Things that bring a smile to your face

oblong

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Watching my daughter's marching band.  I'm biased, sure.  But this band is really good and a very popular activity for kids to be involved in (140-150 kids out of about 1,000 total high school).  And after helping chaperone for a couple of football games and being at the game from that perspective and knowing their summer and daily after school practice schedules (Mon-Thurs including a week of two a days in the summer), it just opened my eyes to all of the work that goes into it.

• Like 4

On 9/24/2022 at 8:08 AM, casimir said:

Watching my daughter's marching band.  I'm biased, sure.  But this band is really good and a very popular activity for kids to be involved in (140-150 kids out of about 1,000 total high school).  And after helping chaperone for a couple of football games and being at the game from that perspective and knowing their summer and daily after school practice schedules (Mon-Thurs including a week of two a days in the summer), it just opened my eyes to all of the work that goes into it.

You must have been in Toledo. The school my kids attend apparently took first place in a number of categories. They really work those kids.

8 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

You must have been in Toledo. The school my kids attend apparently took first place in a number of categories. They really work those kids.

Somewheres around that area code there.

They hosted 7 other local marching bands this weekend for a show.  Basically they all did their football halftime shows.  One school pulled out a drum kit, amps, and electric guitars and did "Shakedown" by Bob Seger.  It was really, really cool.

And the camaraderie that they have for each other, its so cool to see.  The football game last weekend, the home team seniors came over during the 1st quarter to see our band seniors (I guess its a thing where seniors can visit a bit during games?), and they said they look forward to this game every year and just happily chatted each other up for about 10 minutes.

22 hours ago, casimir said:

Somewheres around that area code there.

They hosted 7 other local marching bands this weekend for a show.  Basically they all did their football halftime shows.  One school pulled out a drum kit, amps, and electric guitars and did "Shakedown" by Bob Seger.  It was really, really cool.

And the camaraderie that they have for each other, its so cool to see.  The football game last weekend, the home team seniors came over during the 1st quarter to see our band seniors (I guess its a thing where seniors can visit a bit during games?), and they said they look forward to this game every year and just happily chatted each other up for about 10 minutes.

Wait until you get to state. It's really neat seeing so many different bands. Until then I hope you guys avoid some awful weather weekends in between. Last year I saw a kid almost get decapitated during a windy competition, all of their props blew right off the field.

4 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Wait until you get to state. It's really neat seeing so many different bands. Until then I hope you guys avoid some awful weather weekends in between. Last year I saw a kid almost get decapitated during a windy competition, all of their props blew right off the field.

Oh, this marching band doesn’t do competitions.  It’s just a very well run program that a lot of kids enjoy.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My son is a senior in HS and we went on a campus visit this past Monday. While there he posted about it on (I think) Snapchat. Someone who is a freshman there replied and was going to meet up to talk to him, except his class schedule conflicted with what we had scheduled. He made sure to say that my son could reach out with any questions he might have though.

The amazing thing about this to me is that the two of them are not friends. They went to the same grade school and maybe played soccer or baseball together a time or two, but they never hung around together or anything. It's what social media is supposed to be for, and it just blew my mind that teenagers can (and do) use those apps for good. You always just hear about how they are used for bullying, etc, so I was very pleased to see the other side of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

My son is a senior in HS and we went on a campus visit this past Monday. While there he posted about it on (I think) Snapchat. Someone who is a freshman there replied and was going to meet up to talk to him, except his class schedule conflicted with what we had scheduled. He made sure to say that my son could reach out with any questions he might have though.

The amazing thing about this to me is that the two of them are not friends. They went to the same grade school and maybe played soccer or baseball together a time or two, but they never hung around together or anything. It's what social media is supposed to be for, and it just blew my mind that teenagers can (and do) use those apps for good. You always just hear about how they are used for bullying, etc, so I was very pleased to see the other side of it.

That’s good stuff.