How much money?

Posted (edited)

I know AJ Hinch recently signed a contract extension to stay in Detroit. How much money would the Tigers pay Hinch if here were fired? I know Hinch and Scott Harris are friends but some roster moves and coaching personnel decisions have to be made now. Hinch, this roster and coaching staff are just so comfortable losing games. We(fans) should be disgusted.

Edited by UCFKNIGHT

35 minutes ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

We(fans) should be disgusted.

I’m probably into my fourth or fifth consecutive year of being disgusted. In all seriousness, Scott Harris is probably the most secure President of Baseball Operations guy in baseball right now. Hinch isn’t going anywhere either. 
The Tigers haven’t even had to deal with real injuries this year as some teams have. Not very encouraging.

16 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

HInch does not even make a top 20 list of problems with this team

I would like to see them broom the entire hitting coaching staff in Detroit and start over. Sure the odds are high it is just the players, but after three years of seeing the same failed approaches at the plate, I'm ready to take the chance on changing it up.

• Like 1

AJ needs to figure out the next gen cheating method and more importantly how to not get caught this time.  Use that Stanford brain and embrace becoming the Lex Luther of Baseball.

What did people expect from the Tigers this year?  They are playing pretty much as they were projected this year.  I mean the Royals series was garbage but overall I think they have been OK.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

What did people expect from the Tigers this year?  They are playing pretty much as they were projected this year.  I mean the Royals series was garbage but overall I think they have been OK.  

That’s where I am at.  People got mad when they downplayed winning the division.  Just because the fans possibly overrated these guys doesn’t mean they did a poor job. 

The Tigers are a 5-13 team at the moment, and they were flat to awful against a division rival, so I can see why folks are antsy. Good thing they're getting on a plane tonight and getting back on the horse tomorrow.

33 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The Royals overachieving has a bunch of folks losing perspective. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Tigers and Royals ultimately finish within a game or two of each other. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I would like to see them broom the entire hitting coaching staff in Detroit and start over. Sure the odds are high it is just the players, but after three years of seeing the same failed approaches at the plate, I'm ready to take the chance on changing it up.

This! Keep looking for hitting coaches until we find coaches like we have pitching coaches. Pitchers supposedly want to come here because our coaches revive their careers. Find some hitting coaches like that!

46 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I expected Greene, Carpenter and Torkelson to improve and carry the team offensively. Tork has failed so far.

I expected the young starters to stay healthy and build up their innings because I don't think they're ready yet to all pitch 150-180 innings plus potential playoff workloads.

I didn't expect the starters to be some of the best pitchers in baseball. A pleasant surprise but also frustrating because the rest of the team has been inconsistent. I didn't expect them to contend mainly for this reason and expect they will have to cobble together innings in the second half.

The problem is that as the season goes it, guys are regressing, not improving.    That IS on Hinch and his staff.   Not that he'll get fired, but I am not seeing improvement.    Since the 5-0 start.  

18-26 after that 5-0 start.     I expected better.   I expected better than half this lineup hitting under .200.       

There should be some improvement in some of these guys. 

And I just feel like Wenceel Perez won't last.   And sadly, he's been their best overall player and that is very unacceptable.  I feel like this horrible coaching staff are going to end up getting this guy overthinking everything like they seem to have with Tork and Greene.  

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I expected better offense and have been surprised by the pitching.  I expected slightly above .500, so a few games below isn't too far off.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I had them at 82-80 iirc, and they are a couple of games behind that pace. Not totally surprising to me either.

It seems like everyone is taking fire here (mostly Harris, but now Hinch and the coaching staff as well), but at some point, it's on the players. The younger players, like Torkelson, for the Tigers to really take that next step, their advancement was a prerequisite. IE. Not something that could be shortcut. And they largely haven't done it.... we've seen a few hot weeks here and there, but it's largely been ephemeral.

Until it happens, or until an alternative emerges (either through better performances, trades for different players, free agency next year or through the farm system), those kinda are the breaks at this point.

Edited by mtutiger

9 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

The Royals overachieving has a bunch of folks losing perspective. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Tigers and Royals ultimately finish within a game or two of each other. 

The fact that the Royals were active in free agency looms as well, though like the Rangers last year, they aren't where they are today (whether it's lasting or not) without the performances of their younger core.

Same thing with the Rangers last year.... they don't make that run without Josh Jung and their other homegrown talent. The Tigers just haven't seen the same level of production from hitters that have come up through the system to-date.

Hinch overmanages and suffers from the smartest guy in the room syndrome.  Like him or not, ilitch isn't eating his salary.  And how much does a manager really affect wins and losses?  I think a guy can lose games for you but not really do a lot to win them.