5/21/24 7:40PM Tigers @ Royals

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

What do you think of the Tarik Skubal draft pick?   

i like it better than the parker meadows, kody clemens, kingston liniak, adam wolf, hugh smith, eric de la rosa, and jeremiah burks picks.

10 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

When Mize went, I remember people saying it was him or Brady Singer. We can't go back using hindsight and finding 3rd and 4th round picks who are better in 2024. It isn't fair to the scouts who can't see 5 years into the future. Were there players you wanted them to take over Mize or Tork?

i doubt it.  i dont follow the baseball draft as much as the other sports.  i do remember liking nick madrigal a lot and that hasnt worked out very well.

but i am not a baseball gm.  i am not saying that they should listen to me.  i am saying his picks have not panned out yet and, as such, have not been good picks.  that's what he was paid to do and he wasnt very good at it.

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

In defense of Mize, the other choice for a team looking for a pitcher that year was Brady Singer. If the Tigers had taken him they'd be ahead of where they are with Mize, but I think you can still argue Mize has more total career potential -  at least for a little while longer.....

perhaps they should have looked for something besides a one year college wonder at pitcher?

I knew it was going to be a laugher so my wife and I put on The Iron Claw.

Great movie.  I already knew the story as I was a big wrestling fan in the 80's, but my wife never heard of them and she was very into it.  Usually she only lasts about an hour when we watch something before she dozes off.  It takes us two nights to watch a movie.

1 minute ago, oblong said:

I knew it was going to be a laugher so my wife and I put on The Iron Claw.

Great movie.  I already knew the story as I was a big wrestling fan in the 80's, but my wife never heard of them and she was very into it.  Usually she only lasts about an hour when we watch something before she dozes off.  It takes us two nights to watch a movie.

I was a wrestling fan in the mid ‘70’s or so. The term, Iron Claw, brings back memories of one of my favorites, Blackjack Mulligan. I think his trademark go-to was simply, The Claw. 

7 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I always wondered why the Tigers thought they could take a college first baseman and turn him into a major league third baseman. The Wizard of Oz can hand out brains, hearts, and courage, but even he can’t turn a first baseman into a third baseman. 

I believe the 3rd base thing was a smoke show because Al didnt want crap for picking a 1st baseman 1-1

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Toddwert said:

I believe the 3rd base thing was a smoke show because Al didnt want crap for picking a 1st baseman 1-1

there was nothing wrong with giving him a shot there given that his college coaches thought he was a good fielder, but the Tigers sure oversold it and that is probably part of why.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Not a bad pick considering he’d been passed on 254 times before it.

He was passed on 254 times because he had Tommy John surgery in 2016 when he was still in college.

What else ya' got?

2 hours ago, buddha said:

perhaps they should have looked for something besides a one year college wonder at pitcher?

IDK, given the wastage rate for pitchers you do have to pick a lot of them to keep up. It also goes to the central question of projection accuracy. I think the Tiger philosophy going back to Dombrowski was that young pitcher measurables are better and more reliable than those available for young hitters, so your chances of hitting with an 20 yr pitcher who throws upper 90s are better than with a 20 yr old hitter putting up a 900 OPS against 20 yr old pitchers who are miles from MLB quality. I don't know if in the end that's a supportable theory or not, but the Tigers have built a pretty good pitching staff, though it's fair to say they may have gone overboard and left themselves poorly balanced.  And I guess you could say that conversely, their skill at picking hitters was poor enough that maybe they shouldn't have spent any more draft capital there!.....:classic_laugh:

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

He was passed on 254 times because he had Tommy John surgery in 2016 when he was still in college.

What else ya' got?

My question is how can this be spun this as some kind of genius draft move.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

i doubt it.  i dont follow the baseball draft as much as the other sports.  i do remember liking nick madrigal a lot and that hasnt worked out very well.

but i am not a baseball gm.  i am not saying that they should listen to me.  i am saying his picks have not panned out yet and, as such, have not been good picks.  that's what he was paid to do and he wasnt very good at it.

Most picks never reach the majors. There's a huge list of 1st round picks who never made it, even ones who went #1 overall. And then there are lower picks who turn into All Stars. It's baseball.

If you are relying completely on high draft picks to save your rebuild, you're dead. Avila is gone because of it. We need to to see if Harris has any non-free agency and development methods(real baseball trades) to vastly improve the talent level on this team.

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is that similar to how can Kerry Carpenter be spun as a genius draft move when he was selected in the 19th round?

Let me ask this question: What qualifies as a genius draft move according to your definition? Or worthy of a minimum of credit...?

Kerry Carpenter in the 19th round? No?

Tarik Skubal in the 9th round? No?

Jason Foley? Signed as an undrafted free agent? No.

Colt Keith in the 5th round? No?

Beau Brieske in the 27th round? No?

Reese Olson, obtained in trade for Daniel Norris? No?

Wenceel Perez, signed as a 16 y.o. free agent in 2016 for $550K? No?

What exactly does it take for you to even offer a MINIMUM of credit?

Just wondering...

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

What exactly does it take for you to even offer a MINIMUM of credit?

Are we no longer talking about the Tarik Skubal pick? Are we talking about me now? Is that what this is coming down to for you?

Edited by chasfh

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yes.

I think your characterization of Avila as a "stench" is offensive.

To me.

Well, I don't think people want to have, or hear, a discussion of how much credit chasfh is nor is not giving Al Avila. That seems outside the scope of any discussion I've seen around here, at least so far.

Also, I don't know why you're quoting me on the word "stench", since the only time I've ever used that on this forum was in relation to how gambling is stinking up the game. If you're going to quote people, you might consider doing it right, or else people won't take you seriously, assuming that's important to you..

47 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The way that the Torkelson pick can be spun as an incompetent move.  Hindsight.   

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Well, I don't think people want to have, or hear, a discussion of how much credit chasfh is nor is not giving Al Avila. That seems outside the scope of any discussion I've seen around here, at least so far.

Also, I don't know why you're quoting me on the word "stench", since the only time I've ever used that on this forum was in relation to how gambling is stinking up the game. If you're going to quote people, you might consider doing it right, or else people won't take you seriously, assuming that's important to you..

I'll go find where you specifically stated "the stench of Avila"...

It was in at least one of the game threads.

But aside from that; and speaking to player obtainment specifically... you seem unwilling to give any credit whatsoever for player procurement. Why? Or, again, what exactly does it take to impress you enough to give someone credit?

For the 5,951st time, Avila was not good at his job overall.  He made some good moves, but not enough to remain in that capacity, and probably should have been replaced prior to when he was actually let go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Are we no longer talking about the Tarik Skubal pick? 

PS: And you're avoiding the question. Or unwilling to answer.

Colt Keith, 5th round?

Kerry Carpenter, 19th round?

Beau Brieske, 27th round?

Reese Olson, for Daniel Norris?

Posted (edited)

We need to give credit to Avila for player procurement? It that right?

What does get for building an incoherent major league team? We have this fetishization of prospect lists when the 40 man roster is still bad and needs multiple years to fix.

Edited by kdog