Things that bring a smile to your face

oblong

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

I went to see "Damn Yankees" at the Marriott Theater in Lincolnshire, which is basically like AA ball for Broadway—it's that good. All the actors are card-holders and a few have screen credits, so the result is high-quality, tight, and generally excellent.

And of course, when they sang the standard "You Gotta Have Heart" early on in the show, I, probably uniquely among the entire audience, couldn't stop thinking about the Detroit Institute of Arts.

This is one of the greatest local commercials in history, perhaps for any TV market, and if you're of a certain age, you will probably have this running through your head for the rest of the day, to which I can say only: you're welcome.

I never knew there was an actual song - To this day that's what I think of every time I hear someone talk about "Ya gotta have heart"

Today, My local Italian deli had their grilled vegetables* & fresh mozzarella (w/ balsamic glaze & EVOO & herbs) on crusty rolls available. It’s often a hit or miss if they’re making them on any particular day. 
(*grilled vegetables- eggplant, zucchini, portobello mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers)

Had half for lunch, I’ll have the other half for dinner when I get home for work tonight.

This made me crazy happy. (Is that embarrassing? Maybe a little) 😂

• Like 3

No.  I have a local deli that's been around for at least 35 years and every Tuesday I get a chicken caeser wrap.  I'm sure it's nothing special but he loads it up.  The oil from the dressing starts to drip through the wrap onto my hand as i hold it.  I look forward to it every week.  Became a pandemic thing.  I start to get sad when I'm almost finished with it.  My wife gets mad that I won't wait until Thursday when she's home but it's gotta be Tuesday.  You go back to work on Monday, things might be a little busier but come Tuesday morning things settle down and I know at 11:20 it's time to order.  I can do it online and it's ready when I get there.

It's literally my favorite thing to eat and has been for 3 years.  Nothing I will eat the rest of the week will top it.

• Thanks 1

Reading this passage from the Sporting News archives put a smile on my face. This is an interview with Bill Clarke, former big-league pitcher being asked about modern-day pitchers:

"How do they call themselves pitchers?" he fumed. "They walk for four or five men in a row, pitch two or three innings, get a run behind and when a base hit is made off them, they look around for help.  Pitchers in our day started and finished.  I think some of them ought to be left in there when the going gets rough.  It's the only way to make them get control and toughen them up."

This conversation took place in the December 7, 1949 issue of the Sporting News.

And if there's one thing we all know about the pitchers of 1949, they were namby-pambies who couldn't last more than three innings.

💀

I didn't know whether to put this in the music thread or here but it made me smile so I'm putting it here.

On the old board, someone shared this video of Mike Masse. My kids and I became instant fans, have watched many of his youtube videos and even bought his cd.

Saturday night, Mike was booked to play a small club in Holland and we were attendance. He did not disappoint. He performed covers of "Time Stand Still" and "Silent Lucidity", amongst many others, as if he had written them.

So why does this bring a smile to my face other than the obvious? He shared how he had been playing gigs at this little pizza joint for 25 years before getting the bright idea to record the performances and then post them on the youtubes. Up until then he had been a public defender and, with the popularity of his channel, was able to perform music full time. "The world could use one less lawyer" quote from Mike got a lot of laughs from the appreciative crowd of around 150 people.

So here we are: revisiting this incredibly talented singer and guitarist doing what he loves as a side gig which became a very lucrative career change. God bless him.

• 2 weeks later...

This made me happy to read.   Kevin Tighe and Randolph Mantooth (DeSoto & Gage) from Emergency! have remained very close friends ever since.  They live right by each other and see each other all the time and give each other a friendly hard time like the characters did.   When you hear about co-stars hating each other  (Bruce Willis & Cybill Shepherd,  Bea Arthur & Betty White,  Shelly Long & The rest of the cast of Cheers),  it's refreshing to see this.      Tighe was Best Man at Mantooth's wedding 20 years ago and went over and hung out with him while he recovered from cancer.  

It's funny.  I think of 7 year old me watchin Emergency! on my little black & white TV in my room (My mom telling me to turn it down because of the omnipresent sirens) and I never would have thought that Hey, 50 years from now I will be watching this in the morning every day.   It's also amazing how much of it I remembered.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Ponch and Jon didn't get along very well either.  Neither did Laverne and Shirley.

Larry Hagman and Patrick Duffy were like brothers in real life.  Patrick was there the day Larry died.

Actually Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams were close friends, even though they sometimes got on each other's nerves on the set.    Happens with co-workers, even ones you like.    

26 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It was unfair to say Bea Arthur and Betty White.    Bea was the problem.   She didn't like how nice Betty was.   

I kinda figured it was that way. Still, Golden Girls is one of the all time great shows and I am hesitant to revisit it and be disappointed. It's pure gold in my memories and I want it to remain that way.

50 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Actually Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams were close friends, even though they sometimes got on each other's nerves on the set.    Happens with co-workers, even ones you like.    

that's good to know.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 3:48 PM, Biff Mayhem said:

The comment section. That's all.

So we visited Mammoth Cave last week and we really enjoyed it. We did the two-hour tour because the others were sold out.  We'll plan ahead and do the four-hour tour next time. Highly recommended.

I would avoid Onyx Cave (same area) because it's just so redneck and our tour guide was a clueless dipwad. YMMV. We tried to tour Diamond but the wait was too long. Next time for sure.

• 2 weeks later...