LOCKOUT '22: When will we see baseball again?

When will the regular season start?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. When will the regular season start?

• On Time (late March)
    • During April
    • During May
    • During June
    • During July
    • No season in 2022. Go Mud Hens !
    • Fire Ausmus

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Without the injury to Rogers he might have been a top-third catcher for the next few years, which I would have considered to be a decent return for Verlander at the time.  The JD trade didn't make any sense though, there was no market for righthanded power, Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion proved that during the previous off season.  Besides, everybody knew that Dombrowski wasn't going to let anyone else sign JD the following winter, so no one would give up anything of value for a half-year rental.  That being the case, it would have been smarter to just keep him for the rest of the year and let the fans enjoy him. 

It’s crazy how different the perception of Rogers’ future is from last year at this time.  Good for him for reclaiming that “prospect” status even if he’s a little old to be a prospect now.  

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

Oh, it’s possible.  The worst league record falls either 1st through 4th via lottery (percentage of permutations is 14% for 1st down to 12% for 4th).  It’s a 47.9% chance that the worst team falls out of the lottery to 5th.

Maybe there is something with the NBA draft that MLB could use, I don’t know.  Roster building in basketball is just so different than baseball.

What is the lowest draft spot possible for a league-worst team>

6 hours ago, alex said:

IMHO, it seemed at that 'time' the JV trade was needed on all Fronts (JV, Tigs, Houston,... ). However, that does not rule out a return perhaps some day as well...

I don’t know.  If it was needed that badly on all three fronts, it seems like a deal would have occurred before it played out in real life.

3 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Possibly.  I forget how much he was making but half a year's pay might have been around $10 million.  But all they were ever going to get in exchange was garbage, Avila shouldn't be criticized for the return on the trade if Ilitch wanted to dump the contract.

Right, to the degree that Ilitch forced Avila to dump JD for anything he could get, it's not his fault.

Whether it would have been smarter to keep JD for the fans depends entirely on how much Ilitch values the fans versus how much he values pocketing the $4-ish million.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

It’s crazy how different the perception of Rogers’ future is from last year at this time.  Good for him for reclaiming that “prospect” status even if he’s a little old to be a prospect now.  

Looking up his stats, it is surprising that he had only 127 PA in 2021.  I thought it was more than that.  That isn't nearly enough for me to be sold on him.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Without the injury to Rogers he might have been a top-third catcher for the next few years, which I would have considered to be a decent return for Verlander at the time.  The JD trade didn't make any sense though, there was no market for righthanded power, Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion proved that during the previous off season.  Besides, everybody knew that Dombrowski wasn't going to let anyone else sign JD the following winter, so no one would give up anything of value for a half-year rental.  That being the case, it would have been smarter to just keep him for the rest of the year and let the fans enjoy him. 

And IIRC Rogers wasn't even the centerpiece of the trade, Perez was. I didn't like the trade because I thought JV would have paid back his contract in better attendance at his games so any money rational was probably nonsense. But it's a little unfair to criticize the return esp in the hindsight of the litany of Perez injuries. It could just have easily have happened that JV's UCL gives out in 2018 and Perez stays healthy and joins the staff. Injuries are pretty random.

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Looking up his stats, it is surprising that he had only 127 PA in 2021.  I thought it was more than that.  That isn't nearly for me to be sold on him.  

Not sold yet, but the trend was certainly promising.  He certainly seems to have the arm and the glove.

11 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Not sold yet, but the trend was certainly promising.  He certainly seems to have the arm and the glove.

During his debut call up, his offense was poor, but it was his awful defense that was eye opening and concerning.  I don’t think his bat was ever considered to be his calling card, although he did have one pop in it.

Long term, I’m still hoping that they have something with Dingler.  If they can reasonably piece C together to bridge things until Dingler is ready, I’d be fine with that.

On 2/6/2022 at 3:35 PM, Tiger337 said:

Yes. his defense seems to be good.  Hopefully, the injury does not diminish his skills.  

The main thing Jake has to do when he comes back is to keep the bat unlocked. He does that and I think he’ll be at least in the conversation for All-Star bids.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This is a really good article, which may open a few eyes.

Just a reminder that the argument is not as black-and-white as "millionaires vs billionaires".

Bonus: this guy was interviewed for the story. Remember him?

Dave_Stegman.jpg

I thought Stegmasn was going to be awesome becasuse he batted .345 in AA ball.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I thought Stegmasn was going to be awesome becasuse he batted .345 in AA ball.  

Yeah Dave Stegman was looking like a pretty nice center fielder.  You could read a couple of Dirk Hayhurst's books to learn about the abject poverty that minor leaguers live in.  A year or 2 in the majors, at league minimum, hardly makes up for that.