Things that bring a smile to your face

oblong

We dropped our oldest off at college for freshman year a couple of weeks ago. A stressful and emotional moment for sure. You just want them to be happy, and for them to develop a good social circle in a new environment. Well, he's doing great! He called his sister the other day and even she said afterwards "he sounds so happy!". We are so glad that he's plugged in well to campus and with his roommates/others. We still miss him like crazy, but it has helped tremendously to know that he is having a good experience. (And yes he's going to class too. He's a pretty conscientious student.)

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

We dropped our oldest off at college for freshman year a couple of weeks ago. A stressful and emotional moment for sure. You just want them to be happy, and for them to develop a good social circle in a new environment. Well, he's doing great! He called his sister the other day and even she said afterwards "he sounds so happy!". We are so glad that he's plugged in well to campus and with his roommates/others. We still miss him like crazy, but it has helped tremendously to know that he is having a good experience. (And yes he's going to class too. He's a pretty conscientious student.)

I'm two years away from this and I already have anxiety about it. 

On 8/30/2023 at 9:07 AM, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

On 8/30/2023 at 9:41 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

I'm two years away from this and I already have anxiety about it. 

We just did this with my youngest grandson.  He & his mom & brother came to live with us when he was 2 and I was like dad for about 8 years.  Now he's steer wrestling in Kansas.  & if I think about it too much I cry like a baby.

Marching band season.  My eldest plays clarinet.  The band has around 120 kids this season.  It’s down a bit from last season.  But it’s a very good program and I’m happy she’s in it.  My wife mentioned how she was out the door for school early and in a noticeably great mood last week which was their first football game.  I happened to be home today and she was pretty happy this morning before leaving for school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Marching band season.  My eldest plays clarinet.  The band has around 120 kids this season.  It’s down a bit from last season.  But it’s a very good program and I’m happy she’s in it.  My wife mentioned how she was out the door for school early and in a noticeably great mood last week which was their first football game.  I happened to be home today and she was pretty happy this morning before leaving for school.

120 still seems like a good sized MB. Nice to see. For a while we lived across the street from Wall Lake Central in Commerce, Mi, unfortunately all I got to experience on my back porch was the percussion section.

How large is the concert band? 

13 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

120 still seems like a good sized MB. Nice to see. For a while we lived across the street from Wall Lake Central in Commerce, Mi, unfortunately all I got to experience on my back porch was the percussion section.

How large is the concert band? 

I am pretty sure most of the kids do both.

I remember growing up caddy corner from the local high school and hearing them practice from time to time.  In fact, every once in a while, they would practice their parade stuff by marching down the street.  I don't know they got away with that, and it wasn't very often, but they did it.

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

I am pretty sure most of the kids do both.

I'm sure. Football/Festival season only runs so long. Hated marching in high school back in the dark ages. It's taken me 50 plus years to get over Henry Mancini's Pink Panther and Baby Elephant Walk.

I liked concert season. When we lived in Michigan and I got back into playing the horn I was in two concert bands. This after nearly 40 year hiatus. I found myself looking forward to rehearsals after a frustrating day at work.

And hey, I can say I got to go to Interlochen 

49 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'm sure. Football/Festival season only runs so long. Hated marching in high school back in the dark ages. It's taken me 50 plus years to get over Henry Mancini's Pink Panther and Baby Elephant Walk.

I liked concert season. When we lived in Michigan and I got back into playing the horn I was in two concert bands. This after nearly 40 year hiatus. I found myself looking forward to rehearsals after a frustrating day at work.

And hey, I can say I got to go to Interlochen 

There are marching band shows around here where several bands will take turns going through their halftime shows.  It seems like ours always visits one other particular school’s show and then our school also hosts their own show with a return trip of the formerly mentioned school as well as several others.  It seems like when our school hosts, they get each of the 6 to 8 most NW counties of the state represented.  I don’t know if that’s intentional or not, but it’s worked out that way for the previous 2 years and this year as well.

They were part of Chicago’s Christmas parade a couple of years ago.  We arrived late, but just in time to see them march by.  They were followed by Kool and the Gang and Tag Team.  Of course my daughter had no idea who they were, and sort of remembered Tag Team from the GEICO commercial ice cream spoof.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the youngest coach in d-i sports

65019aeff17da-1694604015.9891.jpg

(UNC Athletics)

As the college field hockey season kicks into gear, I'd like to call your attention to a fascinating story out of Chapel Hill.

Last year, Erin Matson led UNC to a national championship. This year, at just 23 years old, she's the head coach.

How we got here: Matson is one of the best players in the history of the sport. "The Michael Jordan of field hockey," her former coach told The Athletic ($).‌

• At 16, the Pennsylvania native became the youngest player to ever make the US national team.
  • At UNC, she led the Tar Heels to four national titles and was named national player of the year three times.

Now, she's the youngest coach in D-I sports and is leading many of her former teammates, some of whom were her roommates not too long ago.‌

• She's replacing a legend in Karen Shelton, who coached UNC for 42 years and won nine national championships.
  • Shelton intentionally put off retirement until Matson's playing career was over. Then, she gave her the keys.

Coming up: No. 2 UNC hosts No. 4 Louisville on Friday in their ACC opener.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

This morning "Hit The Road Jack" came on Sirius while driving and I was able to share a story with my daughter that still cracks me up to this day.

A couple of buddies and I were riding motorcycles through Canada a few years ago and we made it to Manitoulin Island. We hadn't secured lodging and found this tiny roadside motel. One guy went into the office and paid and we discovered that the room wasn't airconditioned, the sheets were dirty and there were only two beds for three dudes. 

Nope.

So we requested our money back so we could find something else down the road. The motel owner argued with us and offered to drag a cot into the tiny room. Finally he relented and, in the most Canadian way to tell someone to "F Off", he blasted "Hit The Road Jack" on his stereo at a very loud volume. 

I still smile thinking about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m watching the Toledo Walleye game from last night.  They fell behind 4-1 to Fort Wayne in the 1st and I almost turned it off.  But I’m stubborn, I decided to stick with into the 2nd and see what happened.  6 unanswered goals later, my perseverance was paid off, 7-4 Walleye over the Komets.

19 hours ago, casimir said:

I’m watching the Toledo Walleye game from last night.  They fell behind 4-1 to Fort Wayne in the 1st and I almost turned it off.  But I’m stubborn, I decided to stick with into the 2nd and see what happened.  6 unanswered goals later, my perseverance was paid off, 7-4 Walleye over the Komets.

My Komets don't look to hot this year.