Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

the election is fascinating.  its a white moderate (which, by chicago standards means he's a fascist republican but by the rest of the country's standards he's a left wing liberal) versus a militantly progressive black liberal backed by the unions.

vallas has the white cop vote and conservative vote locked down.  johnson has the white liberal vote locked down.  the battle will be over how much of the black vote vallas can siphon from johnson and where the small hispanic vote breaks.

personally, i think johnson will win.  which is horrible for the city, but its what the rich white liberals want so its probably what will happen.  white liberals love guys like brandon johnson.

i hope not, but we'll see.  vallas is a really good candidate and the smarter choice, but this is chicago and smart choices are not something we do well.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Wasn't there a plan in the 90's to build a dome at McCormick Place called the McDome? That may be the one ok place to build a stadium in a city because you can share parking with McCormick Place and use the dome as part of the convention center. 

I have to imagine there are limited tailgating options at Soldier Field. It's also the smallest stadium in the NFL so if parking is adequate, would it be adequate for 10,000 more people? 

They completely rebuilt McCormick Place in the 90s if I recall correctly. Enlarged the area for conventions and events similar to the auto show. I don't remember anything about a dome.

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Wasn't there a plan in the 90's to build a dome at McCormick Place called the McDome? That may be the one ok place to build a stadium in a city because you can share parking with McCormick Place and use the dome as part of the convention center. 

I have to imagine there are limited tailgating options at Soldier Field. It's also the smallest stadium in the NFL so if parking is adequate, would it be adequate for 10,000 more people? 

there's tailgating because there are a lot of parking lots around there because of the proximity to mccormick place (the big convention center).

its a horrible location.  its extremely difficult to get to.  there are plenty of large areas they could have picked in the city.  they just approved a MASSIVE development in an old industrial yard on the northside.  that could have gone to the bears.  there are plenty of old railroad and warehouse lots on the near south side close to where sox park is now.  10-15 years ago they could have developed that land.  

but they didnt.  through the city's incompetence and the bears incompetence.

seriously, arlington heights is the best alternative right now because the other alternatives are all gone now.

5 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

They completely rebuilt McCormick Place in the 90s if I recall correctly. Enlarged the area for conventions and events similar to the auto show. I don't remember anything about a dome.

mccormick place is another issue altogether.  they've tried for years to break the power of the unions there that drive up the convention prices to astonomical levels but they canr do it.  even the democratic governors tried to no avail.

there are always a huge number of lawsuits that come out of there when union guys get "hurt" on the job.  then you see the lawsuits.  its nuts.  one guy to take the extension cord to the booth.  another guy to plug the cord in.  another guy to unplug it.  all getting union wages.

its amazingly inefficient.

welcome to chicago (and big city america).

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

there's tailgating because there are a lot of parking lots around there because of the proximity to mccormick place (the big convention center).

its a horrible location.  its extremely difficult to get to.  there are plenty of large areas they could have picked in the city.  they just approved a MASSIVE development in an old industrial yard on the northside.  that could have gone to the bears.  there are plenty of old railroad and warehouse lots on the near south side close to where sox park is now.  10-15 years ago they could have developed that land.  

but they didnt.  through the city's incompetence and the bears incompetence.

seriously, arlington heights is the best alternative right now because the other alternatives are all gone now.

If the project you are talking about on the North Side is Lincoln Yards, that would be much better for Chicago than a stadium. New York turned away the Jets in Manhattan to build Hudson Yards. That a much better use of an old railyard than a stadium. 

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If the project you are talking about on the North Side is Lincoln Yards, that would be much better for Chicago than a stadium. New York turned away the Jets in Manhattan to build Hudson Yards. That a much better use of an old railyard than a stadium. 

lincoln yards caused a lot of consternation around here because of the racial politics and the tax breaks for the developers.  a bears stadium with a huge entertainment complex would have been an interesting alternative.  regardless, there are lots of plots of land they could have used, especially 15-20 years ago.  instead they put a toiket bowl on top of the existing stadium.  the epitome of stupidity, ie: the chicago way.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

lincoln yards caused a lot of consternation around here because of the racial politics and the tax breaks for the developers.  a bears stadium with a huge entertainment complex would have been an interesting alternative.  regardless, there are lots of plots of land they could have used, especially 15-20 years ago.  instead they put a toiket bowl on top of the existing stadium.  the epitome of stupidity, ie: the chicago way.

Yeah the Soldier Field renovation was ridiculous. I would rather have a development that adds housing and retail than a 70,000 seat stadium and the necessary parking. Suburbs just make more sense for an NFL stadium.   

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Not so sure of that. 

Last thing we needed was more spoiled millennial in tiny apartments driving up the price of everything

If they dont extend him that means they have him under control for 3 seasons right? The 2 left on his contract then a franchise year if we choose?

If that is the case that gives us a couple more drafts/offseasons after this one to find a replacement before he is potentially going to cost huge money so that is just another reason why I don't want a qb this draft.

Just wait a little down the road so you're not wasting his cheap years. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If they dont extend him that means they have him under control for 3 seasons right? The 2 left on his contract then a franchise year if we choose?

If that is the case that gives us a couple more drafts/offseasons after this one to find a replacement before he is potentially going to cost huge money so that is just another reason why I don't want a qb this draft.

Just wait a little down the road so you're not wasting his cheap years. 

Goff's contract currently is not guaranteed and the Lions can cut him at any time. I don't think players want to play on the franchise tag. A Carr like extension gives Goff guarantees in the short term and the ability for the Lions to move on on the backside of the contract. I think it's a win for both sides. It doesn't really take the Lions out of switching QBs and gives Goff some guarantees. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Goff's contract currently is not guaranteed and the Lions can cut him at any time. I don't think players want to play on the franchise tag. A Carr like extension gives Goff guarantees in the short term and the ability for the Lions to move on on the backside of the contract. I think it's a win for both sides. It doesn't really take the Lions out of switching QBs and gives Goff some guarantees. 

So what you're saying is that if we signed him to the new contract(let's say the Carr 4/150) it would start this year not when his current deal is up? If so Id definitely be ok with that especially if we could get out a year or 2 early. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

So what you're saying is that if we signed him to the new contract(let's say the Carr 4/150) it would start this year not when his current deal is up? If so Id definitely be ok with that especially if we could get out a year or 2 early. 

Correct. Sign him to a contract that basically makes his next two years guaranteed and allow the Lions to get out of it after two or three years. It gives Goff some reassurances but doesn't neccesarily take drafting a QB in the next year or two off the table. if Goff continues to play well, you have him under control for four years. 

20 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Per NBC Sports . . .

333516013_223886726789720_68147678855778

I kinda don't want the Packers to trade him.  I mean, on one hand I'd love to see him out of the division... even an old Aaron Rodgers can still be dangerous.  But what I don't want to see if the Pack getting a lot of value from trading him. 

14 hours ago, buddha said:

again, the bears are the only franchise in the nfl that doesnt even own their own stadium.  they lease it from the state and the state controls all the amenities and the bears have to beg for everything.

Little bit of a side point here... the Lions don't own Ford Field... at least not technically.  It's owned by the Detroit/Wayne County Stadium Authority.  Now this is probably for various legal or tax or whatever reasons.  The Lions are listed at the operators of the stadium so I'd assume it's something like: "You own it, technically, but we're leasing it for x-number of years and have full control over it."

Just wanted to point out that technically the Lions don't own their stadium either... and being technically correct is the best kind of correct.

18 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Little bit of a side point here... the Lions don't own Ford Field... at least not technically.  It's owned by the Detroit/Wayne County Stadium Authority.  Now this is probably for various legal or tax or whatever reasons.  The Lions are listed at the operators of the stadium so I'd assume it's something like: "You own it, technically, but we're leasing it for x-number of years and have full control over it."

Just wanted to point out that technically the Lions don't own their stadium either... and being technically correct is the best kind of correct.

cause of the tax incentives/breaks

I believe LCA is owned by the Detroit Downtown Development Authority and so some revenue, through tax collection, from the arena goes back into the segregated DDA District fund and can only be spent in the designated DDA area. The Slumlord Ilitches do get revenue from outside events at LCA because the event is usually filtered through their 313 Presents company (formally Olympia Entertainment). I don't think the Ford Family has an entertainment and events company that they own and operate events to, similar to what the Ilitches have with 313 Presents.

59 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

the bears leased their stadium from the state of illinois.  every other nfl team owns the stadium for all intents and purposes.  if there are third party entities that are created to act as "owners" thats for tax purposes.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

the bears leased their stadium from the state of illinois.  every other nfl team owns the stadium for all intents and purposes.  if there are third party entities that are created to act as "owners" thats for tax purposes.

Okay, I know I'm being a bit nitpicky here... but Ford Field, as I mentioned, is owned by the Detroit/Wayne County Stadium Authority.  They also own Comerica Park.  The "authority" is a governmental body.  So, technically the Lions lease Ford Field from the City/County.

That said, there obviously different levels of leasing.  The Lions, in all but name, own Ford Field in that they are the operators. They decided how it's used. How it's decorated, etc. etc. etc. It sounds like the Bears are no different than any other group/entity that wants to use soldier field.

I guess it would sorta like leasing a Condo as your place of living long term vs. renting out a condo for a couple of nights vacation.

I'm not really disagreeing with you.  All the technicalities aside, the Lions have (mostly) the final say in Ford Field.  The Bears apparently have very little say in Soldier Field.