Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

The Bears are a total dumpster fire with needs everywhere. To be a competitive team, they will seriously need to upgrade, address, or expect vast improvement at every offensive and defensive position sans quarterback, if you are someone who believes that Fields could lead a competitive team that actually has talent.

It's probably not going to happen in one offseason unless they pull a Jaguars and say to hell with the future let's vastly overpay for Christian Kirk (and even then I don't think it would be successful). With that said, it would make sense to trade Fields away if you see a franchise QB there at #1, you have the backing of the ownership to request a mulligan on the start to your tenure, and you get a boat load back for Fields.

I don't think the market will be what they hope on Fields. At least not compared to what it will be for the #1 pick. Teams want their franchise guy. The guy they selected, and can mold, and make into their own. Fields is going to be due a large contract after one more season and he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire through two seasons.

The one thing the Bears do have in regards to possibly extracting more value from Fields is that the team around him is a complete dumpster fire.

There may be a team(s) out there that blames that for his struggles passing instead of putting the onus on him. 

If he had a decent squad around him and still sucked you wouldn't have any excuses. 

9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It is the only sane thing to do. Doesn’t mean they will do it. 

Wonder if the Ravens could arbitrage Lamar Jackson. Trade him for two firsts and some change, then acquire Fields for one first and a few lower picks. Get their cheaper and healthier replacement for Lamar, replenish their draft assets, and maintain their distinct offensive style. 

Edited by Jason_R

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Idk what all went into these workouts but on the surface this just sounds strange and if you're the 49ers pretty concerning. As great as that franchise has been run that Lance pick and trade could end up being an all time bad trade/pick. 

They might have just won the Super Bowl if they hadn’t traded for Lance. Maybe the year before too. That trade is already a disaster and is getting worse. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Idk what all went into these workouts but on the surface this just sounds strange and if you're the 49ers pretty concerning. As great as that franchise has been run that Lance pick and trade could end up being an all time bad trade/pick. 

i have a feeling that shanahan is going to make trey lance look awesome next season.  

if lance can stay healthy.

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Maybe it happens often but I just can't recall ever hearing of a qb getting "arm fatigued" or "dead arm", especially if you factor in how young he is. 

i take those things with a grain of salt.

shanahan's offense with a running qb will be hard to stop.  its already hard to stop.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

worse, they were one of the worst defenses in the nfl and were bailed out by tom brady.

Just makes you wonder why he keeps getting looks. He’s Belichick’s buddy, which explains the Patriots gigs and the Lions gig…. But anything beyond a non-descript “analyst” with no real responsibilities elsewhere is mind-boggling.

23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The 2017 Patriots ranked 5th in points against. They never finished worse than 10th under Patricia. 

dvoa rankings under patricia:

2012: 17

2013: 20

2014: 12 (lions were #1)

2015: 11

2016: 16

2017: 31 (the second worst in the nfl)

****** post patricia:

2018: 19

2019: 1

you brought this up to defend the lions when they hired him too.  the pats' defenses under patricia were either nothing special or terrible.  when he left, they got better.  

and then he went back to coach the offense this year and immediately made it terrible.

he's not a good football coach.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

dvoa rankings under patricia:

2012: 17

2013: 20

2014: 12 (lions were #1)

2015: 11

2016: 16

2017: 31 (the second worst in the nfl)

****** post patricia:

2018: 19

2019: 1

you brought this up to defend the lions when they hired him too.  the pats' defenses under patricia were either nothing special or terrible.  when he left, they got better.  

and then he went back to coach the offense this year and immediately made it terrible.

he's not a good football coach.

I recall you defending the hire as well but I digress. There was no reason to think at the time it would be a terrible hire. He wasn't just being pursued by the Lions and he was even offered the Cleveland job and declined. There really wasn't any indication he was going to be a douche. 

Funny thing is, despite DVOA, the Patriots average the same points per game against in 2017 and 2018 so it really didn't matter. 

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I recall you defending the hire as well but I digress. There was no reason to think at the time it would be a terrible hire. He wasn't just being pursued by the Lions and he was even offered the Cleveland job and declined. There really wasn't any indication he was going to be a douche. 

Funny thing is, despite DVOA, the Patriots average the same points per game against in 2017 and 2018 so it really didn't matter. 

luck, that would explain the points scored.  which would also explain patricia's strange rise to prominance.  the luck of hitching his wagon to bill belicheck.  cause its not what you know, its who you know.

and, iirc, i said if they were going to hire patricia they should have done it the year before when quinn was initially hired rather than letting caldwell drift in the wind and supposedly "drafting to suit caldwell's scheme", which was quinn's excuse when he took jarad davis and teez tabor.

bob quinn, btw, now a "senior executive consultant" with the browns.  man, it must be nice to be in the club.