Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I understand the concept, in wanting 11 skill players on the field. But putting only one player on the ball is as asinine as when Chuck Pagano ran that play against the Patriots. Of course they are going to rush your QB and hurry the most important throw of the play.

You wonder if there was a little 3D chess being played there where Shanahan had some idea Dallas might try going no line if he showed no rush when he knew he still had a TO to get out it and Dallas wouldn't when they lined up again.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

FWIW, Pat McAfee said the Colts were never suppose to snap that ball. It was suppose to confuse the Patriots and try to get them to jump.

It looked like Dallas had their OL split out wide so it looked like they were trying to get their lineman downfield to block. It was interesting but I'm not sure what Elliot was snapping the ball unless you wanted him available for a lateral. 

I've heard the interview. I still think it comes down to coaching. That play was never going to work (it was clearly a shift, not a scramble off the field), the players lined up illegally (so even if the Patriots had screwed up it would have been offsetting), and the center and QB were not on the same page. And even despite all of that, Pagano could have called a timeout when it was clearly not going to work. Instead, it lives in infamy.

It probably wouldn't have mattered anyway but Dalton Schultz first lazily heading to the sidelines resulting in him going backwards keeping the clock running then 2 plays later not even bothering to put his second foot down on the catch were two plays I would be super pissed off about if I was a Cowboys fan. At the very least they probably would've atleast been in hail mary range if he didn't half ass those two plays in the freaking divisional round of the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

FWIW, Pat McAfee said the Colts were never suppose to snap that ball. It was suppose to confuse the Patriots and try to get them to jump.

It looked like Dallas had their OL split out wide so it looked like they were trying to get their lineman downfield to block. It was interesting but I'm not sure what Elliot was snapping the ball unless you wanted him available for a lateral. 

DeMeco Ryans called that time out to convince his team not to fall for it.        He should be a Head Coach somewhere.   I don't know that the Texans would be a great idea, however.    Maybe he goes to Denver or Carolina.     

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It probably wouldn't have mattered anyway but Dalton Schultz first lazily heading to the sidelines resulting in him going backwards keeping the clock running then 2 plays later not even bothering to put his second foot down on the catch were two plays I would be super pissed off about if I was a Cowboys fan. At the very least they probably would've atleast been in hail mary range if he didn't half ass those two plays in the freaking divisional round of the playoffs. 

Not a good drive for Schultz, that's for sure. 

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

He cost Dallas 15 yards and probably one extra play. That was brutal. 

15 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

This was the cover of Sports Illustrated the week the Lions last won the NFL championship.

41494---toc-cover-image.webp

https://vault.si.com/vault/1958/01/06/all-hail-the-lusty-lions

It was the last Sunday of 1957, but despite the season it was an absolutely perfect day to play football. The sun was shining, the air was almost balmy and the seams of Briggs Stadium in Detroit were near to bursting with the 55,263 people who were willing to pay up to $10 apiece to watch their home-town Lions play the Cleveland Browns for the national professional football championship. As these once shunned and unwanted Lions racked up touchdown after touchdown, it seemed that Briggs Stadium could hardly contain the civic joy, but that is getting ahead of the story....

Two days earlier on a cold, blowy midnight, a line of people on Michigan Avenue in downtown Detroit stretched off into the darkness. One man was wrapped in an old multicolored quilt and another had a brown Army blanket draped tastefully over his shoulders. It was a good-natured line, and when a radio announcer asked the man in the quilt if he thought the Lions had a chance to win the following Sunday, the man said at the top of his voice, "We'll kill the Browns." The line cheered and continued to wait patiently to buy tickets to the game....

Governor G. Mennen Williams wired the commissioner of the National Football League and earnestly asked that the Lion-Brown championship game be put on television since it was a sellout. Bell refused (see page 22). Representative Thaddeus Machrowicz, of Detroit, wired the commissioner and pleaded passionately that the game be put on television. Bell refused. A filling station operator spent $200 to have an outsize aerial put on his service station and entertained his customers with the telecast of the game, picked up from 75 miles away; he too watched and didn't sell any gas....

That was Detroit before the Lions entertained the Browns. Like San Francisco the week before, when the Lions played the 49ers for the right to be in the championship game, Detroit was a hysterical city. Quarterback Tobin Rote was bigger than General Motors. Coach George Wilson was more important than the new Fords and Chryslers, and a ticket to the championship game was about as valuable as a Cadillac....

Detroit has always liked professional football. Detroit is a lusty, thriving, vigorous city and it has found a soul mate in the lusty, thriving, vigorous game. This year's Detroit Lions have endeared themselves to Detroit for a number of reasons, some of them logical.

Maybe the biggest reason was the innate American love of the underdog; the Lions fulfilled the role of underdog to a T. They, started the season by losing a coach. Buddy Parker, the moody, intense man who had guided the club to two world championships, announced as the season was about to begin: "I have a situation here I cannot handle. This is the worst team in training camp I have ever seen. The material is all right, but the team is dead. I don't want to get involved in another losing season, so I'm leaving Detroit football. I'm leaving tonight." He said this at a Detroit Lions boosters banquet, then stepped down from the podium and left. So the Lions had one big strike against them, and quite a few football fans figured the second strike followed immediately when the club named George Wilson as head coach to replace Parker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

This was the cover of Sports Illustrated the week the Lions last won the NFL championship.

41494---toc-cover-image.webp

https://vault.si.com/vault/1958/01/06/all-hail-the-lusty-lions

It was the last Sunday of 1957, but despite the season it was an absolutely perfect day to play football. The sun was shining, the air was almost balmy and the seams of Briggs Stadium in Detroit were near to bursting with the 55,263 people who were willing to pay up to $10 apiece to watch their home-town Lions play the Cleveland Browns for the national professional football championship. As these once shunned and unwanted Lions racked up touchdown after touchdown, it seemed that Briggs Stadium could hardly contain the civic joy, but that is getting ahead of the story....

Two days earlier on a cold, blowy midnight, a line of people on Michigan Avenue in downtown Detroit stretched off into the darkness. One man was wrapped in an old multicolored quilt and another had a brown Army blanket draped tastefully over his shoulders. It was a good-natured line, and when a radio announcer asked the man in the quilt if he thought the Lions had a chance to win the following Sunday, the man said at the top of his voice, "We'll kill the Browns." The line cheered and continued to wait patiently to buy tickets to the game....

Governor G. Mennen Williams wired the commissioner of the National Football League and earnestly asked that the Lion-Brown championship game be put on television since it was a sellout. Bell refused (see page 22). Representative Thaddeus Machrowicz, of Detroit, wired the commissioner and pleaded passionately that the game be put on television. Bell refused. A filling station operator spent $200 to have an outsize aerial put on his service station and entertained his customers with the telecast of the game, picked up from 75 miles away; he too watched and didn't sell any gas....

That was Detroit before the Lions entertained the Browns. Like San Francisco the week before, when the Lions played the 49ers for the right to be in the championship game, Detroit was a hysterical city. Quarterback Tobin Rote was bigger than General Motors. Coach George Wilson was more important than the new Fords and Chryslers, and a ticket to the championship game was about as valuable as a Cadillac....

Detroit has always liked professional football. Detroit is a lusty, thriving, vigorous city and it has found a soul mate in the lusty, thriving, vigorous game. This year's Detroit Lions have endeared themselves to Detroit for a number of reasons, some of them logical.

Maybe the biggest reason was the innate American love of the underdog; the Lions fulfilled the role of underdog to a T. They, started the season by losing a coach. Buddy Parker, the moody, intense man who had guided the club to two world championships, announced as the season was about to begin: "I have a situation here I cannot handle. This is the worst team in training camp I have ever seen. The material is all right, but the team is dead. I don't want to get involved in another losing season, so I'm leaving Detroit football. I'm leaving tonight." He said this at a Detroit Lions boosters banquet, then stepped down from the podium and left. So the Lions had one big strike against them, and quite a few football fans figured the second strike followed immediately when the club named George Wilson as head coach to replace Parker.

PS:

I have this Sports Illustrated and several other Detroit related issues...

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Pack are reportedly looking for 2 1sts for Rodgers, Im pretty sure the Jets owner would gladly pay that. If Rodgers would be willing to play for NY that could be a great match since they gave some promising young weapons and a stout defense. 

I’m not sure ARod wants any part of Zach Wilson making his life hell in practice every day.  😂 

27 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Pack are reportedly looking for 2 1sts for Rodgers, Im pretty sure the Jets owner would gladly pay that. If Rodgers would be willing to play for NY that could be a great match since they gave some promising young weapons and a stout defense. 

Watch them use the two firsts on WRs. 😂

• Haha 1

Rumors circling that former Stanford coach David Shaw may really get the Broncos job.  This is truly amazing since his only real qualification is that he coached at Stanford and the new Denver ownership groups are alums.    He was 14-28 in his last 4 seasons prior to resigning.  I don’t believe any of the other NFL openings even had him on their initial interview list.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Rumors circling that former Stanford coach David Shaw may really get the Broncos job.  This is truly amazing since his only real qualification is that he coached at Stanford and the new Denver ownership groups are alums.    He was 14-28 in his last 4 seasons prior to resigning.  I don’t believe any of the other NFL openings even had him on their initial interview list.  

In the days of 15,000 person crowds at Stanford Stadium, "up the middle / up the middle / pass / punt!" chants were sometimes the loudest thing heard that day.

Great guy. But his offenses are as vanilla as it comes, and he's let the game pass him by.

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

In the days of 15,000 person crowds at Stanford Stadium, "up the middle / up the middle / pass / punt!" chants were sometimes the loudest thing heard that day.

Great guy. But his offenses are as vanilla as it comes, and he's let the game pass him by.

Was there talk of Stanford firing him if he didn’t resign on his own or was his job safe for as long as he wanted it? 

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Was there talk of Stanford firing him if he didn’t resign on his own or was his job safe for as long as he wanted it? 

There were a lot of grumblings that athletics alums and donors wanted him out, but he still had the support of the school and the administration (whose priorities are everything but wins).

I got the sense that the resignation was on his own, with a lot of writing on the wall. He may have gotten one more year if he hadn’t resigned, but I don’t think it was guaranteed. The program wasn’t about to magically turn around under Shaw in 2023.

• Thanks 1

I saw some of the radio talking heads bringing up that fact as a way to justify drafting a qb but that's just this year, how about last year when 5 of the last 6 qbs werent on rookie deals and were expensive including the SB champs?

Or the year before that where the 2 SB teams were high dollar qbs? Things change year to year in the NFL so just cause this year 3 out of the 4 are on rookie deals it doesn't mean that is the way its always going to be 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I saw some of the radio talking heads bringing up that fact as a way to justify drafting a qb but that's just this year, how about last year when 5 of the last 6 qbs werent on rookie deals and were expensive including the SB champs?

Or the year before that where the 2 SB teams were high dollar qbs? Things change year to year in the NFL so just cause this year 3 out of the 4 are on rookie deals it doesn't mean that is the way its always going to be 

And everyone seems to jump on whatever the latest bandwagon is...

But, the flipside is that there does seem to be some changing of the guard at play right now...

Rodgers & Brady are pretty much on the outs and the young kids are definitely in...