Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Salt River, the AFL team the Tigers feed, is 0-8, scoring the fewest runs and giving up the most.

Wentz, Mattison, Anderson are doing OK, and Walker only pitched 2 innings (SSS alert for all)

Keith and Dingler are fine; Meadows has done little since homering to open play; Workman is 0/14 with 8 Ks

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Salt River, the AFL team the Tigers feed, is 0-8, scoring the fewest runs and giving up the most.

Wentz, Mattison, Anderson are doing OK, and Walker only pitched 2 innings (SSS alert for all)

Keith and Dingler are fine; Meadows has done little since homering to open play; Workman is 0/14 with 8 Ks

i still feel that every prospect acquired by avila is suspect.

18 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Rafters got the W tonight finally and, fortunately, Dingler had a nice game in the process. 2-2, 2 RBI, 1 BB.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but with the pieces currently in the system its hard to envision us being a contender anytime soon unless we aquire a bit of talent from outside the system whether it be shrewd trades or signings there just aren't enough guys in the minors that you can realistically peg or hope to be solid players anytime in the near future. 

It would take a major stroke of good fortune where most or all of your lottery ticket players hit to be contenders with the current crop of players we have throughout the system.

21 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

A ray of light....

Tigers aren't without hope. I would count Turnbull's return, Skubal possibly mid-season, Greene and Tork improvement, Wentz and Colt Keith as reasonable hopes. That is 6 roster spots of possible improvement. If Harris brings in 2 or 3, the level of upgrade could be significant. For all of those things to go right would be about are rare as the consistency of things that went wrong in 2022, so we are due a little better luck. That much? Who knows? But to excel in a particular baseball season is, as often as not, driven by an ample dose of good luck.

Edited by gehringer_2

We should also hope that:

Jake Rogers performs better than Tucker Barnhart circa 2022

Eduardo Rodriguez performs better than Eduardo Rodriguez circa 2022

Javier Baez performs better than Javier Baez circa 2022

Austin Meadows performs better than Austin Meadows circa 2022

Matt Manning performs better than Matt Manning circa 2022

Akil Baddoo performs better than Akil Baddoo circa 2022

Kerry Carpenter is real and not a mirage

Does Alex Lange take the next step and take over the Closer position, pushing Soto to set-up? Or is that Joe Jimenez that gets his old job back (if he's worth it)?

Miggy plays no more than 40 games and spends the rest of his time on the 60-day IL

Dingler and Keith make it to AAA and excel (I'll throw Parker Meadows in here as well...) and show themselves to have a real chance to make it in MLB, perhaps even a September call-up for each...

Beau Brieske shows himself to be a competent Major League 4th/ 5th starter, no matter where he's actually pitching...

Just a few thoughts... thinking out loud...

57 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

No but it’s amazing how hard I try to get insight from roster churn. Just show me the money !!!

I think a lot of folks are intrigued about what Harris does this off-season.  The great unknown about his first steps to try to bring this team back to some semblance of decent competition.

• 2 weeks later...

Gage also has 15 K's in 37 AB's--worse than his 40% K rate at Erie.  The tools are there, and he is young for the league, so hopefully he can learn some plate discipline to make him more viable.

On a positive note, Colt Keith is raking down there, Joey Wentz has a 0.00 ERA in 3 starts and Parker Meadows, while not hitting for high average, has a low K rate, which is encouraging.

35 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Gage also has 15 K's in 37 AB's--worse than his 40% K rate at Erie.  The tools are there, and he is young for the league, so hopefully he can learn some plate discipline to make him more viable.

On a positive note, Colt Keith is raking down there, Joey Wentz has a 0.00 ERA in 3 starts and Parker Meadows, while not hitting for high average, has a low K rate, which is encouraging.

K rates like Workman's normally don't bode well for the ability to level up to even tougher pitching, but there are always a few guys that play against the norms. I just wouldn't count on it. He's still more a 'project' than a 'prospect.'

Edited by gehringer_2