Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

24 minutes ago, buddha said:

this whole thread is like lucy with the football and were all charlie brown.

i'm ready for the new regime's draft picks.  i have little faith in anything acquired when avila was the gm.  greene looks ok.  but avila has even ruined the #1 pick in the draft TWICE. now we hear jung cant hit velocity?  so we drafted cristian stewart again?  only this time in round one.  sweet.

call me in 5 years when the next regime's picks are ready.

Look, I can understand the pessimism I get it. Our prospects that we thought would bring a sense of life to the team have for the most part done the opposite. To be fair the two #1 picks were pretty much consensus #1 picks at the time so if he had picked someone else and we saw Mize and Tork tearing up the minors we would be bemoaning the picks like people are with Jobe and Mayer prior to being pushed to the big leagues. Jace Jung has had less than 100 professional AB's so lets pump the breaks on calling him Cristian Stewart. II think the marked improvements of prospects that essentially were assumed dead weight (Meadows, Lipcius, Perez) show that while Avila may have been running the show the changes made to the minors and player development look to be on the upswing. I can't wait for the next GM as well to hopefully bring even more modernization to the game and player development but just because Avila is involved I have a hard time writing off solid prospects that people outside of the org are also recognizing. 

31 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Look, I can understand the pessimism I get it. Our prospects that we thought would bring a sense of life to the team have for the most part done the opposite. To be fair the two #1 picks were pretty much consensus #1 picks at the time so if he had picked someone else and we saw Mize and Tork tearing up the minors we would be bemoaning the picks like people are with Jobe and Mayer prior to being pushed to the big leagues. Jace Jung has had less than 100 professional AB's so lets pump the breaks on calling him Cristian Stewart. II think the marked improvements of prospects that essentially were assumed dead weight (Meadows, Lipcius, Perez) show that while Avila may have been running the show the changes made to the minors and player development look to be on the upswing. I can't wait for the next GM as well to hopefully bring even more modernization to the game and player development but just because Avila is involved I have a hard time writing off solid prospects that people outside of the org are also recognizing. 

understood.

counterpoints: if the guys you mentioned were going to be good major league players, they would have developed already.  and their development now has more to do with them just getting older and wont translate at the major league level.  

i heard that about jung and velocity.  no idea if its true.  and honestly, i think a lot of the stuff coming out of tigers' writers right now is being fed to them by people who want to make avila look bad.  so i dont know how much stock we can actually put into it.

but as ive said, i think avila has a long track record of not being able to identify and/or develop talent.  so i whatever we get out of his drafts is gravy.  i'll believe any of those guys will be quality players when i see it.

hopefully it was all on the development side and we'll see some actual results when a new group comes in with new ideas.

or we can just promote david chadd and assume things will change.  that's basically what they did the last time.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

understood.

counterpoints: if the guys you mentioned were going to be good major league players, they would have developed already.  and their development now has more to do with them just getting older and wont translate at the major league level.  

i heard that about jung and velocity.  no idea if its true.  and honestly, i think a lot of the stuff coming out of tigers' writers right now is being fed to them by people who want to make avila look bad.  so i dont know how much stock we can actually put into it.

Counter to your counter: Development is not linear; two of the guys listed (Perez and Meadows) are 22 years old. They are 2 years younger than their average competition.   That being said given the lack of development/talent from Avila I would agree any true MLers that come out of his remaining draft picks will be as you said gravy.

• Like 1

Glad to see you’re consistent on Twitter, too.  What’s the value in bullying or calling out others that lack your superior analytical skills?  This isn’t the first time you’ve run over here to degrade someone who is just trying to provide content.

btw, how’s your updated Tigers prospect list coming?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Glad to see you’re consistent on Twitter, too.  What’s the value in bullying or calling out others that lack your superior analytical skills?  This isn’t the first time you’ve run over here to degrade someone who is just trying to provide content.

btw, how’s your updated Tigers prospect list coming?

Tweeting a "fact" that no Tigers draft produced three players on the same roster at once when there are 13 counterpoints among the 21 drafts is pretty bad, no?

Social media engagement first, facts later. Providing inaccurate content is doing a disservice.

Edited by Edman85

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Tweeting a "fact" that no Tigers draft produced three players on the same roster at once when there are 13 counterpoints among the 21 drafts is pretty bad, no?

Social media engagement first, facts later. Providing inaccurate content is doing a disservice.

So I’m clear—you discreetly DM’d him to make him aware of his mistake?

13 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yes.

So do we shift Baez over to 2B...?

Like... today?

I doubt that it happens this season.  Kreidler might get some chances at SS, but it will probably be with Baez at DH or out of the game.  My guess is that he'll get opportunities around the IF, maybe not necessarily every day, but maybe 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4 games, something like that.

I don't think they'll move their prized offseason position player acquisition off of SS.  They've already had enough bad press with the rebuild is over followed by Avila's firing, and the on field play, and Rodriguez' absence (regardless of the true story behind it), etc.

20 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Jace Jung has had less than 100 professional AB's so lets pump the breaks on calling him Cristian Stewart. II think the marked improvements of prospects that essentially were assumed dead weight (Meadows, Lipcius, Perez) show that while Avila may have been running the show the changes made to the minors and player development look to be on the upswing. I can't wait for the next GM as well to hopefully bring even more modernization to the game and player development but just because Avila is involved I have a hard time writing off solid prospects that people outside of the org are also recognizing. 

The rumors about Jung are the kind of thing that are catnip for this fanbase. Especially with Avila gone... 

My own sense is that Al Avila drafting players, as bad as his drafts were, doesn't inherently mean each individual player he drafted is worthless. And as a fan of this team, I like following the development of these players and seeing what comes of it. For better or worse.

Doesn't mean that I don't think his successor will give us more to look at or be excited about, obviously. 

13 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Just had a twitter experience that reminded me why the current state of Tigers Prospect Twitter is so bad.

How wrong do you think this is and how do you think he reacted when I fact checked.

Screenshot_20220831_183434.jpg

While I may not agree with the tactics this was a pretty bad "fact". Even his cover up reasoning was not great. That being said he did delete it and did not retweet a correction. You know what they say don't let facts get in the way of a good story. 

18 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The interesting thing to me on the Jung thing is how somebody had to leak that to Stavenhagen. I wonder who, and how that reveals communication/relationship breakdown within the front office. If there was an uprising, is that what finally woke up Illitch?

Do you remember Hinch's response to a question about the dealine (non)deals to the effect that "I was not in the room when those decisions were being made" (paraphrasing from memory there...).

You could gloss that as something that was technically true by necessity (Hinch was with the team playing games), but the tone sounded more to me like a broader statement about where the relationship had gone. Maybe a subtle distinction, but what a 180 deg turn from the kum-ba-yah we heard early last season when Hinch was bubbling about a working relationship new to him because he had never had a GM that just dropped by the office all the time.....

Edited by gehringer_2