Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

This is absolute insanity.  What in the world are they thinking paying him this much.    I think Brad’s only misstep of the offseason was waiting so long to extend Amon-Ra.   

Edited by Hongbit

32 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I honestly don't hate it. I think returns are going to favor running backs more as returners.

I don't either. It's not a bad looking play. It doesn't have the speed/drama of a conventional kickoff, but if the league isn't going to have those, then it's better than coming back from commercial break for 30 seconds of a fair catch or kick sailing through the end zone before going back to break.....

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't either. It's not a bad looking play. It doesn't have the speed/drama of a conventional kickoff, but if the league isn't going to have those, then it's better than coming back from commercial break for 30 seconds of a fair catch or kick sailing through the end zone before going back to break.....

Agreed. It should make for more excitement. Look for teams to put much more emphasis on the return game.

2 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

Now if only they would go with the old XFL way of doing the coin toss.  

I know this isn't safe at all and someone got injured doing it, but as a kid I loved the XFL opening scramble and found it way more competitive than the flip of a coin. It's too bad it simply isn't safe to do.

46 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I like the rule as far as kickoffs go. I think it will encourage more returns in a safer way. I just don't love the way it's (even more) nerfed the onsides kick.

I agree about the way they did away with onside kicks, but I think it's like when BB did away with throwing 4 pitches for IBB. There was no reason to do away with it, but it won't actually make much of a difference to the game now that its been eliminated.

2 hours ago, ben9753 said:

I agree about the way they did away with onside kicks, but I think it's like when BB did away with throwing 4 pitches for IBB. There was no reason to do away with it, but it won't actually make much of a difference to the game now that its been eliminated.

Eh... yeah, kinda...

I mean the number of times when the pitcher threw 4 balls and something happened (The batter swung at the pitch, the pitch was super wild, the catcher messed up the catch) AND that mistake effected the game was not zero, but super duper low.

In the same sense onsides kicks that are successful are super duper low, so making that success rate even lower may not seem like a major deal, but...   Even though the percentage of successful onsides kicks are low, it's still much, much higher than a mistake on an intentional walk causing a benefit for the other team. And it's a way to keep a team in a game and make it interesting for fans watching.

In the end it's not something I'm going to be super upset about, it's just a little disappointing. But if the new rules can make returns more likely and more interesting on kickoffs, I'm okay with sacrificing surprise onsides kicks for that I guess.

Valenti brought it up yesterday but I wonder with these new kickoff rules if the Lions would entertain the thought of having Jamo back there as another way to possibly get him more involved and make an impact? Maybe not all the time but sneak him in there here and there and see if he can break one. 

On somewhat similar note I see the Steelers signed famed returner Cordarelle Patterson almost immediately after the new rules were passed so it seems that teams may already be trying to find ways to take advantage of it.  

46 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Valenti brought it up yesterday but I wonder with these new kickoff rules if the Lions would entertain the thought of having Jamo back there as another way to possibly get him more involved and make an impact? Maybe not all the time but sneak him in there here and there and see if he can break one. 

On somewhat similar note I see the Steelers signed famed returner Cordarelle Patterson almost immediately after the new rules were passed so it seems that teams may already be trying to find ways to take advantage of it.  

After watching some of those kickoffs, I think it would favor running backs. They almost form a line of scrimmage. I think that's better suited for someone with the vision of a running back. I would probably stick with Reynolds as the returner but I think Gibbs would probably be better suited for it. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I usually admire the Steelers organization, but Patterson is 33. This is a case of trying to be the smartest guy in the room. They'd probably be better off putting Fields back there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I usually admire the Steelers organization, but Patterson is 33. This is a case of trying to be the smartest guy in the room. They'd probably be better off putting Fields back there.

if someone could convince fields that he's not a good qb, but is actually an amazing rb or wr, they might have a unique talent.

40 minutes ago, buddha said:

if someone could convince fields that he's not a good qb, but is actually an amazing rb or wr, they might have a unique talent.

I wonder if the Steelers think they can utilize Fields similar to what they did with Kordell Stewart. 

4 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I wonder if the Steelers think they can utilize Fields similar to what they did with Kordell Stewart. 

i suspect if they keep fields at qb he will end up as successful as kordell stewart.

which is not a compliment.