may end up behind  the curve when things change.

When can we expect your, ‘Book of Baseball Puns’ release? Jim Price would have loved this one. 

Edited by 1776

In Skubal's 24 starts dating back to his return last July he has thrown 1 run or less in 14 of them and in 10 gave up 0 runs. He doesn't have the volume of innings that prime JV or Max had but on a rate basis I don't think any Tigers pitcher in atleast 50 years has had a run like he is on the last 10 months. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

1971 Mickey Lolich pitched twice as much as the even the more durable pitchers today which made him more valuable.  It's apples and oranges, but I don't think you can say he had the same rates from game to Skubal has had which is what Randy was talking about. And you wouldn't have expected him to given his workload.   

Edited by Tiger337

6 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which is 53 years ago so Randy's statement still stands...

😉

Lol that's exactly why I said atleast 50 yrs cause I knew Lolich had some great seasons as did Mclain but since they predated my time by a decade and a half I didn't exactly know off hand what their stretches were like. But just looking at stats wise it appears they were no where close to as dominant as Skubal has been when you factor in the respective scoring environments.  Skubal's ERA+ in the past 10 months dwarfs their best seasons as does every other metric and stat except for innings of course which is why I specified on a rate basis. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Lol that's exactly why I said atleast 50 yrs cause I knew Lolich had some great seasons as did Mclain but since they predated my time by a decade and a half I didn't exactly know off hand what their stretches were like. But just looking at stats wise it appears they were no where close to as dominant as Skubal has been when you factor in the respective scoring environments.  Skubal's ERA+ in the past 10 months dwarfs their best seasons as does every other metric and stat except for innings of course which is why I specified on a rate basis. 

I believe you are right.  I also think it is really difficult to compare today's pitchers to pitchers in the 60s and 70s because the environments are so different.  It's hard enough comparing hitters from different eras, but pitchers are used so differently today that it's really not even the same role.   

Posted (edited)

Another crazy Skubal stat, in his 24 starts since his return only 4 times has he given up more hits than innings pitched and only once has he done that in his last 15 starts. Just insane, most pitchers would be glad to only have that stat for runs let alone hits. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

3 hours ago, casimir said:

He is terrible.  That's who he is.  The beauty of watching on delayed recording is zipping through those awful commercials.

I agree. I was wondering whether the actor is actually from Detroit. I don’t remember anybody around me sounding like that when I lived there.

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I agree. I was wondering whether the actor is actually from Detroit. I don’t remember anybody around me sounding like that when I lived there.

I mentioned before, he sounds more Chicago than Detroit in the commercial that he yammers about his hat.

4 hours ago, casimir said:

I heard on a podcast that Baez is actually one of the team leaders in either AVG or OPS with RISP.  I cannot find that matrix.  However, check this little stat out.  19.3% of his inherited base runners have scored vs the Tiger team total of 14.5%.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/2024-batting.shtml

If you're interested, scroll down to Team PH/HR/Situ Hitting*.

Just to add to this nugget, MLB average is 14.2%.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/2024-situational-batting.shtml

It seems impossible that (1) the Tigers would be slightly above average at such a metric and that (2) Baez would be one of the team leaders in such a metric.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which is 53 years ago so Randy's statement still stands...

😉

Jesus......I wasn't disagreeing with him or trying to be contrary...just pointing out the most recent example of a pitcher other than Verlander or Max being that dominant was a indeed a long time ago.

8 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Jesus......I wasn't disagreeing with him or trying to be contrary...just pointing out the most recent example of a pitcher other than Verlander or Max being that dominant was a indeed a long time ago.

I remember in the 90's, there was a stretch where David Wells seems to dominate every time he took the mound for the Tigers. It was a much shorter time, maybe just a few months, but it seemed like he won every time out. Nothing like Skubal though, the kid is the real deal, a real #1 ace. So, how many years is he under team control? Extend him now, he's only gonna get more expensive. 

38 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Verlander and Scherzer as Tigers are starting to feel like a long time ago.

4 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I remember in the 90's, there was a stretch where David Wells seems to dominate every time he took the mound for the Tigers. It was a much shorter time, maybe just a few months, but it seemed like he won every time out. Nothing like Skubal though, the kid is the real deal, a real #1 ace. So, how many years is he under team control? Extend him now, he's only gonna get more expensive. 

He’s a Boras client heading to free agency. Enjoy him while you can. I would be at least doing due diligence about what he could bring on trade. 

Would I throw years at Skubal to keep him around into the next decade? Hmmm … Throwing years at pitchers almost never ends well. As it turns out, with Boras at the helm, it’s a near certainty we don’t get a chance to extend him before he goes on the market anyway.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We're gonna trade him.   We'll trade Riley and Olson too.   We're gonna be the new Rays.     Better hope they draft very well.  

Wait until they're almost free agents. Rinse and repeat...

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Would I throw years at Skubal to keep him around into the next decade? Hmmm … Throwing years at pitchers almost never ends well. As it turns out, with Boras at the helm, it’s a near certainty we don’t get a chance to extend him before he goes on the market anyway.

Hasn’t he already had two major arm injuries?  Both TJ?