Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

I never got why it was ok for players to play fantasy football. Like I heard commentators say during the game stuff like "I talked to player x during the game and he has player y(on the opposing team) on his fantasy team"

Like even if it's a free league it still feels like a conflict of interest since competitive people will take even free leagues seriously. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 9:36 AM, RandyMarsh said:

I never got why it was ok for players to play fantasy football. Like I heard commentators say during the game stuff like "I talked to player x during the game and he has player y(on the opposing team) on his fantasy team"

Like even if it's a free league it still feels like a conflict of interest since competitive people will take even free leagues seriously. 

Cause there really isn't a plausable way (only way to think of is to play poorly because your playing yourself in fantasy and have a huge bet you'd loss to your friend on a given week...and even that's not guarenteed) to have an impact in fantasy same way as through gambling straight up

On 6/28/2023 at 1:25 PM, KL2 said:

Cause there really isn't a plausable way (only way to think of is to play poorly because your playing yourself in fantasy and have a huge bet you'd loss to your friend on a given week...and even that's not guarenteed) to have an impact in fantasy same way as through gambling straight up

Oh I know that it can't have the same impact as gambling but theoretically it still could effect the game. Like if your a defender and you have a certain player on the opposition instead of tackling him on the 1 do you just let him score for the TD? I don't necessarily think any player would do that but still I think just the thought compromises the integrity of the game. 

• 3 weeks later...

I can't fault Hopkins. If a team offers a player stupid money, a player would be stupid to pass it up, especially so in the NFL were contracts aren't guaranteed. Know, perhaps you could argue that Hopkins would be better off signing for less on a better team that has a good chance of getting him a ring, but that assumes that 1.) A better team offered him a reasonable contract and 2.) that he cares more about the ring vs. money at this point in his career.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I’ll take gambling on non-NFL games from a hotel over this reckless behavior 10/10 times.

Yeah, I would too. And before anyone complains that the NFL "allows" this while suspending legal gambling, it's totally different situation.

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah, I would too. And before anyone complains that the NFL "allows" this while suspending legal gambling, it's totally different situation.

I don’t think the NFL “allows” this per se, but I do think they will react less harshly.

After what happened with Ruggs, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Addison get a game or two suspension based off the personal conduct policy.

With the number of massive injuries and massive injury scares that have happened in less than a week, you have to wonder if teams will start adjusting their training camps. If you have to go quarter speed this first week, leading to half speed, leading to simulated games, leading to full on practices, that's what you need to do. You can't risk losing guys for long periods.

7 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

With the number of massive injuries and massive injury scares that have happened in less than a week, you have to wonder if teams will start adjusting their training camps. If you have to go quarter speed this first week, leading to half speed, leading to simulated games, leading to full on practices, that's what you need to do. You can't risk losing guys for long periods.

They way his teammates didn't react makes me wonder if that's the way they keep him off the field in the preseason and nobody can complain about it. 

33 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They way his teammates didn't react makes me wonder if that's the way they keep him off the field in the preseason and nobody can complain about it. 

Maybe. If they wanted to keep him off the field though, they could. I mean, nothing says Burrow has to participate in X number of preseason or training camp snaps. It’s not unprecedented for coaches to not play their starting QB through the entire preseason. Campbell has come close, I think Goff only played like one series last preseason.

So the Commanders can't copyright their name because someone else in sports uses Commanders for something else?   

How many teams out there are named Tigers or Eagles?    

Plus some guy copyrighted hundred of potential names that the team could change to when they had no name, so that's hanging things up too?   He has no use for the name, he's just copyrighting them to try to hamstring someone.   How does that hold up in court?    You can't do something like that out of spite.  If you're not actually using it for anything legit, how could that hold up?   I hate the name Commanders, but apparently every possible name they can change to has had a copyright filed by someone.   This is so stupid.     Who had Tigers first, our baseball team or Clemson?  If it's us, we should sue Clemson, right?    Come on man.      Just name it whatever you want and site the Tigers or Eagles as examples.   Or name the team The Washington RedHawks of the NFL and just call 'em Red Hawks for short.     I liked Red Tails as a nod to the Tuskegee Airmen.  But they won't have Jason Aldean sing the anthem at a Red Tails game, he'll lose all his racist fans. 

My local minor league baseball team used to be the Fort Wayne Wizards. Once the Washington Bullets changed their name to the Wizards they pulled our Name and logo. We are now the Fort Wayne Tincaps since Johny Apple seed is from here. It's fine and accepted now but there was a bit of an uproar at the time.

image.jpeg.af3cafb2ea7871e3dec079536c2fa326.jpeg