Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

Aah, yeah, right.

But it still might be minorly valuable to add that glove to his resume. Aside from they sort of got to...

I’m all for adding value to players by having them play other positions.  Its just tough to see how his career sub .700 minor league OPS will do anything for the Tigers in the majors.

56 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Maybe Ali Sanchez as a backup catcher? .732 OPS this year in AAA before today's 3 for 4 (all singles). He's playing 1st Base so they're trying to expand his positions for a utility role in 2023? I could do that. Rogers at Catcher and Haase backing up + OF/ RH'd DH and Sanchez as backup catcher and 1B and...? I think he's the better defensive catcher so he's our #1 backup catcher next year? Just a WAG...

That's 3 catchers plus Cabrera.  I don't think that a backup firstbaseman is something that you can afford.

3 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's 3 catchers plus Cabrera.  I don't think that a backup firstbaseman is something that you can afford.

You know I've already "retired" Cabrera right? Mentally and emotionally (if only I had the power to do that managerially...).

And I believe the assessment is that Haase isn't the greatest defensive catcher...?

Last point: Sanchez could very well possibly still be the 3rd catcher... but still at Toledo in 2023?

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

I’m all for adding value to players by having them play other positions.  Its just tough to see how his career sub .700 minor league OPS will do anything for the Tigers in the majors.

Backup.

Catcher.

Defense first.

Edited by 1984Echoes

18 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Ali Sanchez is probably a 40 man guy at this point, unless the team is more aggressive with Dillon Dingler than one anticipates. But it's hard to see him breaking camp with the Tigers

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Parker so far today with another double, 2 for 4 and also his 15the steal of the year.

Ended 3/5. Almost hope he cools off a little so we can see where he really is going to settle. He's now at a 970 OPS since August 1st - it doesn't seem likely  that is really his new "normal"!!

August Highlights AVG/OBP/SLG/wRC+

Meadows .290/.370/.600/154
Dingler .244/.347/.439/116
Campos .288/.389/.413/133
Santana .189/.429/.396/149
Sequera .237/.283/.440/103
Jung .231/.378/.321/107
Pacheco .200/.275/.400/84 (Injured during this month)
Lipcius .311/.395/.500/139
Crouch .265/.318/.449/110
Reylin Perez .306/.457/.592/177 (17 year old in the DSL little to no video on him so hope they bring him stateside next year)

Santana with what could only be described as an interesting statline.

57 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

August Highlights AVG/OBP/SLG/wRC+

Meadows .290/.370/.600/154
Dingler .244/.347/.439/116
Campos .288/.389/.413/133
Santana .189/.429/.396/149
Sequera .237/.283/.440/103
Jung .231/.378/.321/107
Pacheco .200/.275/.400/84 (Injured during this month)
Lipcius .311/.395/.500/139
Crouch .265/.318/.449/110
Reylin Perez .306/.457/.592/177 (17 year old in the DSL little to no video on him so hope they bring him stateside next year)

Santana with what could only be described as an interesting statline.

Strange state line for Santana for sure. Overall the guy has held his own as the youngest positional  player in that league. A 117 RC+ for the year is pretty solid. 

Garcia consensus from everything I have gathered. Big J2 signing in 2017, did great in complex league in 2018. Promoted to full season ball rather aggressively the next year and it was clear he was overmatched. Repeated the level after the pandemic and found his footing, really got hot late last year, prompting the Phillies to add him to the 40 man sooner than they had hoped. It does look like he fell on his face this year, but I don't know the extent of his injury.

Scouting consensus seems to be slick fielder who needs to hit, and his hitting has been pretty Jeckyl/Hyde.

I don't mind this pickup, but don't think he is worth a 40 man spot over the offseason. It can't hurt to try to slip him through waivers after the season and give him next year to try to find something. He's only 21. It seems like a lottery ticket.

Edited by Edman85

51 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I don't mind this pickup, but don't think he is worth a 40 man spot over the offseason. It can't hurt to try to slip him through waivers after the season and give him next year to try to find something. He's only 21. It seems like a lottery ticket.

Probably a decent gamble....

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Probably a decent gamble....

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Looks like it was a hand injury that had him out much of the time from late April-mid July. I can see how that would adversely affect a hitting line.

The Tigs people will look at him now. Lets hope they have a decent crystal ball to go with all the analytics.

On 9/3/2022 at 11:42 AM, microline133 said:

Meadows has garnered a little more praise, but I still haven't found anyone that suddenly believes he's an above-average regular. Given his developmental arc and the swing and miss still present in his game, 

He has greatly reduced his strikeout rate this year, to 17%, despite the promotion.