Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

• 3 weeks later...

Parker Meadows and hitting the fastball had been a question on the off season thread, Petzold has a report on Parker's efforts to fix that over the last year.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2022/11/30/detroit-tigers-parker-meadows-put-myself-back-on-the-map/69682760007/

some highlights:

Last offseason, Meadows changed his mechanics. He focused on bat path, bat speed and repeatability with Georgia-based hitting instructor Shane Hopper. Shortening his swing and replacing a natural hitch with a movement that resembles a toe-tap ..

....From 2021 to 2022, Meadows' fastball wOBAcon — weighted on-base average on contact — jumped .123, meaning his production improved when putting fastballs in play. His contact rate against fastballs increased by about 8 percentage points (to 83.3%), and his chase rate decreased by about 10 percentage points (to 13.3%). Breaking balls and off-speed pitches disrupt Meadows at times, but he finished the minor-league season with a 19.3% chase rate and 75.7% contact rate against all pitches....

Instant video entered the Tigers' minor league clubhouses in Garko's first season leading the player development department. Meadows took a liking to the feedback and implemented the technology into his routine. After each game, he inspected his mechanics, approach and results.

He praised his successes and critiqued his shortcomings.

"I've never really been a video guy, but this year, I got into it a little bit,"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Its funny how seemingly any Tigers player that makes a positive change does so from a private instructor outside the organization. I imagine the answer is no but is it like that for other teams?

Read in full, Petzold implies that Garko has been a driver in revamping hitting development org wide.

I don't think it necessarily reflects on the org that guys work with outside instructors in the off season - it is afterall *off-season*. The question is can the org's people then build constructively on a player's off-season work or do they push him back to the same  approaches they favor but he may have been failing with?

And of course there is no guarantee it doesn't work the other way. remember last year Skubal came to ST with a split-finger that his outside coaching had him all charged up about - turned out to have been a bad idea and the Tigers had to bring him back more to where he had been.

Edited by gehringer_2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Lynn's top 50;

Top 5: Keith, Pacheco, Jobe, Jung, Meadows

no idea who Reylin Perez (his #18) is

(This year, Lynn only listed two players as HM who have already been released.)

I'm hoping Lipcius turns out the be a late bloomer/sleeper out of that draft. At the end of '21 he was probably off any list anyone wanted to make, but got better instead of disappearing - so maybe he can keep finding more untapped upside.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I actually have more faith in him than I do Kreidler, at least offensively.

I doubt he's a starter in the league, but Lipcius' plate discipline likely reflects favorably on his chances with the new front office.

Edited by mtutiger

• 3 weeks later...

No idea how much money has been spent, but a few more names are showing up on the Tigers international signing list. The Tigers have a pool amount of 6,366,900

Detroit Tigers ($6,366,900)

Enrique Jimenez, C, Venezuela
Cristian Perez, OF, Dominican Republic
Anibal Salas, OF, Venezuela
Maikol Orozco, SS, Venezuela
Abelardo Medrano, OF, Dominican Republic
Brandy Caraballo, OF, Dominican Republic
Juan Hernandez, SS, Venezuela
Leonardo Leon, RHP, Venezuela
Luis Vasquez, RHP, Dominican Republic
Johan Estrada, C, Venezuela
Nelson Marin, , Venezuela
Willian Berti, OF, Venezuela
Erickson De Los Santos, LHP, Dominican Republic
Deibi Rodriguez, RHP Venezuela
Andy Mateo, RHP, Dominican Republic

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2023-mlb-international-signing-agreements-tracker/

Lynn bemoaned the lack of an international draft; admitted that the Tigers are not currently in a position to exploit the current exploitive, unseemly system; made a good point that they only signed DR and Ven kids; other teams are operating elsewhere.

It’s a virtually lawless, sordid world, the underground that doubles as a baseball environment while it plays out with these teens

Edited by RatkoVarda

13 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Lynn bemoaned the lack of an international draft; admitted that the Tigers are not currently in a position to exploit the current exploitive, unseemly system; made a good point that they only signed DR and Ven kids; other teams are operating elsewhere.

It’s a virtually lawless, sordid world, the underground that doubles as a baseball environment while it plays out with these teens

One of their signings is from Colombia. They signed a kid from New Zealand last year. Have one from a few years ago from Italy. Have signed many over the years from Mexico, Panama, Austrailia... Bojarski was from South Africa. Lest we forget Roberto Campos is from Cuba.

Edited by Edman85