Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Everybody thinks they are going to draft the next Mahomes. 

i trust brad holmes' decision on that matter.  if he takes richardson (or another qb), we'll know what he thinks about it.

but i dont think his reasoning is - or should be - "we have jared goff so we cant take a great qb prospect."  he is thinking about the long term future of the franchise as well as the near term success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, buddha said:

i trust brad holmes' decision on that matter.  if he takes richardson (or another qb), we'll know what he thinks about it.

but i dont think his reasoning is - or should be - "we have jared goff so we cant take a great qb prospect."  he is thinking about the long term future of the franchise as well as the near term success.

Brad Holmes was in the room that drafted Goff and the guy that drafted Mahomes drafted Baker Mayfield. Ligthning doesn't strike twice and the grass isn't always greener. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Brad Holmes was in the room that drafted Goff and the guy that drafted Mahomes drafted Baker Mayfield. Ligthning doesn't strike twice and the grass isn't always greener. 

and then he wont take richardson.  thats fine.

but the fact that you have goff shouldnt preclude you from looking at qb at #6 (or #18).  theyve been down there to see him play multiple times.  theyve talked to him at the combine already.  they are interested in him.  at #6?  maybe not.  but all the reports are that they are interested, goff or no goff.

6 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Once upon a time the Lions could have drafted Aaron Rogers and not have relied on Joey Harrington, John Kitna, Dan Orlovsky, Matthew Stafford, etc

Well this doesn't make any sense since Rodgers was drafted while Stafford was still in high school and Jon Kitna was on the Bengals at the time. When Goff was drafted, that a year before Stafford signed his extension. Think of the cap savings!

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Well this doesn't make any sense since Rodgers was drafted while Stafford was still in high school and Jon Kitna was on the Bengals at the time. When Goff was drafted, that a year before Stafford signed his extension. Think of the cap savings!

Take a look at the history of Lions QB's....Kitna was on the Lions QB the year after Rogers was drafted. If you drafted Rogers to replace Harrington and if lightning struck you wouldn't have needed the other Lions QB's I've noted.

You have your fantasy world I have mine.

edit

According to your reasoning there was no reason for the Packers to draft Rogers because they already had Favre 

Edited by CMRivdogs

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Holmes passed on a QB who was better than Richardson to draft a tackle. 

the issue with drafting a qb then was that the lions did not have the "infrastructure" surrounding the qb to make it a success while still on the "entry level" qb deal that makes it attractive to have that qb there.  now they arguably do.

at least, that was the theory going around at the time.

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

Take a look at the history of Lions QB's....Kitna was on the Lions QB the year after he was drafted. If you drafted Rogers to replace Harrington and if lightning struck you wouldn't have needed the other Lions QB's I've noted.

You have your fantasy world I have mine.

I mean, I originally said the Lions could have drafted Goff and not signed Stafford to an extension. It's a similar comparison but yeah they likely wouldn't have signed Kitna if they drafted Rodgers. Guess it's better to play in the fantasy world where the Lions draft Mahomes. 

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

the issue with drafting a qb then was that the lions did not have the "infrastructure" surrounding the qb to make it a success while still on the "entry level" qb deal that makes it attractive to have that qb there.  now they arguably do.

at least, that was the theory going around at the time.

That was my main reasoning for not wanting to draft Fields, that and I did want to see if Goff could be resurrected. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

And Goff has been resurrected but that's not good enough for some people. 

I don't think anybody has ever said he's not good enough after last season. My reasoning is I'd rather have someone who is a capable replacement if heaven forbid someone hits him the wrong way (see Drew Bledsoe, Joe Theisman, last year's 49ers) and upsets a promising season or to or three.

Right now the Lions have no backup...and if you can sign promising guy on a rookie contract and sit him for a year or two good.

You then have options come year three or four. I was always taught redundancy is a good thing.

• Like 1

Just now, CMRivdogs said:

I don't think anybody has ever said he's not good enough after last season. My reasoning is I'd rather have someone who is a capable replacement if heaven forbid someone hits him the wrong way (see Drew Bledsoe, Joe Theisman, last year's 49ers) and upsets a promising season or to or three.

Right now the Lions have no backup...and if you can sign promising guy on a rookie contract and sit him for a year or two good.

You then have options come year three or four. I was always taught redundancy is a good thing.

Drafting a backup QB in the first round may be even dumber than drafting a QB for cap space. If you are drafting a QB in the first round, you are drafting him to replace Goff. Sooner rather than later. 

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

even if they took a qb in round 1 they'll probably sign another veteran qb backup.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Everybody thinks they are going to draft the next Mahomes. 

Then we better hope we have the FO that can identify the next Mahomes rather than the next Ware.

If Holmes drafts Anthony Richardson, I am certainly hoping for that first QB rather than the latter...

But that's just me (or maybe not just me...).

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Then we better hope we have the FO that can identify the next Mahomes rather than the next Ware.

If Holmes drafts Anthony Richardson, I am certainly hoping for that first QB rather than the latter...

But that's just me (or maybe not just me...).

Or hopefully we have a front office who can identify the next Drew Brees. Keep in mind that Holmes was part of the front office that identified Goff as the best QB in the draft and traded multiple picks for. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Drafting a backup QB in the first round may be even dumber than drafting a QB for cap space. If you are drafting a QB in the first round, you are drafting him to replace Goff. Sooner rather than later. 

This argument is going nowhere. Neither one of us is making the final decision. It's starting to feel like explaining to my 10 year old grandson why I don't want to stop at 5Below

38 minutes ago, buddha said:

His QB history has brought Goff, Sudfeld, and Boyle. He admitted relying on Blough and Boyle to backup was a poor decision last year. 

I am still am not buying into the Goff hype train. He has played half a season of decent football over the course of three seasons. The rest was below average.