LOCKOUT '22: When will we see baseball again?

When will the regular season start?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. When will the regular season start?

• On Time (late March)
    • During April
    • During May
    • During June
    • During July
    • No season in 2022. Go Mud Hens !
    • Fire Ausmus

11 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I would like to see the shift toned down by requiring 4 infielders on the dirt. Shifting in the infielder is fine but the softball player in shallow right field I don't care for . A line drive to shallow right should be a hit and the game needs base runners. 

I'm showing my ignorance here.  Is there a regulation about the exact dimension of the "dirt?"

35 minutes ago, apabruce said:

I'm showing my ignorance here.  Is there a regulation about the exact dimension of the "dirt?"

IDK, when teams use turf they aren't required to have dirt except for sliding boxes at the bases. They still painted a line though, even if it didn't matter to anything anything. e.g

image.png.0c37149db4bcb4f1022df881adcbb570.png

Edited by gehringer_2

On 2/20/2022 at 9:49 PM, casimir said:

I guess I got lost here.  Do mean differences between the sports or differences between majors/minors?  Or is it the difference on both variables?

All the above. It's like saying why aren't the teamsters the same as the AFT. They are different and serve different purposes. 

The NBA players union can work on behalf of the G league because its owned by the NBA, players are on NBA contracts and pay union dues. The MLBPA is representative of the MLB players not the thousands of minor league players on affiliates who aren't paying dues. 

The sizes is because while same number of teams the NBA player pool is way more smaller than the MLB one. There is such as huge difference between rookie ball and the top of the major leagues that it wouldn't behoove players at the top to give up something to help those that will never ever reach their level, especially in an uncapped system. The nba with its cap and revenue sharing makes that easier because there is a finite resource available for the top players. 

This was back in like 2008ish but my neighbor befriended a AAAA pitcher Roman Colon who he met out on the water in Lake St. Clair I guess. He pitched  for a cup of coffee with the Tigers around that time, long story short he would show up routinely to my neighbors house in these high end cars, like there was a Aston Martin, Mercedes coupe convertible(not sure of the model) and Bentley, so one day I asked him who was driving these cars that were always at his house and he told me.  Now I don't know his financial history or if he made money elsewhere but it caught me off guard cause I always assumed guys like that didn't make much money but I guess it doesn't take many MLB paychecks to accumulate some wealth. 

A friend of mine worked in a bank's check processing center in the early 90's and the Tigers used this bank.  He came across some player's checks.  One was 80K and the other 50K.  They got this twice a month. These weren't the best players either.  They were regulars but it wasn't guys like Fryman or Fielder or even an Eric Davis.   When you see it split up like that you can see the magnitude I think.  

Another friend had a connection to Jason Varitek, his friend's cousin.  They went to Chicago for a weekend and the Red Sox were in town.  He invited them to the hotel bar. This group of 6 guys rang up a bill for a few thousand.  It was a fancy hotel so drinks were marked up quite a bit I assume.  Jason took care of it.  Didn't think twice about it. It would be like us buying a couple of hot and ready's for a group of guys that came over.

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

This was back in like 2008ish but my neighbor befriended a AAAA pitcher Roman Colon who he met out on the water in Lake St. Clair I guess. He pitched  for a cup of coffee with the Tigers around that time, long story short he would show up routinely to my neighbors house in these high end cars, like there was a Aston Martin, Mercedes coupe convertible(not sure of the model) and Bentley, so one day I asked him who was driving these cars that were always at his house and he told me.  Now I don't know his financial history or if he made money elsewhere but it caught me off guard cause I always assumed guys like that didn't make much money but I guess it doesn't take many MLB paychecks to accumulate some wealth. 

I guess the point I was making with this is that while I totally side with the players as a fan if this scenario is commonplace with players it's hard to feel sorry for the ones that leave baseball without any money. 

3 hours ago, oblong said:

A friend of mine worked in a bank's check processing center in the early 90's and the Tigers used this bank.  He came across some player's checks.  One was 80K and the other 50K.  They got this twice a month. These weren't the best players either.  They were regulars but it wasn't guys like Fryman or Fielder or even an Eric Davis.   When you see it split up like that you can see the magnitude I think.  

Another friend had a connection to Jason Varitek, his friend's cousin.  They went to Chicago for a weekend and the Red Sox were in town.  He invited them to the hotel bar. This group of 6 guys rang up a bill for a few thousand.  It was a fancy hotel so drinks were marked up quite a bit I assume.  Jason took care of it.  Didn't think twice about it. It would be like us buying a couple of hot and ready's for a group of guys that came over.

If Varitek is generous enough to pick up a tab like that once a week for a whole year, that's at least 100 bills in a year just for drinks.

He made $67 million during his big league career.

Hot and ready, indeed.

I was in my room and I was just staring at my computer thinking about everything but then again , I was thinking about nothing and Rob Manfred came in and I didn't even know he was there and he called my name and I didn't hear and then he started screaming "Mark!, Mark!" and I go "What's the matter?" and he goes "What's that matter with you" and I go "There's nothing wrong, Rob".  He goes "Don't tell me that, you're on drugs"  I go "No Rob, I'm not on drugs, I'm just thinking, you know?  Why don't you get me some baseball?" and he goes "NO! YOU'RE NOT THINKING, YOU'RE ON DRUGS! Normal people don't act that way" and I go "Rob, just get me some baseball please, all I want is some baseball and he wouldn't give it to me, All I wanted was baseball, just some baseball and He won't give it to me, Just some baseball. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I was in my room and I was just staring at my computer thinking about everything but then again , I was thinking about nothing and Rob Manfred came in and I didn't even know he was there and he called my name and I didn't hear and then he started screaming "Mark!, Mark!" and I go "What's the matter?" and he goes "What's that matter with you" and I go "There's nothing wrong, Rob".  He goes "Don't tell me that, you're on drugs"  I go "No Rob, I'm not on drugs, I'm just thinking, you know?  Why don't you get me some baseball?" and he goes "NO! YOU'RE NOT THINKING, YOU'RE ON DRUGS! Normal people don't act that way" and I go "Rob, just get me some baseball please, all I want is some baseball and he wouldn't give it to me, All I wanted was baseball, just some baseball and He won't give it to me, Just some baseball. 

i'll have what you're having...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I guess the point I was making with this is that while I totally side with the players as a fan if this scenario is commonplace with players it's hard to feel sorry for the ones that leave baseball without any money. 

according to BR, roman colon earned over $1.8 million in his career.  my heart bleeds for these poor, underpaid baseball players.

just like it bleeds for the poor owners.  i couldnt care less how they divide up their money.  

entertain me, that's all i care about.  its all any of us really care about.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KL2 said:

All the above. It's like saying why aren't the teamsters the same as the AFT. They are different and serve different purposes. 

The NBA players union can work on behalf of the G league because its owned by the NBA, players are on NBA contracts and pay union dues. The MLBPA is representative of the MLB players not the thousands of minor league players on affiliates who aren't paying dues. 

The sizes is because while same number of teams the NBA player pool is way more smaller than the MLB one. There is such as huge difference between rookie ball and the top of the major leagues that it wouldn't behoove players at the top to give up something to help those that will never ever reach their level, especially in an uncapped system. The nba with its cap and revenue sharing makes that easier because there is a finite resource available for the top players. 

My understanding is that NBA has a pretty direct oversight of the G.  MLB doesn’t have quite the same authority over MiLB, but it seems to be increasing.

I think the G league article mentioned a $50K salary.  Call a minor league roster 30 players (extra players for injuries), and a minor league team is at $1.5M in player salaries.  Each MLB team has, what, 6 minor league teams?  They can’t cover $9M in reasonable minor league player salaries?

The NBA owns the G league.  MLB doesn’t own all of the minor league teams. They own some of them but for instance the Toledo Mud Hens are their own business unit. There’s no contractual reason stopping them from ending affiliation with MLB and entering an independent league. Obviously they would have to provide their own players and staff at that point though. 

15 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

you're fucking with me subliminally 

15 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

For those of you wondering what this was about,  Here's the source material

• Like 1

15 hours ago, buddha said:

according to BR, roman colon earned over $1.8 million in his career.  my heart bleeds for these poor, underpaid baseball players.

just like it bleeds for the poor owners.  i couldnt care less how they divide up their money.  

entertain me, that's all i care about.  its all any of us really care about.

I would like to see the minor leaguers treated a lot better, but I don't feel bad for the Major League players.  I would rather see the players win than the owners, but it's not a social justice issue.    

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I would like to see the minor leaguers treated a lot better, but I don't feel bad for the Major League players.  I would rather see the players win than the owners, but it's not a social justice issue.    

philosophically, it's easier to be with the players, since they provide the value, but intellectually I can't get past the fact that player salaries help price the live game out of reach of ordinary fans. There's no way to square that circle.

12 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

what would a "win" for the players look like?