Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, microline133 said:

I'm not even convinced Jobe should be on there right now. It's not unreasonable to say the Tigers have no Top 100-worthy players in their system as of right now.

With all due respects to Emily, you should be making the Tigers list.

i dont think much of prospect lists anymore.  i enjoy reading about prospects (which is certainly why they make the lists), but after years of seeing guys on such lists be total busts, im not convinced they mean anything.

i remember chris illitch crowing about all our prospects because they were on some lists.  what did that get us?  nothing.

im looking forward to the new crew and hope they can develop talent better than the old crew.  that's all we can hope for now.  lists schmists.

I think that I have subscribed to BA for 20 seasons, or so. Highlight was in 2003 when In the chat, me, Eddie and Brian all asked Pat Caputo why Cody Ross wasn't in the top 10. I think Cody was 21 years old and playing well in Toledo at the time.

Edited by Cruzer1

27 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont think much of prospect lists anymore.  i enjoy reading about prospects (which is certainly why they make the lists), but after years of seeing guys on such lists be total busts, im not convinced they mean anything.

This is fair. Personally, I think lists have a place if done properly.

It really boils down to the construction of the list and what the author actually tries to accomplish. If the goal of the list is to educate, give an honest assessment of strengths, weaknesses, potential, etc., then that can have value and the list is really just the convenient vehicle for communicating the information about the players. If the goal of the list is to garner clicks, garner favor with people by saying nice things about players, and gain access by furthering org information, then the list has absolutely zero value.

In this regard, I think the current state of Tigers prospect analysis/writing has regressed substantially the last 3-4 years. There's no education or honesty in the analysis and writing, it's just click bait, puff pieces, and overly positive evaluations because people aren't willing to be honest because they are afraid someone will get mad at them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The lists are fun, but I think it would be sufficient to just have tiers.  I want to know which Tigers prospects have a chance to be stars, which have a chance to be starters, which have a chance to make the majors.  Those might not be the exact tiers, but something like that.  I don't need to see a rank attached to their name.  I just want to know which ones to follow most closely.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

The lists are fun, but I think it would be sufficient to just have tiers.  I want to know which Tigers prospects have a chance to be stars, which have a chance to be starters, which have a chance to make the majors.  Those might not be the exact tiers, but something like that.  I don't need to see a rank attached to their name.  I just want to know which ones to follow most closely.   

I enjoy the individual player write-ups.  I don’t give a shit about their rankings, whether within the organization or compared to other teams prospects.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

yeah, but then the list will say how beau burrows and alex faedo and joey wentz are all in the star tier!

rather than the "middle relief if were lucky" tier.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

yeah, but then the list will say how beau burrows and alex faedo and joey wentz are all in the star tier!

rather than the "middle relief if were lucky" tier.

yeah, I know.  It depends on who is making the tiers.  84Lives!!! is not making the tiers!

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Lists are just incredibly subjective and not immune to being biased based on sources and methods used in compilation.

I don't know enough about each specific list to know who is more reliable than who has a better track record, but none of them bat .1000... Otherwise Jeter Downs wouldn't have been DFA fodder this offseason, for instance

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

yeah, I know.  It depends on who is making the tiers.  84Lives!!! is not making the tiers!

i love 84lives' lists!  

the hardest choice on those lists is whether casey mize or tarik skubal is going to win more cy young awards.

• Like 1

As far as Colt Keith is concerned, as encouraging as he has been, fans should have a bit more humility and be open to all range of outcomes, including ones that aren't as positive as expected. And that the lack of him making a Top 100 list doesn't automatically make a list not have merit.

I would say the same in the other direction as well...

5 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

If we're making tiers, do we need an ML Tigers tier and an ML Braves tier? Reyes, Castro and Castro don't even make the Braves legal team.

The law firm of Castro, Castro and Reyes going 3/3 on landing minor league deals remains the least surprising development of the offseason.

Low key one of the bigger indictments of Avila that each got as many chances as they did

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

One last thought on the list discussion: the problem with the Tigers isn't representation on lists... only having one guy on one of the lists doesn't make a system inherently bad. What makes them bad is that the  Tigers have produced precious few major leaguers among players who aren't list material. Particularly on the position player side.

The same cannot be said of the Cleveland Guardians, St. Louis Cardinals, among a lot of orgs, who manage to find productive everyday ballplayers from prospects who aren't "Top 100" material.

That's a big piece that I hope changes under this new regime. They cant have a feast or famine minor leagues composed of high draft picks and literally nothing else and expect to be successful.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

The law firm of Castro, Castro and Reyes going 3/3 on landing minor league deals remains the least surprising development of the offseason.

Low key one of the bigger indictments of Avila that each got as many chances as they did

I wish those scamps could have been adopted together.  At least they can FaceTime each other.

On 1/18/2023 at 6:19 PM, mtutiger said:

As far as Colt Keith is concerned, as encouraging as he has been, fans should have a bit more humility and be open to all range of outcomes, including ones that aren't as positive as expected. And that the lack of him making a Top 100 list doesn't automatically make a list not have merit.

I would say the same in the other direction as well...

I think the reason for his demotion from the list is because his defense at third is kind of meh. But he does have a big arm, and I think the Tigers should be moving him out to RF asap to take advantage of his arm. I think his offense is ready to blow up, especially if he starts the year in the band box known as Erie.