Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

20 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

yeah; most boring 1st half ever

and if fix was in for Chiefs, why did the refs 3 times in the 4th quarter spot the ball the short?

Mahomes is a killer

Yeah, he was running for his life all night. He, Kelce, and the defense made plays all night. 

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I might be upset with the kicker too if it were my team but it's not fair to say that if he made the kick they would've won. Lets say he does and they go up 4, KC then knows they have to score a TD and their strategy completely changes once they get in their territory since now they know a FG does them no good. So if Moody makes that kick SF could've just as easily lost in regulation due to KC scoring a TD. 

He also made the longest FG in SB history earlier in the game.

The Lions beat KC in week 1, on the road.  They almost beat SF 2 weeks ago, you could argue they should have, whatever. SF loses in OT to KC.

Yeah... the Lions belong.  They would have fit right in.

Late last week I was thinking about how crazy this town would be right now with the Lions in Vegas.  The Red Wings played Saturday night in Detroit.  I bet there would have been a constant chant of Let's Go Lions and Jared Goff. 

Also a moderator note here:

Let's try to keep the political talk out of the sports forums.  I get that a certain side is against Taylor and all of that but we don't need to bring that into this thread.  Should be about the game only.  Those things can snowball if people start responding and then it becomes less fun. There's a subforum for that talk.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He would have went for the dagger to try and win it right there. He's going for the TD no question. 

I definitely think there was an argument to go for it. You had plenty of field to work with, not just the endzone, so I think 4th and 4 from the 9 is easier than 4th and goal from the 4, say. If you’re stopped, you’re still ahead by about 15 yards of field possession compared to giving it to them on the 25 after a touchback. Your defense has played well all night so you’d be trusting them to prevent the Chiefs from at least gaining 45 yards or so to move from their own 9 into FG position. That’s true either way, but by kicking a FG, you’re guaranteeing that the Chiefs would be using 4 downs the entire drive, whereas if the Niners had tried and failed the Chiefs would probably punt on any 4th down in their own territory. All things considering, I think I would have gone for it. 

7 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

Lions win that game if they are in the same position in OT and go for the TD instead of settling for a FG.  There's nothing about that final Chiefs drive that the Lions would have been able to stop, especially the two big runs by Mahomes.  

The Chiefs would still get the ball after a TD.

25 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

The Chiefs would still get the ball after a TD.

I know, I just found that out this morning. I guess I”m dumb for not knowing about the rule change. I suppose they mentioned it during the OT coin flip which I was in the kitchen for, but did they mention it all during the drive? Changes so many thingss. 

5 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I know, I just found that out this morning. I guess I”m dumb for not knowing about the rule change. I suppose they mentioned it during the OT coin flip which I was in the kitchen for, but did they mention it all during the drive? Changes so many things. 

Yes they were talking about it quite a bit... Before and during...

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yes they were talking about it quite a bit... Before and during...

Lol,so I guess I’m just old and absent minded even when I think I’m paying attention. Next year I need to watch Nickelodeon and have Dora explain everything to me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Lol,so I guess I’m just old and absent minded even when I think I’m paying attention. Next year I need to watch Nickelodeon and have Dora explain everything to me. 

Do not knock it

4 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

I know, right?  When a bunch of people like something I don't, clearly they are all wrong.  

I don't knock it, but I will say the degree to which she is idolized as a cult-like hero is insane. I've never seen such a widespread pandemonium in my lifetime and it doesn't show signs of slowing.

I'm sure some... wiser... posters could have some other musical artists who they could compare this to, but I've been around a few decades now and I've never experienced anything like the degree to which her fandom has risen since the Eras Tour first took off.

1 hour ago, GoBlue23 said:

I saw somewhere online that Taylor Swift was on TV for less than a minute in total and people are freaking out like they focused on her more than the game. 

they gave her and Kelce a lot of camera in the post game - too much IMO - How long can you watch one hug?

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't knock it, but I will say the degree to which she is idolized as a cult-like hero is insane

You could have been there for the Beatles. Maybe one difference in the feel of it was that they had such strong positions, or attitudes - often publicly negative,  about their fame and influence -esp John, and then they started more or less hiding out which amped the mystique.  But millions of kids trying to play records backward to glean possible messages of cosmic importance?   Pretty over the top.  Pop star mania and QAnon all rolled into one.

Another big difference though is that Lennon (again) in particular courted opposition by being overtly political, getting arrested, etc.,  so between the Generation gap and War/Antiwar politics divisions the Beatles always had a big core of detractors that at least had rational political arguments about whey they didn't like them.

The situation with Swift is made ridiculous mostly by the ridiculousness of the complaints about her and the people making them.

Edited by gehringer_2

15 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Taylor Swift..her popularity is mystifying.   

It's been happening since The Beatles and Elvis. The difference is the fans have 24/7 access to the fandom now. In a few years, it will be someone else. Apparently the attention on her bothers some people. Ok. *shrug* It's nothing to get up in arms about and these idiots need to let people enjoy things.

• Like 4

I rarely watch or read anything outside of sports and history stuff nor do I listen to any current music so I was pretty ignorant to her fame.

I mean I obviously heard of her and knew she was one of the biggest stars but it wasn't until she played here and I watched the local news and how crazy everybody was until I realized that she wasn't just one of the bigger names but she was far and away the most famous star going. 

It especially made me do a double take when my 75 year old Step Dad who isn't into current pop culture brought up "being a Swiftie" the fact he would know the term for her fans really let me know how famous she was.

I think the broadcast handled Taylor Swift well on Sunday. They showed her a lot, but Romo and Nantz rarely mentioned her. To me, not that much different than when broadcasts would frequently flash to Nicholson at Lakers game or Bill Murray during the Cubs WS run. I could do without so many crowds shots in general (for some reason I particularly hated how Fox would show the  Red Sox fans with their hands in praying position pitch after pitch after pitch), but the Super Bowl has always had tons of distractions. Its' not like she was on a headpiece being interviewed by Nantz between downs in the 3rd quarter.

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1