Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It would be incredibly smart for a team who is drafting a rookie QB this year, to sign Russ to a one-year deal and let that rookie watch and learn some things and not throw them to the wolves like Carolina did.   Not ready to say Bryce Young is a bust.   If guys like Bryce Young and Zack Wilson were allowed to soak things in they might have had a better run.    

The way I understand it, Denver is on the hook for his salary this year so a new team can sign him for the league minimum since Denver is paying his full salary. Why wouldn't a team take a flyer on him for that? 

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The way I understand it, Denver is on the hook for his salary this year so a new team can sign him for the league minimum since Denver is paying his full salary. Why wouldn't a team take a flyer on him for that? 

The way things played out in Denver too, it was never going to work between him and Payton. I wouldn't be surprised if he still has something left in the tank, particularly going to a lower pressure place like Washington or Tennessee, where he can effectively be told he has nothing to lose.

37 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Someone will...ATL, NE just a couple that come to mind.

Edited by KnoxP

29 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The way things played out in Denver too, it was never going to work between him and Payton. I wouldn't be surprised if he still has something left in the tank, particularly going to a lower pressure place like Washington or Tennessee, where he can effectively be told he has nothing to lose.

I like how Campbell got all of the good qualities from Payton and none of the bad. Payton tried to make Wilson into Brees and he's not a Brees type of QB. I still question who the real Russell Wilson is, but I'm not sure Payton got the most out of Wilson. Meanwhile, Campbell is getting the most out of Goff and not asking him to do things he can't do. 

I honestly didn’t watch enough Seahawks or Broncos game to make a judgement but this is now two teams that chose to take huge dead cap hits to get rid of this guy. That’s telling.  I think he really could be washed up.  Another awesome mobile QB that turned into a pumpkin when asked to use his head and arm instead of hit feet.  

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

There's also the fact that Russell Wilson is a weird guy and a lot of his former teammates in Seattle didn't seem to like him. 

I saw an episode of Peyton's Places where they highlighted RW and his early career choice between bball and fball.  He seemed odd in it. I know confidence is needed as and NFL QB but he seemed to have excess.  

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

There's also the fact that Russell Wilson is a weird guy and a lot of his former teammates in Seattle didn't seem to like him. 

Yeah a lot came out about him personally that made it clear he wasn't well liked. The story I remember best is the one that he wouldn't give teammates his cell number, and made them go through his manager if they wanted to reach him.

It may be hard for a guy with that kind of ego to eat his slice of humble pie. 

36 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yeah, that might have a huge impact on if teams are willing to take a flier on him. I mean from a cash stand point it makes sense, but if he's disrupting the locker room it may not be worth it.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Yeah a lot came out about him personally that made it clear he wasn't well liked. The story I remember best is the one that he wouldn't give teammates his cell number, and made them go through his manager if they wanted to reach him.

It may be hard for a guy with that kind of ego to eat his slice of humble pie. 

I remember when Cade McNamara started playing for MI, everyone was initially struck by his self-confidence and seeming command. But then we started to see he was actually a little off the deep end and detached from reality in his own self-assessment. A lot of fine lines a star has to be able to stay on the right side of. 🙄

17 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It would be incredibly smart for a team who is drafting a rookie QB this year, to sign Russ to a one-year deal and let that rookie watch and learn some things and not throw them to the wolves like Carolina did.   Not ready to say Bryce Young is a bust.   If guys like Bryce Young and Zack Wilson were allowed to soak things in they might have had a better run.    

i dont think russell wilson is a mentor, i think he's an ego maniac who is all about russ.  i would never bring him in to mentor anyone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, buddha said:

i dont think russell wilson is a mentor, i think he's an ego maniac who is all about russ.  i would never bring him in to mentor anyone.

He doesn't need to be a mentor.  Let the coaches do that.  A lot of rookies just need to sit for a year.   We've had a lot of QB busts in the last decade that seems to go along with this philosophy that if you draft a QB in the Top 10 or Top 20 they must play right away.    I think some of those busts could have had a more successful career if they had time to adjust to the size and speed of the NFL.    C.J. Stroud is a unicorn.      I think that's why it was smart for the Lions to take a QB they had no intention of playing right away. 

Russ is a jackass, but I don't think he suddenly forgot how to play football.   He got complacent.   He owes more to Pete Carroll than he'd ever admit.   I still think, in the right system, he's an upgrade over about 1/4 of the league's starters.  

Brett Favre didn't mentor Aaron Rodgers and Rodgers didn't mentor Jordan Love.      The Dangerwich isn't even spicy, too.   Asshole. 

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He doesn't need to be a mentor.  Let the coaches do that.  A lot of rookies just need to sit for a year.   We've had a lot of QB busts in the last decade that seems to go along with this philosophy that if you draft a QB in the Top 10 or Top 20 they must play right away.    I think some of those busts could have had a more successful career if they had time to adjust to the size and speed of the NFL.    C.J. Stroud is a unicorn.      I think that's why it was smart for the Lions to take a QB they had no intention of playing right away. 

Russ is a jackass, but I don't think he suddenly forgot how to play football.   He got complacent.   He owes more to Pete Carroll than he'd ever admit.   I still think, in the right system, he's an upgrade over about 1/4 of the league's starters.  

Brett Favre didn't mentor Aaron Rodgers and Rodgers didn't mentor Jordan Love.      The Dangerwich isn't even spicy, too.   Asshole. 

nyah.  russ would be detrimental to any young qb.  he wouldnt take the time to coach, mentor, od develop him.  the new qb would learn bad habits from a guy more concerned with his own stats and instagram likes than he would be in winning games.

if i had a young qb, i would never sign russ.  i would rather have dacid blough or nate sudfeld than a guy like russ.

I watched some analysis and film on Wilson and have come to the conclusion he was never really a good QB. He never actually ran an offense. The whole let Russ cook was basically him running around post snap and waiting for someone to pop open. He never makes pre snap reads or changes into a different play. He never throws over the middle of the field. He's basically Justin Fields but just more successful. Now that he's older, he can't cook like he used to. When I look at what Carroll was able to do with Wilson and Geno Smith, he was such an underrated coach. 

Not sure if it's been brought up or not but from what I read the NFL is very likely to change the kickoff rules in 2024 to try to make the return come back into play. 

The proposal is that if you kick it to the end zone in the air and the guy takes the touch back the team gets it at the 35 yard line.

Basically trying to entice teams to kick it in play and force a return. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

... The proposal is that if you kick it to the end zone in the air and the guy takes the touch back the team gets it at the 35 yard line....

That's bull****.

Penalize a team for having a good kicker?

Gotta be another way... 

Not this.

Not sure if it's been brought up or not but from what I read the NFL is very likely to change the kickoff rules in 2024 to try to make the return come back into play. 

The proposal is that if you kick it to the end zone in the air and the guy takes the touch back the team gets it at the 35 yard line.

Hmm. Under current rules you also get a touch back to the 25 on a fair catch so that would have to be repealed or moved back also or you still would't get a return on most kicks inside the 10. 

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

That's bull****.

Penalize a team for having a good kicker?

Gotta be another way... 

Not this.

This is exactly the problem.   You don’t have to be a good kicker to put it in the endzone every time.  These legs have gotten so strong that every guy in the league can do it easily.    

I like the change as it puts a priority on precision.  Not everyone can kick it high and drop it right into a tight spot.  That should become the new measure for a good kickoff guy.  

I like it. anything that puts excitement and anticipation in the game is good. Touchbacks got to be so predictable and boring. When the receiving team actually returns the ball you sit up and watch. But I thought they wanted to do away with returns because of injuries, so not sure how this helps. They moved up the kickoff to reduce returns, now they're making rules to increase them.

9 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

I like it. anything that puts excitement and anticipation in the game is good. Touchbacks got to be so predictable and boring. When the receiving team actually returns the ball you sit up and watch. But I thought they wanted to do away with returns because of injuries, so not sure how this helps. They moved up the kickoff to reduce returns, now they're making rules to increase them.

The only thing you can count on with NFL rule making is that they never admit they made a mistake by just changing a rule back, they will change some other rule to try and get back to where they were while leaving the change it turned out they didn't really like in place. :classic_laugh:

1 hour ago, ben9753 said:

... I thought they wanted to do away with returns because of injuries, so not sure how this helps. They moved up the kickoff to reduce returns, now they're making rules to increase them.

Yes.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

The only thing you can count on with NFL rule making is that they never admit they made a mistake by just changing a rule back...

And that's the correct solution. Kill the rule they put in place to reduce kickoff returns.

They want them back?

Then take a frickin' step back...

and reverse the prior (unnecessary) rule.

Edited by 1984Echoes