Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

25 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Okay, I know I'm being a bit nitpicky here... but Ford Field, as I mentioned, is owned by the Detroit/Wayne County Stadium Authority.  They also own Comerica Park.  The "authority" is a governmental body.  So, technically the Lions lease Ford Field from the City/County.

That said, there obviously different levels of leasing.  The Lions, in all but name, own Ford Field in that they are the operators. They decided how it's used. How it's decorated, etc. etc. etc. It sounds like the Bears are no different than any other group/entity that wants to use soldier field.

I guess it would sorta like leasing a Condo as your place of living long term vs. renting out a condo for a couple of nights vacation.

I'm not really disagreeing with you.  All the technicalities aside, the Lions have (mostly) the final say in Ford Field.  The Bears apparently have very little say in Soldier Field.

i think youre nit picking.

the illinois park district owns soldier field.  they take care of it, maintain it, and decide who gets to use it.  the bears are paying them an obscene amount of money to break the lease and move.

the state of illinois controls soldier field, the bears are merely a tenant.  the most important tenant, but a tenant nonetheless.

image.png.36aa5f3fcccaff733314d178e5fe82f3.png

Clearly I don't disagree with you there! 🙂

I suppose I'm trying to head off people who might go... "Wait, the Lions don't own their stadium. What the heck is buddha going on about?"

It's not that both the Lions and the Bears are both leasing, so they're in the same boat.  It's that the Lions are leasing a condo as their home. The Bears are leasing a condo for a few day vacation.

Just now, RedRamage said:

image.png.36aa5f3fcccaff733314d178e5fe82f3.png

Clearly I don't disagree with you there! 🙂

I suppose I'm trying to head off people who might go... "Wait, the Lions don't own their stadium. What the heck is buddha going on about?"

It's not that both the Lions and the Bears are both leasing, so they're in the same boat.  It's that the Lions are leasing a condo as their home. The Bears are leasing a condo for a few day vacation.

the lions set up an llc with government help that avoids tax consequences for them owning a condo.  but they really own the condo.

the bears rent a condo and pay rent to a landlord who hates them and wont let them get high speed internet or fix the door on the parking garage.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

the lions set up an llc with government help that avoids tax consequences for them owning a condo.  but they really own the condo.

the bears rent a condo and pay rent to a landlord who hates them and wont let them get high speed internet or fix the door on the parking garage.

But do you really need high speed internet?  It's dialup good enough?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, buddha said:

And yet the Bears signed a 30 year lease after the condo was renovated for hundreds of millions.