Things that bring a smile to your face

oblong

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

IMG_0784.thumb.jpeg.b5029a5444046c791f761299f9d33b9c.jpeg

😉

It just keeps getting better and better.

Not for nothing, but the family vacation took us to Maine & Boston last year.  We got to see Cadillac Mountain in the Bar Harbor area.  Why is this significant?  Because it’s the first piece of American property that sees sunrise every day (weather permitting).

Don’t believe me?  Well, I don’t blame you.  But you can google that factoid for yourself or just wait for it on Jeopardy.

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

We got to see Cadillac Mountain in the Bar Harbor area.  Why is this significant?  Because it’s the first piece of American property that sees sunrise every day (weather permitting).

LOL - the SO just added Cadillac Mtn to the agenda for this summer's road trip. I told her NBD - if we continue on to the Canada maritimes we can see it earlier than that.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - the SO just added Cadillac Mtn to the agenda for this summer's road trip. I told her NBD - if we continue on to the Canada maritimes we can see it earlier than that.

We had a puffin viewing trip booked whilst in Bar Harbor.  Alas, ‘‘twas too foggy, and so it was cancelled.

On 3/2/2024 at 12:42 PM, casimir said:

It just keeps getting better and better.

Not for nothing, but the family vacation took us to Maine & Boston last year.  We got to see Cadillac Mountain in the Bar Harbor area.  Why is this significant?  Because it’s the first piece of American property that sees sunrise every day (weather permitting).

Don’t believe me?  Well, I don’t blame you.  But you can google that factoid for yourself or just wait for it on Jeopardy.

We took a long drive out to PEI in 2019 and we wanted to go by Bar Harbor specifically to be the first people on American soil to see the sun rise, but it would have added something like ten hours to our drive. Maybe some day.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

We took a long drive out to PEI in 2019 and we wanted to go by Bar Harbor specifically to be the first people on American soil to see the sun rise, but it would have added something like ten hours to our drive. Maybe some day.

I believe I saw a small moose along our travels.  The woman to whom I’m related by marriage was driving and of course the kids had their faces attached to their phones.  By the time we turned the family truckster around, the quad legger had vanished.  It appeared larger than a deer, but I don’t think it would have been large enough to be an adult moose.

0 for puffins.  0 for black bears.  Did see some harbor seals, so that was nice.

The trip was originally Boston only,   But the two adults had always wanted to go to Maine.  We were in the neighborhood, so that itinerary was added.  Unfortunately weather wasn’t always kind to us once we got to our landing spots.  But, hey, it was better than being at work, so huzzah.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I believe I saw a small moose along our travels.

So we did a week in Alaska all the way out to Denali last year and everyone is looking for moose. "They're bound to be there", "We always see them over here".....No moose.

We are on the road back to Anchorage on the tour bus and are basically all the way back into the suburbs, and Momma and 2 calves are sauntering across the road....🤷‍♀️

But if you are a fan of Moose, just go to Isle Royale. We've had several close encounters with Moose in the evenings just on the path from the docks to the bathrooms at Windago.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, casimir said:

The trip was originally Boston only,   But the two adults had always wanted to go to Maine.  We were in the neighborhood, so that itinerary was added.  Unfortunately weather wasn’t always kind to us once we got to our landing spots.  But, hey, it was better than being at work, so huzzah.

There was the Summer my wife said,"oh by the way I bought a tent". It was almost as large as my first apartment and would have been nice if the weather cooperated. First night we set up camp in Vermont, I had visions of being washed away in the deluge. Rain kept following us as we headed into Maine. The only decent day was one outside Boston. (BTW instead of kids we brought the dog) We managed two days there. 
We ended cutting our stay in Arcadia National Park by a day because we were tired of taking down a wet tent. 

A couple of years later we rented an RV to tour the UP. After a close encounter with a gas pump we had a decent trip (again with pup). 

We're talking about doing the Maritime providences this fall (I did NS and PEI about 50 years ago with my younger brother in a Pinto). I really need to start exploring VBRO's

• Like 1

I was today years old when I discovered that there are moon trees planted all over the country. Seeds were brought aboard Apollo 14, which orbited the moon, and then those seeds were planted at various places around the country. 

Thanks google maps!

I was today years old when I discovered that there are moon trees planted all over the country. Seeds were brought aboard Apollo 14, which orbited the moon, and then those seeds were planted at various places around the country. 

Thanks google maps!

21 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Thanks google maps!

You can thank Stu Roosa.  He used to fight forest fires as a smokejumper (Yes, they jump into it) and later became a test pilot and was selected by NASA.  He was the Command Module Pilot on Apollo 14.  That position stayed in the command module circling the moon while the other two lucky bastards got to go land and walk on the moon.  That position has the morbid responsibility of having to fly back to Earth alone in case of any tragedies.  Anyway, because of his work with the forestry he took up the seeds as part of his personal kit, it wasn't a NASA program or experiment but something he did on his own.

If not for the Nixon budget cuts to the program he probably would have commanded an Apollo 20 mission and been the last man to walk on the moon for now.

I took this photo of his grave at Arlington in 2009. 

100_4366.JPG

• Like 2

I can't edit my comment for some reason but I wanted to add that it's interesting Stu Roosa died so young, relatively speaking.  He's rare among that era of astronauts to not live a long life, other than those who died from accidents, like Apollo 1 fire, and plane crashes/car accidents.

When Alan Shepard got command of an Apollo mission after being denied flying privileges for ear issues, it was a unique situation because usually a crew is based on being a backup crew on a prior mission.  Shepard asked for the 2 smartest guys in the program.  It was a wise choice as he was busy being a manager for 6 years and despite his legend had only 15 minutes of space flight, so it was 3 rookies going up after the near tragedy of Apollo 13.  Any problems on 14 would have halted the lunar missiions immediately and those Saturn V rockets would have been put to other uses.

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

May be an image of text that says "Your payment was made on 03/07/24 at 06:45 AM Pacific Time. Congratulations! Your auto loan is paid full. You'll receive the title electronically or haven't received your title within 30 days, call S t1 -888- mail, depending on the state's DMV. If you have questions"

Make sure you get a release of lien from the financial institution and keep that with the title.  I made the mistake of not doing that back in 2015, I thought the title was good enough, and earlier this year I had to call the bank and wait for the letter to arrive (The electronic version wasn't good enough for the transaction in question).  It slowed things down and was annoying.