Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I saw some of the radio talking heads bringing up that fact as a way to justify drafting a qb but that's just this year, how about last year when 5 of the last 6 qbs werent on rookie deals and were expensive including the SB champs?

I don’t believe that is right.   Mahomes and Allen both signed extensions earlier than allowed but Mahomes didn’t kick in until this season and Allen next season.  Both Chiefs and Bills played 2021 season with QB rookie deals against the cap.   Burrow obviously was the other.  

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t believe that is right.   Mahomes and Allen both signed extensions earlier than allowed but Mahomes didn’t kick in until this season and Allen next season.  Both Chiefs and Bills played 2021 season with QB rookie deals against the cap.   Burrow obviously was the other.  

I thought Mahomes extension kicked in so I had him Brady,Stafford, Jimmy G,Rodgers and Tannehill. 

football outsiders:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2023/bill-obrien-patriots-aaron-rodgers-jets

DVOA tells us that the Lions were the best team to not make the playoffs this year, and most readers would probably agree; even Jets fans must admit that their team came unglued while the Lions were peaking by season's end.

The Lions were better than the Seahawks, Jaguars, Buccaneers, and Chargers. That feels right. Switch the Jaguars' and Lions' divisions, for example, and the Lions cruise to the playoffs, probably with a better record than the Jaguars.

Edited by buddha

4 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Steve Wilks would’ve come cheaper and would probably do a better job.   

But, you know........he's.........well...........you know.       It's a big problem in the NFL.   It's ridiculous.    He did a really good job with them.      I understand why Eric Bieniemy doesn't get a gig...........just look at his past -- not a good guy (plus Andy Reid calls the plays in KC).   But Black coaches are not treated anywhere close to equal, in a league that is more than 65% Black players.    Wilkes got screwed twice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, buddha said:

football outsiders:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2023/bill-obrien-patriots-aaron-rodgers-jets

DVOA tells us that the Lions were the best team to not make the playoffs this year, and most readers would probably agree; even Jets fans must admit that their team came unglued while the Lions were peaking by season's end.

The Lions were better than the Seahawks, Jaguars, Buccaneers, and Chargers. That feels right. Switch the Jaguars' and Lions' divisions, for example, and the Lions cruise to the playoffs, probably with a better record than the Jaguars.

If the Jets had Mike White at the end, they probably get in. 

I think there is a better chance of Brady going to the Jets than Rodgers

Top 3 for Aaron Rodgers

1. Titans  (doesn't he already have a home there?)

2. Raiders

3. Jets

Rodgers will probably want play calling power or some other ego crap. 

Top 3 for Tom Brady 

1. Dolphins

2. Jets

3. 49ers. 

You know Tom wants a shot at Belichick twice a year.  

Top 3 for Derek Carr

1. Jets

2. Colts

3. Packers

Carr is a good, not great QB.  Jets don't need greatness, they need competence 

Top 3 for Jimmy G

1. Buccaneers

2. Commanders

3. Saints

Game-manager.  He still wants to be a starter, but his choices will be limited

Wilks did a good job with Carolina, but he also went 3-13 in his only full season as a head coach. I could understand why Carolina would possibly want to go another direction. Reich is 40-33-1 FWIW.

Jim Caldwell is the one that grinds my gears. The Lions were right to fire him when they did, and I’ll go to my grave believing that. The fact they replaced him with one of the worst head coaches in NFL history doesn’t change that. He is the epitome of stability though. These franchises in crisis, like the Texans, Broncos, and Cardinals, could be 8-9 by 2024 with Caldwell. And while I think it would take a perfect storm for him to win it all, he’s a much better option than some of these dumpster fire candidates they’ve been hiring, like Urban Meyer and Nathanial Hackett.

18 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Wilks did a good job with Carolina, but he also went 3-13 in his only full season as a head coach. I could understand why Carolina would possibly want to go another direction. Reich is 40-33-1 FWIW.

Jim Caldwell is the one that grinds my gears. The Lions were right to fire him when they did, and I’ll go to my grave believing that. The fact they replaced him with one of the worst head coaches in NFL history doesn’t change that. He is the epitome of stability though. These franchises in crisis, like the Texans, Broncos, and Cardinals, could be 8-9 by 2024 with Caldwell. And while I think it would take a perfect storm for him to win it all, he’s a much better option than some of these dumpster fire candidates they’ve been hiring, like Urban Meyer and Nathanial Hackett.

I disagree on Wilkes.  The Cardinals were rebuilding when they brought him in.  The GM drafted Rosen, it didn't work form year one, because rookie QBs are rarely successful.    The reason Wilkes got screwed is that they fired him to bring in a losing college coach.   

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Rodgers is just being a diva. He is holding the Packers hostage and his ransom is they bring back players like Cobb, Tonyan and Mercedes Lewis. The Packers just have to rip the bandaid off and due to Rodgers what they did to Favre. 

If he showed up for all the training camps maybe he'd have connected with his young receivers sooner and they wouldn't have stunk in the first half...............Just sayin' 

Goff showed up for all of the Lions camps. 

Rodgers is a sure fire HOFer and at his best may be one of 3 to 5 most gifted qbs I have ever seen but with that said he should get more flack for his postseason failures. "Only" going to one SB when you consistently had HFA and/or a 1st round bye is unacceptable. Especially since you are gifted one of the best Home field advantages in football. 

He went to the playoffs 12 times and only twice did he win multiple games in them. That should not happen if you pride yourself on being the best qb.