Things that bring a smile to your face

oblong

21 hours ago, chasfh said:

Old pictures of big cities always bring a smile to my face. This is looking down Woodward Avenue toward downtown in 1942. Great color.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Woodward_Ave_Detroit_1942.jpg

I'm 'guessing that's taken from the maccabes building on the WSU campus.  that's Woodward and Warren.  They didn't have drones then 🙂

1 hour ago, oblong said:

the maccabes building on the WSU campus

That is St Paul's in the left foreground which puts the pic just about at Warren so I would say that's a good call. There has always been good sized radio/TV mast on that building. Maybe someone had gone up the antenna to do maintenance and grabbed the shot.

LOL - and the stonework on Book tower was already sooted black in '42.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 12/14/2022 at 11:33 AM, smr-nj said:

Found the nun puppet my brother had given my mother, oh.. maybe 30 years ago. It throws a neat left hook. 🙂 She loved it, and would poke my father with it, when she felt he needed it.

I’ve been laughing my butt off all morning. 😂

9602188D-36CA-452B-8813-76A08EA484A0.jpeg

5FCAB310-AE5A-4E69-8E3D-C2C314C591AD.jpeg

551413C5-A790-4B2C-9268-31767BCE9A16.jpeg

You know, it seems like toy manufacturers missed out on the Catholic school nun action figure market.  They could come with boxing gloves as a default I suppose.  But then you also sell rulers and coffee mugs and chalk and chalkboard erasers and books as additional weapons for separate purchase.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/15/2022 at 7:56 PM, Tigeraholic1 said:

Any of you older timers have one of these in your town?

I have never seen one exactly like that, but I don't think it's a problem, either. At least they change the pitch of the slid halfway through so you don't keep accelerating a la Newton until you crash at the bottom.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the car with one of my kids last week with an oldies station on the radio, and a song by the O'Jays came on, and I said what an unfortunate choice that name had been.  He said yes, they had missed an opportunity in the 1990's to reverse that negative image, they could have renamed themselves The Cosbys.

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2023 at 8:06 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

D1E867F2-9B40-415B-AD15-6490C711CDC7.jpeg

This reminds me of a friend of ours who shared a story with us.  Her mom died about 7 years ago.  Her niece, one of the granddaughters of the mom, had grandma's signature tattooed on her arm.  What she didn't know is that the signature was actually my friend signing her mom's name to the Christmas cards every year.  They are an Italian family and b/c of that the penmanship to English wasn't so great so our friend would sign both names.   Of course she isn't going to say anything.  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

This reminds me of a friend of ours who shared a story with us.  Her mom died about 7 years ago.  Her niece, one of the granddaughters of the mom, had grandma's signature tattooed on her arm.  

I have an audio spectrogram of my children saying "I love you Dada" tattooed on my forearm.

From the Apollo 10 transcripts.  this flight was a full dress rehearsal for the first moon landing.  Young and Cernan late commanded lunar missions and Cernan holds the distinction of being the last man to walk on the moon  Young flew the first space shuttle mission along with another.  Combined those with his two Gemini  and two Apollo missions, plus the launch from the lunar surface, he holds the record for most blast offs  (seven). I suspect he’s the culprit for this blast off. 

Tom Stafford: "Oh... who did it?"
John Young: "Who did what?"
Eugene Cernan: "Where did that come from!?"
Tom Stafford: "Give me a napkin quick, there's a turd floating through the air"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...