Things that bring a smile to your face

oblong

48 minutes ago, oblong said:

That whole thread is great. I always enjoyed Christiansburg when I was much younger. Had a few friends who worked at a station in Blacksburg back when such things were training grounds for bigger markets. There was also a pretty good Lebanese restaurant there at the time.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I’m not giving this turd any money but it puts a smile on my face knowing that receiving a video message from this liar and cheat to a lot of people on this board would be a really good troll. 

834D94F2-0788-4EB3-B69B-A9E4AECF7AED.jpeg

Sacre bleu!!  In a Montreal jersey?  Is the message in French Canadian?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My dog Lucy was euthanized a couple days after I came home from the hospital (mid-May), … it’s been a sad few weeks…. But today, in the mail, I received a gift from a friend.. a framed photo of me & Lucy on a “road trip” that was just a week before. She had such a good day… so glad she got that adventure day (complete with a burger)- neither of us knew she’d be gone in a week.  

2B4CD6DF-315F-4AEA-BF72-327430C83971.jpeg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/aww/comments/v7x39u/man_stops_to_rescue_kitten_gets_ambushed_by/

and then

https://imgur.com/a/dk0VMgc

(guess there isn't a way to embed imgur posts here, and the reddit post auto-plays with sound on here, so that's no good, either.)

Hot Diggity Dog!

Those kittens have been around people before so someone "disposed" of them.

Took a walk in the park today and there were a couple graduation parties going on in the pavilions. Seeing that always brings a smile to my face, not only for the kids involved and thinking about how much I enjoyed my party and going to friend's parties but the main reason is to me it just reminds me that summer has arrived!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, casimir said:

It’s high school band marching season in Ohio starting tonight (and they let the football team play at some of their performances, too).  My oldest is a starting clarinetist.  Can’t wait to see them entering the football field tonight.

Welcome to the life of endless festivals. Never liked marching band then, it's different as a spectator. Love concert season. Lots of great new music out there.

13 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Welcome to the life of endless festivals. Never liked marching band then, it's different as a spectator. Love concert season. Lots of great new music out there.

She is a sophomore, so we've run the annual gamut once already.  It's OK, that's her bag, she enjoys it, the program is a very good one, I'm all in.  I never paid attention to bands before, but it obviously changes when you have a rooting interest, so to speak.  They had around 120-130 kids last year, and it looks to be the same this year.  The stands didn't necessarily empty at halftime last night, and that seems pretty typical from our experience.

#bandparent

• Like 1

It's great to see band programs getting recognition as opposed to being an after thought in many school systems. It's a skill that can continue until much later in life.

One of the things I miss about not living in Michigan is the the lack of community bands here. The closest one is about 40 minutes away. Part of the reason is population density I think, but I think the culture in SE Michigan is a bit different. Lots of grads from U of M and Mich State are still playing into their mid to late 70s (or later). It's a bit more transient here.

When we were back in Michigan recently my grandson indicated he was interested in playing in the school's band (he's in fifth grade). He wants to play sax. I told him if he makes the first cut I'll give him one of mine.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

My eldest is a clarinet player too. Was thinking CM or Romad may have seen him in DC with the Marine Band.

My daughter uses my mom's clarinet from her high school marching band days.  Mom would've been at every performance if she could.  In a way, she's there at every practice and performance.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

My eldest is a clarinet player too. Was thinking CM or Romad may have seen him in DC with the Marine Band.

The President's Own?  Great gig, it's been a while since I've been to a band concert in Northern Va. They do quite a bit of touring, I know. They're recordings are fantastic.

We have several bases near us. The Air Force has a combined military band that usually performs in Williamsburg on special occasions. 

My daughter just graduated high school and was in marching band for 6 years(Her school allows middle school kids to participate). They won state the last three years. From band camp to state these kids put in three times the hours of any sport for their season. I never did marching band but I have a ton of respect for the program now after seeing these kids dedication.

• Thanks 1