LOCKOUT '22: When will we see baseball again?

When will the regular season start?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. When will the regular season start?

• On Time (late March)
    • During April
    • During May
    • During June
    • During July
    • No season in 2022. Go Mud Hens !
    • Fire Ausmus

29 minutes ago, oblong said:

Growing up I only knew Caputo from the Tigers shows that were on channel 4 with Eli. No joke but for a long time I thought he was blind.  Only memorable thing I heard him say was around 1995 or 1996 when he wondered if  they would change the name of the road at the palace to “Two Lottery Drive”.   

Are you sure you're not talking about Vic Caputo?    He was around back then.   

44 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Okay, I heard this on the radio today during Pat Caputo's show while I was driving around doing errands and swearing left and right about winter.  They said that Dan Dickerson can't say the names of the players on the Tigers roster.  Is this true?  If it is, we've gone way beyond ridiculous here.    I don't know if they were joking, but is Dickerson employed by the Tigers or by WJR?  

now granted it was Pat Caputo and for a sports writer his use of vocabulary is limited and as recently as 3 years ago he thought the NFL wild card teams played each other in the playoffs (and he was the Lions beat writer for the Oakland Press for several years). 

the Tigers flagship station is WXYT. Dickerson is employed by the Tigers Radio Network. I think you would say Dickerson is a Tigers employee. WXYT pays the Tigers for the rights to broadcast the games.

I worked for Metro Traffic for several years. When they came into the markets they would make agreements with stations where they would take over payment for certain employees who would still broadcast on stations. The stations would turn over a certain number of minutes of commercial time to sell to clients. Since you still represented the station you were on you were still loyal to the station.

The broadcast teams work similarly. They're probably effectively paid by the station but work for the team.

A bit of disclosure, when we first came to Detroit my wife's position included supervision of the Tigers and Wings (and Lions) broadcasts. It was primarily the go between between the station and the teams. She did that as well with the Bears the last couple of years we were in Chicago.

(She hates sports)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

I worked for Metro Traffic for several years. When they came into the markets they would make agreements with stations where they would take over payment for certain employees who would still broadcast on stations. The stations would turn over a certain number of minutes of commercial time to sell to clients. Since you still represented the station you were on you were still loyal to the station.

The broadcast teams work similarly. They're probably effectively paid by the station but work for the team.

A bit of disclosure, when we first came to Detroit my wife's position included supervision of the Tigers and Wings (and Lions) broadcasts. It was primarily the go between between the station and the teams. She did that as well with the Bears the last couple of years we were in Chicago.

(She hates sports)

Was it better for her job that she does hate sports, so she couldn't be unduly influenced in some way?

6 hours ago, oblong said:

Dickerson could also have a direct job with the Tigers in some capacity. He could also be an independent contractor.  Ken Daniels doesn’t work for Ballys or Sinclair. He works for whatever his corporation is called. He’s afreelancer. 

But still, he can't even say the players names?     That's a disgrace.  Not on Dan's part, but on the owners - if that's their stance.  Dumb little things like this make me believe that this lockout is not ending soon.    I hate baseball continue this slow suicide.  

Seems like their only real goal is to break the spirit of the union. If playing the games were really important to the owners, they would have the season continue while they continue negotiating the new CBA, instead of locking the players out and forcing games to be canceled.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Seems like their only real goal is to break the spirit of the union. If playing the games were really important to the owners, they would have the season continue while they continue negotiating the new CBA, instead of locking the players out and forcing games to be canceled.

I heard this on MLB radio the other day.  If MLB ballparks start adding concerts and other events to their 2022 Julian calendars.....

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Stop, without some type of deadline, they'd never settle. This puts the onus on both sides.

When it comes to “sides” I agree with the players. But I too am fed up with the echo chamber in some of the “media”. This isn’t a social Justice issue. There’s no moral imperative here. It’s business.  I want to watch baseball and I don’t care who wins or loses as long as I get to do that. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Cause the unions are different sizes and serve different purpsoes?

yup. Sort of a conflict between it being in the interest of MiLB players that it be easy to bring up minor leaguers and easy to cut older players at the end of their run, while it's the opposite for the current players, who want it to be costly to bring up minor leaguers and hard to cut or reduce the salaries of older players.

Edited by gehringer_2