Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

17 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I do kind of like what they did with Soldier Field in that rendering. Isn't Chicago's soccer team looking for a stadium? I would remove the spaceship from Soldier Field leaving the columns and rebuild a seating bowl of 25,000 for the soccer team and outdoor concerts. That would fit in better to the park and the Bears could move to the suburbs. 

the men's soccer team plays there now.

the white sox also came along with their hand out looking for a new stadium (while also meeting with nashville).  at the same time the women's soccer team said they wanted a new stadium too.  the city is about to go off a financial cliff, the state has some of the worst finances in the country, and jerry reinsdorf/the mckaskeys want billions in hand outs.

they still owe $500 million for the last stadium!

Just now, buddha said:

the men's soccer team plays there now.

the white sox also came along with their hand out looking for a new stadium (while also meeting with nashville).  at the same time the women's soccer team said they wanted a new stadium too.  the city is about to go off a financial cliff, the state has some of the worst finances in the country, and jerry reinsdorf/the mckaskeys want billions in hand outs.

they still owe $500 million for the last stadium!

Wait, there's a women's soccer league? 

I saw the renderings for the new White Sox stadium and the location looks amazing. I wouldn't mind seeing that get built if the White Sox foot the bill. 

Does the soccer team sell out Soldier Field? I thought soccer teams generally play in like 25k seat stadiums? I would like to return Soldier Field to it's original design where you can see the columns from the field. Just shrink it to accommodate soccer. 

I don't get it either. When we lived there I was under the impression that most of the paying fans were in the NW suburbs. Arlington Race Course, to me was always the perfect location. There's a METRA stop close by, enough parking for those from South Barrington or Lake Forest to park. Halas Hall is a lot closer. 

They'd be better off building at the Gary Airport, or better yet the Thornton Quarry. There is already a ready made hole there

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Wait, there's a women's soccer league? 

I saw the renderings for the new White Sox stadium and the location looks amazing. I wouldn't mind seeing that get built if the White Sox foot the bill. 

Does the soccer team sell out Soldier Field? I thought soccer teams generally play in like 25k seat stadiums? I would like to return Soldier Field to it's original design where you can see the columns from the field. Just shrink it to accommodate soccer. 

the soccer team does not come close to selling out soldier field.  they had a smaller stadium built for them 20+ years ago in a southwest suburb but they moved out of it recently.  their fan base is probably milennials who live on the northside and hispanics on the west side.  maybe.  

there is a women's soccer team!  it was news to me too.

the sox stadium looks great, but they want at least a billion from the state.  reinsdorf is such a jack ass i hope they get nothing and move to nashville.  eff the sox.  the state still pays them money when they dont get enough fans.

reinsdorf messed up new comiskey 30 years ago.  they had plans to make it a nice open field with lots of street vendors and shops and bars but he nixed it because he wanted everyone to spend their money in the park and lots of paid parking the sox would control.  he's a penny pinching miser with no vision.

36 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I don't get it either. When we lived there I was under the impression that most of the paying fans were in the NW suburbs. Arlington Race Course, to me was always the perfect location. There's a METRA stop close by, enough parking for those from South Barrington or Lake Forest to park. Halas Hall is a lot closer. 

They'd be better off building at the Gary Airport, or better yet the Thornton Quarry. There is already a ready made hole there

it is a perfect location.  but the mckaskeys are terrible businessmen who think with their hearts (bear weather, playing on the lakefront) rather than their heads.

these drawings look great but we'll see if it gets built.  there are a lot of interests to keep the lakefront clear of big glass monstrosities.  otoh, the bears have a lot of powerful friends and a stupid, unpopular mayor who needs a PR win.

there is a movement to put the financing on the ballot.  i doubt that will happen because if it did the bears would lose.

The Bears have been absolutely gift wrapped an opportunity at relevance thanks to David Tepper and his moronic decision-making in Carolina... But I'll believe it when I see it.

I think Ryan Poles is a mediocre GM. He's not bungled the obvious picks, like taking Caleb Williams, but the same could have been said for Martin Mayhew, taking Matt Stafford and Ndamukong Suh. Sometimes easy decisions happen upon average management. But like Mayhew, it's not the easy decisions that he will be judged on. It's the 2nd and 3rd round picks, the trades, and the ability to build and sustain around Williams. He hasn't inspired confidence in those areas yet. E.g., Trading #32 overall pick for Chase Claypool... E.g., his 2nd and 3rd round picks having disappointing debuts last year (Gervon Dexter, Tyrique Stevenson, and Zacch Pickens all had "disappointing" rookie seasons per Chicago pundits)... The only clear win on his resume is the trade with the Panthers, which is largely considered to have been stupid on the part of the Panthers, not genius on the part of the Bears.

But worse for them is Matt Eberflus, who I think is just bad. His game management is not good (he lost them the game against the Lions last season), and some to all of Fields' lack of development has to fall on his shoulders. Does Williams have enough natural talent to overcome that? Maybe. But he's still a rookie. And if they disappoint this season, he's probably going to go into his sophomore season with a new head coach. Following the same exact track that Fields went on after getting picked by the Bears.

The Lions success has taught me that there is truly something to be said for instilling a winning culture in a program in order for it to have success in the NFL. Obviously Dan Campbell and Brad Holmes have succeeded at that. I don't see that with Eberflus and Poles. But maybe I'm wrong.

36 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The Bears have been absolutely gift wrapped an opportunity at relevance thanks to David Tepper and his moronic decision-making in Carolina... But I'll believe it when I see it.

I think Ryan Poles is a mediocre GM. He's not bungled the obvious picks, like taking Caleb Williams, but the same could have been said for Martin Mayhew, taking Matt Stafford and Ndamukong Suh. Sometimes easy decisions happen upon average management. But like Mayhew, it's not the easy decisions that he will be judged on. It's the 2nd and 3rd round picks, the trades, and the ability to build and sustain around Williams. He hasn't inspired confidence in those areas yet. E.g., Trading #32 overall pick for Chase Claypool... E.g., his 2nd and 3rd round picks having disappointing debuts last year (Gervon Dexter, Tyrique Stevenson, and Zacch Pickens all had "disappointing" rookie seasons per Chicago pundits)... The only clear win on his resume is the trade with the Panthers, which is largely considered to have been stupid on the part of the Panthers, not genius on the part of the Bears.

But worse for them is Matt Eberflus, who I think is just bad. His game management is not good (he lost them the game against the Lions last season), and some to all of Fields' lack of development has to fall on his shoulders. Does Williams have enough natural talent to overcome that? Maybe. But he's still a rookie. And if they disappoint this season, he's probably going to go into his sophomore season with a new head coach. Following the same exact track that Fields went on after getting picked by the Bears.

The Lions success has taught me that there is truly something to be said for instilling a winning culture in a program in order for it to have success in the NFL. Obviously Dan Campbell and Brad Holmes have succeeded at that. I don't see that with Eberflus and Poles. But maybe I'm wrong.

they love stevenson.  he was a hit.  

the other two played and were ok.  but they were projects.

he also sent a second round pick for sweat, who was excellent for them.  the bears had a top 5 defense after getting sweat.

keenan allen, dj moore, cole kmet, and rome odunze are a formidable set of pass catchers.  the question for the bears is the offensive line.  they took a tackle in round 2 this year who projects to guard.  their starting left tackle is a 5th round pick.  their iol is "ok" at best.  if there is a criticism of poles its that he has ignored the oline.

the bears are set up for a long time.  however, next year will likely be an up and down season with williams as a rookie.

the other issue is coaching.  we'll see if eberflus amounts to anything.  they had a chance for a reset this year and they failed to do it.  which is very typical for the bears.

• Like 1

Post-Draft Power Rankings

1. Kansas City Chiefs
  2. Detroit Lions
  3. Philadelphia Eagles
  4. San Francisco 49ers
  5. Cincinnati Bengals
  6. Buffalo Bills
  7. Houston Texans
  8. Green Bay Packers
  9. Dallas Cowboys
  10. Baltimore Ravens
  11. Los Angeles Rams
  12. Miami Dolphins
  13. Pittsburgh Steelers
  14. Jacksonville Jaguars
  15. Chicago Bears
  16. New York Jets
  17. Atlanta Falcons
  18. Cleveland Browns
  19. Los Angeles Chargers
  20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  21. Indianapolis Colts
  22. Seattle Seahawks
  23. New Orleans Saints
  24. Las Vegas Raiders
  25. Minnesota Vikings
  26. Arizona Cardinals
  27. Washington Commanders
  28. Tennessee Titans
  29. Carolina Panthers
  30. New York Giants
  31. New England Patriots
  32. Denver Broncos

I totally agree with you Cardinal.

I've been saying this amongst friends and on here.  What separates Holmes from other Lion's GM's and other current NFL GM's are the moves to get relevant and pro bowl players in spots that you're not supposed to.  I don't remember a GM in recent Detroit sports history that is as complete and can find talent that others can't.  Stevie looks like he has it from some of the Wings picks (and Tampa) although until they make the playoffs you can't even put him in the same category.  The obvious picks aren't going to win you championships in the NFL.   I actually think the most important picks to be relevant for a long time, are the depth picks because in the NFL, there are always injuries.  The depth picks also allow you to let some guys go that are really good to great players although you can't pay everyone.

• Like 1