Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

I think the broadcast handled Taylor Swift well on Sunday. They showed her a lot, but Romo and Nantz rarely mentioned her. To me, not that much different than when broadcasts would frequently flash to Nicholson at Lakers game or Bill Murray during the Cubs WS run. I could do without so many crowds shots in general (for some reason I particularly hated how Fox would show the  Red Sox fans with their hands in praying position pitch after pitch after pitch), but the Super Bowl has always had tons of distractions. Its' not like she was on a headpiece being interviewed by Nantz between downs in the 3rd quarter.

Sponge Bob and Patrick Starr were all about Taylor Swift on the broadcast I watched.    I didn't mind because I've reached that part of my life that ignores how baggy the kid's pants are. 

Edited by romad1

23 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't knock it, but I will say the degree to which she is idolized as a cult-like hero is insane. I've never seen such a widespread pandemonium in my lifetime and it doesn't show signs of slowing.

I'm sure some... wiser... posters could have some other musical artists who they could compare this to, but I've been around a few decades now and I've never experienced anything like the degree to which her fandom has risen since the Eras Tour first took off.

She's so big, the ratings for the Super Bowl were the 2nd biggest of all time, next only to the moon landing. Bunch of teeny boppers tuning into football to see her. With millions of dollars to be made, it's no wonder CBS showed her so much.

She transcends the age demographic... BTS has a similar appeal, drawing fans from a lot of different age groups.  The key is getting the women over 35.  They're the Stanley mug demo.  If Swift ever puts out her own wine...she will be their God

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/13/2024 at 11:19 AM, Shinzaki said:

Things were less complicated when the game was played during the day and Up With People was the halftime show...

a salute to the greatest hemisphere of all time, the western hemisphere!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

1 dead, 30+ injured from shooting at end of KC Super Bowl parade. Damn. Has that ever happened, a shooting at a championship parade?

Not that I can recall. Lots of fire and turned over cars, but nothing like that. 

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

1 dead, 30+ injured from shooting at end of KC Super Bowl parade. Damn. Has that ever happened, a shooting at a championship parade?

Yes,  when the Pistons won (can't remember what year), but it was in the postgame and even though it happened during the post game riot/celebration, it had nothing to do with it.  It wasn't random. 

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Yes,  when the Pistons won (can't remember what year), but it was in the postgame and even though it happened during the post game riot/celebration, it had nothing to do with it.  It wasn't random. 

i dont think this was random either.

5 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

When the Tigers won in 84, one person was shot to death during the riot celebration.  

When we were walking from Tiger Stadium to our parked car after Game 3 of the 1984 World Series on the Friday night, we saw a guy pulled out of a car and stabbed multiple times by a guy. I do not think it was random, do not know the fate of the stabbee. That is the only real violence that I have seen at any Detroit sporting event I have attended over the years, apart from fistfights. I got caught up in a Vancouver riot after Game 7 of the 1994 Stanley Cup loss to the Rangers, but no one lost their life and there were no gunshots as far as I can recall.

49 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What's the word on this?     The way the Q-Anon crowd was playing up the whole Taylor Swift secret agent for Biden thing, it makes me wonder if one of those idiots snapped.  

it looks like a fight that spiraled out of control, shots were fired, and some randoms were hit.  not sure if it waa gang related or not.

6 hours ago, buddha said:

it looks like a fight that spiraled out of control, shots were fired, and some randoms were hit.  not sure if it waa gang related or not.

Well, I'm sure the real target's offense was death penalty-worthy and Lisa Lopez Galvan should have stayed out of the way of the reasonable response.    I still would see this as pretty random unless the two groups previously decided to meet there.     Look at someone wrong and they go for their gun.     And we still throw non-violent drug users in jail in much of this country.      Nobody is safe in this country anywhere anymore.  Parades, School, Church, Shopping.  I am still shocked that this hasn't happened at ballgame or football game.   A lot of stadiums face downtown buildings.   Snipers on the roof of sports stadiums.  Sad they're needed.     But yeah, rah-rah guns.   It's just so disgusting.     

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well, I'm sure the real target's offense was death penalty-worthy and Lisa Lopez Galvan should have stayed out of the way of the reasonable response.    I still would see this as pretty random unless the two groups previously decided to meet there.     Look at someone wrong and they go for their gun.     And we still throw non-violent drug users in jail in much of this country.      Nobody is safe in this country anywhere anymore.  Parades, School, Church, Shopping.  I am still shocked that this hasn't happened at ballgame or football game.   A lot of stadiums face downtown buildings.   Snipers on the roof of sports stadiums.  Sad they're needed.     But yeah, rah-rah guns.   It's just so disgusting.     

ok.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

INSANE!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39654399/broncos-cut-russell-wilson-take-85m-dead-money-hit

Broncos to cut Russell Wilson, take on $85M dead money hit

It would be incredibly smart for a team who is drafting a rookie QB this year, to sign Russ to a one-year deal and let that rookie watch and learn some things and not throw them to the wolves like Carolina did.   Not ready to say Bryce Young is a bust.   If guys like Bryce Young and Zack Wilson were allowed to soak things in they might have had a better run.    

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It would be incredibly smart for a team who is drafting a rookie QB this year, to sign Russ to a one-year deal and let that rookie watch and learn some things and not throw them to the wolves like Carolina did.   Not ready to say Bryce Young is a bust.   If guys like Bryce Young and Zack Wilson were allowed to soak things in they might have had a better run.    

Same on the other end of the spectrum too. If guys like Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen were thrown to the wolves in their rookie year in a place like Carolina or New (Jersey), I doubt they'd be the QBs they are today either.