Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

did you really need convincing to coach denver over houston?  that's a pretty good gig for your first head coaching job.

It should have said him as in Ryans. I'm surprised Ryans would take the Houston job given the dysfunction in that organization. I think they are set up well from a roster standpoint. Have some ok pieces but a lot of picks. It's a job where you need a long commitment like what Campbell got but is Houston going to commit to it?

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It should have said him as in Ryans. I'm surprised Ryans would take the Houston job given the dysfunction in that organization. I think they are set up well from a roster standpoint. Have some ok pieces but a lot of picks. It's a job where you need a long commitment like what Campbell got but is Houston going to commit to it?

houston is a shit show.  as long as that gm and owner are there, its going to be a rough ride.

Without knowing much about their pending FA’s, I don’t think the Broncos are that far away.  

They had top 10 defense in all categories and that’s with a -1 turnover margin.   Javonte Williams got hurt early and never got a chance to take off.   KJ Hamler only played half the season and TE Greg Dulcich came on late before getting hurt.  If they can solidify the OL, even a declining Russ can get these guys in the playoff’s.  If they can get Russ figured out, who knows how far Payton can take them.   

The Broncos are under new ownership so we really don't know know how ownership is going to be. I think they have the best roster of any of the open jobs but Wilson is one strange cat. I don't know if his decline is physical or mental. They are also committed to him for the near future and now will go three straight years with a 1st round pick. 

The Broncos have a solid roster but unless you feel you can coach Wilson back up they will always have a limited ceiling particularly playing in the brutal AFC West. Plus on top of that they gave up so much capital to get Wilson you are immediately put behind the 8 ball there in terms of trying to upgrade your roster.  

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

The Broncos have a solid roster but unless you feel you can coach Wilson back up they will always have a limited ceiling particularly playing in the brutal AFC West. Plus on top of that they gave up so much capital to get Wilson you are immediately put behind the 8 ball there in terms of trying to upgrade your roster.  

im not a big wilson fan, and i kind of hope he fails miserably.  but he did improve once hackett left town.  maybe he wasnt the only thing wrong in denver?  dunno.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Houston has a lot for a new coach to embrace...........starting from the bottom, lots of draft picks, lots of money, but wow, they are run so poorly.   I hope Ryans is not another one-and-done. 

They are firing everyone after one year, so the hope isn't great for Ryans. The Texans are the new Browns of the 2000s and 2010s respectively. They'll be burning out coaches one right after the other so it seems.

18 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

His contract with Fox is $375 Mil for 10 years once he officially retires. What would he receive on a 1 year deal with an NFL team? I would imagine feelers have already been sent out to possible suiters and have come back negative.

I agree that there is probably a Jim Harbaugh element of needing to be wanted.

Last year the Bucs were pleading with him to return, and 10 franchises would have been waiting at the door if he didn’t want to return to Tampa. This year, Tampa is lukewarm on a return, and while I’m sure a franchise would eventually take him, it’s much more of a “let’s explore all of our options first”.

I could still see him returning later in the off-season when a team is striking out on the market; or even returning if a playoff team suffers an injury at QB midway through next season.

5 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

His contract with Fox is $375 Mil for 10 years once he officially retires. What would he receive on a 1 year deal with an NFL team? I would imagine feelers have already been sent out to possible suiters and have come back negative.

I think the Jets would absolutely break the bank to get him to unretire again. They have a good young core and a dreadful QB situation. They are a QB away from taking that next step.

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wait,The Cards were 1-7 at home?  YIKES

Yeah I couldn't quite believe it myself, but sure enough... one win at home, week 7.  They had one stretch with 3 home games in a row (with a bye mixed in) and lost all three times.  That could really demoralize a fan base!

19 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think the Jets would absolutely break the bank to get him to unretire again. They have a good young core and a dreadful QB situation. They are a QB away from taking that next step.

Their options look like they would be:

Garoppolo 

Brady

Carr

Rodgers

Draft pick

... how would those rank?