Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

16 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

De La Rosa as in Eric De La Rosa? He may not even get protected from the AAA Phase.

Anyways, McCosky doesn't know what he is talking about, in general. In the case of SGL, they don't pick him up in the deadline if they don't plan on adding him.

Honestly, I think you brought it up when they got him that by acquiring him they knew he would have to be protected in the rule 5 and put on the 40 man and we did MN a favor by making it easier on them and their 40 man. Good thing there is quite a bit of dead weight that can be slid off of it after the season. 

This is a bit dated, but this type of calculation is a lot more reasonable than anything McCosky and his complete lack of ability to understand any roster rules or nuance could muster. Note the Tigers aren't listed, which implies they don't have a crunch to worry about. Plenty if flotsam on the current 40 man.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/examining-the-american-leagues-2022-40-man-crunch/

A few lines from tonight of note. 

Tork a double for 4 with a walk.

Dingler 2 for 4 with a HR and a walk.

Santana a Homer for 3 with a walk.

On a side note while looking at the AAA box scores I noticed our old pal Christin Stewart is still around playing for the Worcester Sox, he hit his 19th HR of the season and now has an OPS in the upper .800s. I wonder if he will ever get another crack at the big leagues or if he is just going to be a minor league lifer?

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

A few lines from tonight of note. 

Tork a double for 4 with a walk.

Dingler 2 for 4 with a HR and a walk.

Santana a Homer for 3 with a walk.

On a side note while looking at the AAA box scores I noticed our old pal Christin Stewart is still around playing for the Worcester Sox, he hit his 19th HR of the season and now has an OPS in the upper .800s. I wonder if he will ever get another crack at the big leagues or if he is just going to be a minor league lifer?

Wentz 5IP 2H 1ER 3BB 2K 1HR.  2K not much but 2H in 5 not bad.

In the format of the Fangraphs article.

Current 40 man: 46

Pending Free agents: 3 plus two opt outs

Must-add prospects: Austin Bergner, Ryan Kreidler, Parker Meadows, Reese Olson, Wenceel Perez

40-man fringe: Drew Hutchison, Jeimer Candelario, Jose Cisnero, Victor Reyes, Harold Castro, Willi Castro, Eric Haase, Zack Short, Kody Clemens, Ali Sanchez, Alex Faedo, Daz Cameron, Bryan Garcia, Elvin Rodriguez, Angel De Jesus, Luis Castillo, Brandon Davis, Rony Garcia, Kyle Funkhouser

Fringe prospects: Eliezer Alfonzo, Elvis Alvarado, Yaya Chentouf, Jose De La Cruz, Sawyer Gipson-Long, Zack Hess, Jake Holton, Chance Kirby, Andre Lipcius, Andrew Navigato, Adinso Reyes, Brendan White, Adam Wolf

Edited by Edman85
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

In the format of the Fangraphs article.

Current 40 man: 46

Pending Free agents: 3 plus two opt outs

Must-add prospects: Austin Bergner, Ryan Kreidler, Parker Meadows, Reese Olson, Wenceel Perez

40-man fringe: Drew Hutchison, Jeimer Candelario, Jose Cisnero, Victor Reyes, Harold Castro, Willi Castro, Eric Haase, Zack Short, Kody Clemens, Ali Sanchez, Alex Faedo, Daz Cameron, Elvin Rodriguez, Angel De Jesus, Luis Castillo, Brandon Davis, Rony Garcia, Kyle Funkhouser

Fringe prospects: Eliezer Alfonzo, Elvis Alvarado, Yaya Chentouf, Jose De La Cruz, Sawyer Gipson-Long, Zack Hess, Jake Holton, Chance Kirby, Andre Lipcius, Andrew Navigato, Adinso Reyes, Brendan White, Adam Wolf

Some of those 60 Day IL guys will be staying there as well for at least part of 2023 as well (Mize, Skubal).

It would seem like they'd have enough room for the must adds and a couple of the fringey guys once they cull the chaff of the current roster (ie. Short, Cameron, Clemens, Davis, Castillo, Hutch would be my guess, but the team may have different ideas)

19 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Some of those 60 Day IL guys will be staying there as well for at least part of 2023 as well (Mize, Skubal).

It would seem like they'd have enough room for the must adds and a couple of the fringey guys once they cull the chaff of the current roster (ie. Short, Cameron, Clemens, Davis, Castillo, Hutch would be my guess, but the team may have different ideas)

Players are removed from the 60 day IL at some point after the season can't be put back on until sometime around spring training - in other words, they will count against the 40 man for the Rule 5 status.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/why-isnt-the-60-day-dl-year-round/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

Players are removed from the 60 day IL at some point after the season can't be put back on until sometime around spring training - in other words, they will count against the 40 man for the Rule 5 status.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/why-isnt-the-60-day-dl-year-round/

Thanks.....

Still enough chaff to clear room one would imagine.

34 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

You have to activate 60 day guys in the offseasom.

• Thanks 1

Scouring the box scores tonight and not a whole lot of positive things to pass on that I can gather. Kriedler had a nice day going 3-5 with a HR bringing his season OPS to .795 in Toledo.  Also Gage Workman was 2-4 with a double and triple down in Erie. 

On the pitching front Reese Olson went 6 innings of 4 run baseball with 6Ks in Erie. 

35 minutes ago, casimir said:

EV as in extremely vexing?

exit velo.

As I happened to have the afternoon sports radio come on in my car today and I was amused to hear several minute's prattle regarding various silly betting options on sporting events, it struck me that there must be millions of people out there watching sports with no interest in the actual net outcome of the human competition and it seemed a fan more interested in how hard Tork hit the ball instead of the rare but absurd game outcome of the AB summed it all up.

Edited by gehringer_2