Things that bring a smile to your face

oblong

31 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I play volleyball with a bunch of 20-somethings and they supply the music. Its forgettable (although strangely not annoying) but definitely follows a cookie cutter formulaic creation process.

We don't normally allow music in our teaching lab, but sometimes if we put on a open work period we'll let it go if someone turns on a playlist - 90% of time is either 60-70's or 90's. College freshmen. Go figure.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 12/5/2022 at 4:36 PM, chasfh said:

Old pictures of big cities always bring a smile to my face. This is looking down Woodward Avenue toward downtown in 1942. Great color.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Woodward_Ave_Detroit_1942.jpg

I'd put this view as the roof (or maybe the antenna tower) of the Maccabees building at the corner of Woodward and Warren). Smoggy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 6:27 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

I play volleyball with a bunch of 20-somethings and they supply the music. Its forgettable (although strangely not annoying) but definitely follows a cookie cutter formulaic creation process.

That's just pop music in general, the kind seemingly synthesized in a lab in a bid to appeal to everyone. They were complaining about the very same thing during the swing era.

I went to see "Damn Yankees" at the Marriott Theater in Lincolnshire, which is basically like AA ball for Broadway—it's that good. All the actors are card-holders and a few have screen credits, so the result is high-quality, tight, and generally excellent.

And of course, when they sang the standard "You Gotta Have Heart" early on in the show, I, probably uniquely among the entire audience, couldn't stop thinking about the Detroit Institute of Arts.

This is one of the greatest local commercials in history, perhaps for any TV market, and if you're of a certain age, you will probably have this running through your head for the rest of the day, to which I can say only: you're welcome.