Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Okay, I went to this website that graded all the teams' offseasons.   Lions got an A- and nobody got an A or A+.    They had a rank lower than F.    They called it   MILLEN.       We lived through 8 years of that.   So bad that his name is a description for ineptitude.    Green Bay's offseason got a MILLEN. 

Dear heavens... I want to see that website!

Somewhat in GB's defense... they can't do a whole lot until the Rodgers situation gets resolved. And right now I think the Jets have the better hand. They can probably deal with not having Rodgers better than GB can in having Rodgers.

Jets have other options at QB so they could still field a team. They could explain the situation to the fans a bit with: "We tried to trade for Rodgers... we gave a fair offer for an aging QB... but they won't negotiate with us in good faith."

Compare that with GB who'll argue: "They didn't give us what we thought we should get so... now we're stuck with a QB who doesn't want to play for us that we're paying a huge amount of money to and who's value is dropping every week of the season."

So GB's in a bad situation right now.

The once great Dan Snyder humiliated and forced to sell his team in shame and all has to show for it is $6 Billion and record for largest US franchise sale.   Not bad for a team he bought with $800m of borrowed money.

Pro sports leagues really knows how to dish out a tough punishment.   Sterling, Sarver, McCourt, and now Snyder.   

59 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The once great Dan Snyder humiliated and forced to sell his team in shame and all has to show for it is $6 Billion and record for largest US franchise sale.   Not bad for a team he bought with $800m of borrowed money.

Pro sports leagues really knows how to dish out a tough punishment.   Sterling, Sarver, McCourt, and now Snyder.   

And what do you propose that the leagues should do?

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

I think the biggest complaint, at least early in the game, the turf was slick. Since the Lions were not the home team I wonder if they did not pack their ice shoes

They didn't, they admitted they didn't bring the right footwear cause they underestimated what the temp was gonna be and what the field was gonna be like. 

That's why when people say things like "they play on the same field" it isn't exactly fair cause the home team has all the equipment they need right there where as the road team is limited to the amount of stuff they bring. 

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

They didn't, they admitted they didn't bring the right footwear cause they underestimated what the temp was gonna be and what the field was gonna be like. 

That's why when people say things like "they play on the same field" it isn't exactly fair cause the home team has all the equipment they need right there where as the road team is limited to the amount of stuff they bring. 

And it's hard to find a ****'s Sporting Goods store that stocks 60 pair of shoes on a Sunday morning in Charlotte. Especially Christmas eve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

what is the limitation on the stuff they can bring?  are they only allowed to bring so much?

1 minute ago, buddha said:

what is the limitation on the stuff they can bring?  are they only allowed to bring so much?

I'm assuming whatever can fit on the plane. I'm assuming since it was Charlotte and if they checked the forecast they didn't think special shoes would be needed

25 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'm assuming whatever can fit on the plane. I'm assuming since it was Charlotte and if they checked the forecast they didn't think special shoes would be needed

that's on the league if the field was too dangerous to play on.  its on the lions for not being prepared if the game was going to be played.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, buddha said:

I don't think there is like a rule or anything its just a matter of not wanting to haul that much payload. I watched videos on YT from behind the scenes of various equipment managers and what it takes to get ready for a road game and there's a lot more work than one would even think about. During it they mention that they check the forecasts beforehand and bring the stuff they feel they are going to need for that and nothing more. They also mention the difficulties of finding the right spikes and trying to guess what the field is going to play like that day to make sure you bring the right ones. 

I'm wanting to say it was the Giants or Jets that I was watching and they were traveling to KC where they hadn't played in a while and the manager brought up how not being recently familiar with the field was going to be a challenge for them in terms of bringing the right footwear. Considering the Lions only play in Carolina every so often and when you do its rarely cold like it was had to be a major problem. Also the fact that it is the one outlying game of the last couple months makes me think that even more. 

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

that's on the league if the field was too dangerous to play on.  its on the lions for not being prepared if the game was going to be played.

No argument there. I checked the WX for that weekend...it was in the 40s 12/23 and 25,  Game time temp was 19. It did warm up a bit after the game started but I remember reading about concerns about the field conditions during warmups. 

The story did say field conditions were acceptable later in the game The Lions could not stop the run and didn't run that much that game. I'm not sure it would have made much a difference

On the topic of Field Turf, that stuff is extremely dangerous if it has years of wear on it. I don't know how often NFL teams change it but at my School District I work at  we got field turf installed in 2014, we were told we'd have to replace it in 10 years it hasn't even hit that and we are already in the process of replacing before the upcoming football season because of how beat up it is. You might as well be playing on concrete at this point. 

31 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

On the topic of Field Turf, that stuff is extremely dangerous if it has years of wear on it. I don't know how often NFL teams change it but at my School District I work at  we got field turf installed in 2014, we were told we'd have to replace it in 10 years it hasn't even hit that and we are already in the process of replacing before the upcoming football season because of how beat up it is. You might as well be playing on concrete at this point. 

that's interesting to hear. I knew that managements didn't like it because it's not very repaintable, but hadn't heard much as about its wear properties. I wonder if all that prill is recyclable?

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

that's interesting to hear. I knew that managements didn't like it because it's not very repaintable, but hadn't heard much as about its wear properties. I wonder if all that prill is recyclable?

Yeah we rent our main field out to other schools so it gets used quite a bit during football season and we also use it for soccer so when we were told 10 years I'm not sure if they factored that in. If you go to the practice field which doesn't get the same amount of use it's like night and day despite being installed the same time. I know our maintenance department takes care of it the best they can but they have so many other jobs besides maintaining the field so I'm sure it doesn't get the same attention to detail that an NFL team does. But all I can say if an NFL field is anywhere close to how ours looks and feels right now I can understand the players not liking it. 

Edited by RandyMarsh