Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

26 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I won't be happy until my team finds a box with a QB in it who burns the playbook on day one of training camp. "Systems? I don't need your stinking systems."

I want my team's QB to climb out of his box every Sunday, get down on one knee in every huddle, draw a brand new play in the dirt with his finger, then take the snap and start chucking it around the field. That's when I'll really know if he is more than just a system QB.

Those guys went the way of Johny Unitas and Billy Kilmer

i'm fine if they keep goff and extend him, i'm fine if they dont.  i trust the current regime to do what's best for the franchise.

besides, i dont think richardson is going to make it to #6, but i could be wrong.  i didnt think willis would make it out of round one last year.

• Like 1

For those inclined, a good documentary on the Bears impending move to the Chicago suburbs, Phil also does a look at the Rams newer facility. Phil Rogers was one of my favorite reporters when we lived there and does a good job. 

It does make you wonder what the sports area in downtown Detroit could be if certain people would actually spend some money...

I don't understand why they care so much whether the Bears play in Chicago or the suburbs. The Rams that they cite play in the suburbs. A giant football stadium that is used 8 times a year is a waste for a city. I remember when New York kicked around building a stadium in Manhattan for the Jets. Instead they built Hudson Yards which currently houses over 70,000 people. 

no one who knows the bears would really care if they moved out of soldier field.  soldier field is a dump.  its incredibly hard to access.  its the smallest stadium in the league.  the bears DONT EVEN OWN THE STADIUM.  the state and city refused to work with the bears the macimize their revenue and openly insulted the bears when they made noise about leaving.

the bears should have moved out of soldier field a LONG time ago.  but the people who own the bears are terrible business owners and the people who run the state of illinois and the city of chicago are terrible people and politicians.

the bears moving to the burbs in the best thing the bears have done as a franchise in a long, long time.  its about time and its more than warranted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buddha said:

no one who knows the bears would really care if they moved out of soldier field.  soldier field is a dump.  its incredibly hard to access.  its the smallest stadium in the league.  the bears DONT EVEN OWN THE STADIUM.  the state and city refused to work with the bears the macimize their revenue and openly insulted the bears when they made noise about leaving.

the bears should have moved out of soldier field a LONG time ago.  but the people who own the bears are terrible business owners and the people who run the state of illinois and the city of chicago are terrible people and politicians.

the bears moving to the burbs in the best thing the bears have done as a franchise in a long, long time.  its about time and its more than warranted.

Not to mention that the "toilet bowl sticking out of the Parthenon" has to be the most disgusting mishmash piece of archetecture executed in the US in recent years.

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why should Chicago give handouts to the Bears? The Bears need Chicago more than Chicago needs the Bears. NFL stadiums are better off in the suburbs than in a lakeside park. Do people who even live in Chicago go to Bears games?

the bears dont need chicago.  the city could have easily worked with the bears to find land for a new stadium, instead the city - and rhe bears - did the stupid thing and "re-did" soldier field in a ridiculously awful looking rebuild that addressed none of the issues and just pushed the problems down the road.

again, the bears are the only franchise in the nfl that doesnt even own their own stadium.  they lease it from the state and the state controls all the amenities and the bears have to beg for everything.

in a normal political and business environment the bears and the city/state would work together to find a solution.  but this is chicago and illinois and a stupid business so nothing got done and now the bears are moving.

its a great piece of land for the bears to develop in arlington heights into a nice and profitable area.  the bears have not (yet) asked for state assistance and they have said they are not going to.  but they will ask for state infrastructure improvements which the state should give them to help develop the area.

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not to mention that the "toilet bowl sticking out of the Parthenon" has to be the most disgusting mishmash piece of archetecture executed in the US in recent years.

its a god awful design.

they lost their landmark status after they did that.  deservedly so.  not that they deserved landmark status before then...

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

the bears dont need chicago.  the city could have easily worked with the bears to find land for a new stadium, instead the city - and rhe bears - did the stupid thing and "re-did" soldier field in a ridiculously awful looking rebuild that addressed none of the issues and just pushed the problems down the road.

again, the bears are the only franchise in the nfl that doesnt even own their own stadium.  they lease it from the state and the state controls all the amenities and the bears have to beg for everything.

in a normal political and business environment the bears and the city/state would work together to find a solution.  but this is chicago and illinois and a stupid business so nothing got done and now the bears are moving.

its a great piece of land for the bears to develop in arlington heights into a nice and profitable area.  the bears have not (yet) asked for state assistance and they have said they are not going to.  but they will ask for state infrastructure improvements which the state should give them to help develop the area.

Good for Chicago. I would tell the Bears to get lost. There's better use for land in Chicago than a 70,000 seat stadium and the necessary parking. They built Ford Field downtown and it's vacant 99% of the time. The Bears should have left for the suburbs the same time the Lions left for Pontiac. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Good for Chicago. I would tell the Bears to get lost. There's better use for land in Chicago than a 70,000 seat stadium and the necessary parking. They built Ford Field downtown and it's vacant 99% of the time. The Bears should have left for the suburbs the same time the Lions left for Pontiac. 

the city of chicago deserves zero credit for this.  this was not done as a matter of principal that the city refused the bears' efforts to extort land and tax breaks.  the city refused to work with them because the city is incompetent and run by morons and special interests.  the bears never asked for that, the city knew the bears needed a new facility and refused to work with them to find a suitable area.

i get the view from outside that the city shouldnt pay the bears to be here.  i agree.  but that is not what happened here.  this is a case of incompetent leadership and nothing else.

There's really nothing to work out. Are you saying the Bears never asked Chicago for money for the stadium? Are their locations in Chicago for a large stadium and parking in an accessible neighborhood? I'm not sure why Chicago is coming back with half baked plans to keep the Bears like a dome over Soldier Field. I would just be telling the Bears bye. 

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

the city of chicago deserves zero credit for this.  this was not done as a matter of principal that the city refused the bears' efforts to extort land and tax breaks.  the city refused to work with them because the city is incompetent and run by morons and special interests.  the bears never asked for that, the city knew the bears needed a new facility and refused to work with them to find a suitable area.

i get the view from outside that the city shouldnt pay the bears to be here.  i agree.  but that is not what happened here.  this is a case of incompetent leadership and nothing else.

My wife wondered how many votes this whole kerfuffle cost Lightfoot in the recent election. I follow politics a bit more closely than her and thought she was toast without the stadium issue.

Soldier field should go the way of Meigs Field, just expand Grant Park.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Didn't Chicago lose out on the Lucas Museum because they fought to keep a parking lot at Soldier Field? 

yup.  the "friends of the lakefront" sued and sued sued.  so it remains an empty parking lot instead of a museum.

the mayor at the time called them the "friends of the parking lot."

its ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

There's really nothing to work out. Are you saying the Bears never asked Chicago for money for the stadium? Are their locations in Chicago for a large stadium and parking in an accessible neighborhood? I'm not sure why Chicago is coming back with half baked plans to keep the Bears like a dome over Soldier Field. I would just be telling the Bears bye. 

The Bears approached the City about needed repairs to the stadium. Broken seats, the field itself is terrible condition, other issues. They were basically ignored.

Parking is not really an issue. The parking garage under Grant Park serves the area well. Most fans either take the train or the EL downtown anyway.

I was in Chicago in the 90s. There was always a rumor about the Bears moving. The hot spot at the time was Gary, IN.

The racetrack property is a great spot with adequate parking and a Metra Station close by. 
Meanwhile the Arlington Million will be held about 20 miles from my house.

5 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

My wife wondered how many votes this whole kerfuffle cost Lightfoot in the recent election. I follow politics a bit more closely than her and thought she was toast without the stadium issue.

Soldier field should go the way of Meigs Field, just expand Grant Park.

honestly, i doubt it effected lori that much.  lori had so many other issues.

1) crime.  its a huge issue.

2) there was one white candidate, one hispanic candidate, and seven black candidates.  lori won the black vote, but barely and she split it with six other candidates.  chuy won the hispanic vote and lori got almost none of it.  

3) more importantly, she lost the lakefront vote.  the white people on the northside who "identify as progressive" and the gay vote shifted from her to brandon johnson (the black liberal sponsored by the teachers union).  johnson won the areas of the city that went heavily to lori the last time.

4) she's a terrible politician.  she couldnt pick a lane.  are you an establishment, anti-crime, law and order mayor?  or are you left wing, liberal progressive?  she chose both.  and she won neither.

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

yup.  the "friends of the lakefront" sued and sued sued.  so it remains an empty parking lot instead of a museum.

the mayor at the time called them the "friends of the parking lot."

its ridiculous.

I completely forgot about the lot between the stadium and McCormick Place. It's been two long

Wasn't there a plan in the 90's to build a dome at McCormick Place called the McDome? That may be the one ok place to build a stadium in a city because you can share parking with McCormick Place and use the dome as part of the convention center. 

I have to imagine there are limited tailgating options at Soldier Field. It's also the smallest stadium in the NFL so if parking is adequate, would it be adequate for 10,000 more people? 

1 minute ago, buddha said:

honestly, i doubt it effected lori that much.  lori had so many other issues.

1) crime.  its a huge issue.

2) there was one white candidate, one hispanic candidate, and seven black candidates.  lori won the black vote, but barely and she split it with six other candidates.  chuy won the hispanic vote and lori got almost none of it.  

3) more importantly, she lost the lakefront vote.  the white people on the northside who "identify as progressive" and the gay vote shifted from her to brandon johnson (the black liberal sponsored by the teachers union).  johnson won the areas of the city that went heavily to lori the last time.

4) she's a terrible politician.  she couldnt pick a lane.  are you an establishment, anti-crime, law and order mayor?  or are you left wing, liberal progressive?  she chose both.  and she won neither.

That's pretty much what I thought. The Bears were a non issue. Most of the folks who go to the games are from the burbs anyway.