Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

Caldwell coached for two season under Quinn. Quinn was hired in 2016. The Lions were one year removed from going 11-5 and nearly winning that playoff game against Dallas. They then went 7-9 when Mayhew was fired. Had the Seattle game where they batted the ball out of the end zone and the phantom facemask hail mary gone their way, they would have actually made the playoffs that year. Anyways, I was in favor of sticking with Caldwell but was fine with hiring Patricia. There was no indication Patricia would have been this hated by the players. I don't think he was the same coach when he became head coach of the Lions vs defensive coordinator. 

Vrabel, who was hired the same year, had one year as defensive coordinator and his defense was the worst in the league. Being a good head coach isn't just about offensive or defensive rankings. 

Lombardi gets jobs because he is connected to Sean Payton. 

I recall him being horrible with Detroit, but looking back it’s probably fairer to say he was not very good. And he was saddled with Ron Prince who seems to have been a terrible coach. Caldwell’s loyalty to him may have cost Caldwell his job. 

With the Chargers, Lombardi had a season where he was fifth in points and fourth in yards, and then got fired after a season when he was 13th in points and 8th in yards. That’s a pretty tough pill to swallow. 

17 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Lombardi gets jobs because he is connected to Sean Payton. 

I recall him being horrible with Detroit, but looking back it’s probably fairer to say he was not very good. And he was saddled with Ron Prince who seems to have been a terrible coach. Caldwell’s loyalty to him may have cost Caldwell his job. 

With the Chargers, Lombardi had a season where he was fifth in points and fourth in yards, and then got fired after a season when he was 13th in points and 8th in yards. That’s a pretty tough pill to swallow. 

I still remember him being one of the worst offensive coordinators I had ever seen haha.  Defenses were calling out the Lions' plays during week 1 or 2 and they did absolutely nothing about it.  Even I could pick out what the offense was going to do based on formations and I don't know much about football scheming.  He managed to completely neuter a Stafford/Megatron/Golden Tate offense and basically squander the Lions having an actual good defense for once.  He refused to change his scheme at all and guess what.....he was doing it again in San Diego!  It was almost impressive that he managed to have Herbert have the same average air yards per throw as Carson Wentz and Davis Mills last season, and Herbert had less average air yards per throw than Tyler Huntley (and we all know how much Baltimore likes to throw...).  The Chargers' offenses were respectable in points in spite of Lombardi in my opinion, not because he suddenly because a good OC.  I honestly can't believe he is still anywhere near the NFL as anything besides a "QB coach" for a star QB like he was with Brees.  I also don't think much of the Chargers' head coach but Lombardi needed to go for sure.

Can you tell I was annoyed having to hear about Lombardi a lot living in Southern California?

I am certainly no Lombardi defender (and I don’t need to be since apparently Sean Payton is). But I seem to recall the blocking schemes under Lombardi being utterly inept. Like multiple unblocked rushers all the time. In my recollection, I had pinned that at least in part on Prince as OL coach. But as I refreshed my memory I saw that Prince was TE coach those years. In retrospect, maybe Prince was de facto passing game coordinator as TE coach and got demoted to OL coach after Cooter got elevated. 

The NFLPA released report cards today for every franchise based off of surveys they had players complete. I’m not sure how much weight to put into it, because I’m sure all sorts of things can influence these results outside of the truth.

Lions were ranked 15th of 32. The Vikings came in 1st and the Commanders came in last. Cardinals were 31st.

The Detroit Lions were ranked 15th overall in the team guide. Most categories reviewed came back with generally positive reviews. 

The two issues that were highlighted as areas for improvement were first, a feeling that the training room was understaffed, and second, that the food service was significantly lacking. 

88% of respondents to our survey believe that the club ownership is willing to invest money to upgrade their facilities, ranking 21st in the league.

0EB15AB6-3DA0-45D8-9322-6E5FEBF847A9.jpeg

Edited by MichiganCardinal

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I didn't watch any GB games other than the last one. Is his throwing still good enough to play another year or will he end up embarrassing himself?

I think he can play another year but I don't think he's elite anymore and a team would need to give up picks, 60 million in a cap space, for a guy who will play another year, go into a hole in the ground, and likely retire. 

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I didn't watch any GB games other than the last one. Is his throwing still good enough to play another year or will he end up embarrassing himself?

It depends on whether his performance in 22-23 was the result of the thumb and rib injuries or whether he's lost 'it'. He wasn't good for most of the season. New York doesn't need good though they just need competent, so if their defense could replicate its efforts from last season with Rodgers, he'd probably replicate what Favre did in New York and win a few games but not be good enough for any sort of deep run.

I think Rodgers still has the ability to be elite, I mean he won the MVP in 2021 so he's not that far removed from being that but at his age if I was a team I don't know if I would want to mortgage the future in hopes that he will be. If he was a straight FA and "only" costed money then sure I'd sign him to a short term high AAV deal if I was a contending team in need of a QB but I don't think I'd be willing to give up a bunch of draft capital on top of paying him a ton which is what it sounds like its going to take to get him.