Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

If the Rams trade Stafford pre June 1st, they would lose $54 million in cap space. His dead cap number is $75 million. Post June 1st would be a cap savings of $1.5 million. Stafford's cap hit in 2024 is $49.5 million and $50.5 million in 2025 when he is 37. I'm not sure what team would want that. I think for better or worse the Rams and the Stafford are stuck with each other. McVay probably won't be around to see the end of it. 

It sure seems like the Rams would like nothing better than to tank 2023 and reset for the future with Caleb Williams.  

Cutting or trading Stafford and eating the huge hit this year while signing nobody in free agency would be a huge signal. 

Edited by Hongbit

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Holmes should offer the Rams Goff for Stafford and two 1sts.

The Rams wouldn't do it, but if I'm the Texans I would trade them a random player plus a mid to late pick for Stafford and a 1st. I would cut Stafford right away. The Rams will probably be bad next year so you basically bought a high draft pick. Basically like the Brock Osweiler trade with Cleveland. 

31 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If the Rams trade Stafford pre June 1st, they would lose $54 million in cap space. His dead cap number is $75 million. Post June 1st would be a cap savings of $1.5 million. Stafford's cap hit in 2024 is $49.5 million and $50.5 million in 2025 when he is 37. I'm not sure what team would want that. I think for better or worse the Rams and the Stafford are stuck with each other. McVay probably won't be around to see the end of it. 

McVay is the coaching equivalent of a system QB. Rode the coattails of a gunslinger and a mercenary QB hunter to a Super Bowl, then flamed out. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What a difference two years makes. The Rams had to pay to make Goff go away. They probably can't even pay to make Stafford go away and Goff actually has trade value now. 

They won a Super Bowl.   That was the primary goal.  Maintaining success and trying for more was hoped for but obviously that’s not happening.  It didn’t turn out as good as it could’ve been but it was still a successful deal on their end.  

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

They won a Super Bowl.   That was the primary goal.  Maintaining success and trying for more was hoped for but obviously that’s not happening.  It didn’t turn out as good as it could’ve been but it was still a successful deal on their end.  

The Rams basically have 4 1sts, 2 2nd's, and 2 3rd's plus a couple hundred million in salary into their QB for one Super Bowl and are now looking at a brutal rebuild. I can't help but think they could have spent those resources better. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The extension Stafford signed with the Rams kicks in this year. The extension hasn't even started yet and they want to move on from him. 

I think they were all living in LaLa Land post-Super Bowl win thinking it would last forever, and it wasn’t until the post-mortem this year that they had an “oh shit” moment where they realized the Rams need a few sticks of dynamite and a whole scale rebuild.

Kudos to their leadership for doing it though. A lot of franchises (Cowboys come to mind) live in perpetual purgatory because they keep putting band aids over bullet wounds. If they draft well, the Rams should be back to the playoffs by 2025 or 2026. The way they’re off loading talent they might even be putting their sights on Caleb Williams.

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Rams basically have 4 1sts, 2 2nd's, and 2 3rd's plus a couple hundred million in salary into their QB for one Super Bowl and are now looking at a brutal rebuild. I can't help but think they could have spent those resources better. 

It absolutely could’ve turned out better but they got what they wanted. 

I remember years and years ago on the old board debating if the goal of a professional sports team was to win a single championship at all costs or was it better to build a competitive team that would have many chances over an extended time.   There’s no definitive answer and it probably depends on the specific franchise.    

Edited by Hongbit

One nice part about being the Rams and absolutely sucking is they don’t have to worry about playing in an empty stadium and losing ticket revenue.   Just means more seats for the many opposition fans that regularly fill SoFi every weekend.    

That Lions game next year will sound like Ford Field.  

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think they were all living in LaLa Land post-Super Bowl win thinking it would last forever, and it wasn’t until the post-mortem this year that they had an “oh shit” moment where they realized the Rams need a few sticks of dynamite and a whole scale rebuild.

Kudos to their leadership for doing it though. A lot of franchises (Cowboys come to mind) live in perpetual purgatory because they keep putting band aids over bullet wounds. If they draft well, the Rams should be back to the playoffs by 2025 or 2026. The way they’re off loading talent they might even be putting their sights on Caleb Williams.

I understand giving Stafford the contract. You gave up a lot to get him and he rewarded you with a Super Bowl. I think injuries caught up to him sooner than I thought. 

Cut them both and suck for the next 2 years.  They can blame their open tanking on cap hell caused by poor decisions and unforeseen injuries.  Get either Caleb and Maye next year and throw them right in the fire with no expectations in 2024.  They can keep Kupp and draft well in the later rounds and look to be a team for the future starting in 2025.  

So, nobody wanting to pay $50 million for Lamar Jackson is being called "collusion" by some

How many teams need a QB?  How many of those teams really want to pay that price. 

Now, 6 months ago he might have gotten that.   But his whole second half routine, including not even travelling with the team in a huge road game - I think it might have cost him a lot of money.     

Every single team you could possibly link to Lamar has an absolutely legit reason for not spending that much on a selfish jerk of a player.     The Lions are some odds.   Why upset that apple cart?   Their fine with Goff.    The Lions need a competent backup, not a flashy starter.    The Lions need to spend on defense.   With the current offense plus a healthy Jameson and a top half of the league defense - they are actually Super Bowl contenders.    Lamar would only mess it up on about 5 different levels. 

The Vikings are projected to be $15 million over the cap. Thielen seems to be an obvious cut candidate. They could restructure Cousins but that would kick a lot of money over to 2024 when he would no longer be under contract. Minnesota is going to have to be creative. With Rodgers likely gone this is the Lions division to lose.