Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

22 minutes ago, buddha said:

dalvin cook is finished.  if he wants to go to bears, all power to him.

I dunno if I'd say he's finished, but he's certainly tending downward. He peaked at 5.0 ypa in rushing in 2020, went down to 4.7 in 2021 and last year was 4.4. I would prefer his not go to the Bears because I think he can still be dangerous, just perhaps not as dangerous as a few years ago.

35 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I guess Jaguars ownership is now playing the "give us this or else" game and it has "leaked" they are considering a move to Daytona.  Just as the team is getting good.   Coincidence?   I think not.  

Jacksonville is not a great city to host an NFL team. Probably 32/32. Not that Daytona would be any better.

59 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Jacksonville is not a great city to host an NFL team. Probably 32/32. Not that Daytona would be any better.

Yeah, Daytona seems like a weird place to move too... Seems a bit like the Lions threatening to leave Detroit in favor of Lansing.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah, Daytona seems like a weird place to move too... Seems a bit like the Lions threatening to leave Detroit in favor of Lansing.

A return to St. Louis would make more sense... Relocation to London is probably most realistic, even though it would be nearly universally hated.

Daytona is so touristy that it would be almost trying to replicate the Vegas move. But Daytona is no Vegas.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I guess Jaguars ownership is now playing the "give us this or else" game and it has "leaked" they are considering a move to Daytona.  Just as the team is getting good.   Coincidence?   I think not.  

where did you hear this?

My understanding is the Jaguars are looking at upgrades to their stadium in Jacksonville and working on where they will play for when this occurs.   The options are the Swamp in Gainesville and Daytona Speedway.

As far as I know they are not looking to leave Jacksonville, unless, it's London.

31 minutes ago, SkyBlue said:

My understanding is the Jaguars are looking at upgrades to their stadium in Jacksonville and working on where they will play for when this occurs.   The options are the Swamp in Gainesville and Daytona Speedway.

As far as I know they are not looking to leave Jacksonville, unless, it's London.

that sounds a lot more credible than mcs's usual overreaction sports radio take.  😉

7 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

A return to St. Louis would make more sense... Relocation to London is probably most realistic, even though it would be nearly universally hated.

Daytona is so touristy that it would be almost trying to replicate the Vegas move. But Daytona is no Vegas.

Why keep going back to cities that couldn’t support a team the first time around?

2 hours ago, sagnam said:

Why keep going back to cities that couldn’t support a team the first time around?

It’s a huge stretch to say that STL couldn’t support the Rams. They supported them far better than LA supports either the Rams or the Chargers.

St. Louis just got shafted by being on the wrong end of an ownership’s greed.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

st louis is a dying city in a dying part of the country.  they'd put another team in texas or florida before st louis.

they'd put a team in london or mexico city before that.

So is Kansas City but no one seems as gung ho about relocating them now that there are two (alleged) money makers in LA. I agree there is a snowball’s chance in hell they move a team back to STL anytime soon. My only point is that they deserve a team more than friggin’ Daytona. 

28 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

So is Kansas City but no one seems as gung ho about relocating them now that there are two (alleged) money makers in LA. I agree there is a snowball’s chance in hell they move a team back to STL anytime soon. My only point is that they deserve a team more than friggin’ Daytona. 

those two teams in LA that dont sell out make more money than the st louis rams did.

now that vegas has a team, i dont know how many more cities could support an nfl team.  austin, san antonio, orlando, st louis, portland.  chicago could probably support a second team.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

st louis is a dying city in a dying part of the country.  they'd put another team in ... florida before st louis.

OTOH, it won't be underwater by the time the mortgage is paid on the the stadium

🤷‍♂️

Edited by gehringer_2

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

OTOH, it won't be underwater by the time the mortgage is paid on the the stadium

🤷‍♂️

neither will orlando.  but florida doesnt have the largest fault line in the country running right through the middle of it like st louis does...

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

thought you were talking Daytona? Now that you meniton it I haven't seen anything about New Madrid in awhile. I do remember some number of years ago the concern about it got pretty high.

and none of the buildings in st louis are built to withstand an earthquake.  its a disaster waiting to happen.

Both LA teams

9 hours ago, buddha said:

those two teams in LA that dont sell out make more money than the st louis rams did.

now that vegas has a team, i dont know how many more cities could support an nfl team.  austin, san antonio, orlando, st louis, portland.  chicago could probably support a second team.

Both LA teams sell out every game.   Granted many of these are to opposing fans but the stadium is still filled every week.  

13 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

You are allowed to bet on any sports games, but only your not at any NFL facility or in hotel that's being paid for by the team, even if you're not attending any meetings or NFL/team related events... also team planes and buses are probably off limits. Oh, and you can never bet on NFL games, even if you're "off campus." Well, except when create special exceptions to those rules, then you can bet on NFL games. But only if you're not playing in the game.

Look, I'm not trying to argue that Jaymo shouldn't be punished for breaking the rules. Ignorance of the rules isn't an excuse. But my goodness... the NFL is totally trying to have it's cake and eat it too. They are slicing and dicing the rules to make it look like they are taking a hard line on gambling while also giving the players freedom to gamble away and it makes a confusing mess.

Now, logically I can parse this all out and it sorta/kinda/maybe makes sense. They don't want to make it look like players are playing hard or slacking to try and win or throw a game to satisfy their bets. I totally get that. I also get that the Pro-Bowl isn't really a "game" so, who cares? Let 'em bet.

Here's what I don't get: If it's okay to bet on non-NFL games, why isn't it okay to bet on NFL games that the player isn't playing in? The obvious answer is that you don't want a player colluding with with a player from another team to bet on each other's games. That makes sense... so why can an NFL player bet on a MLB game? Couldn't an NFL player collude with a MLB player?

And why is it okay for a player to bet only when he's "off campus?" If a player is sitting in the hotel restaurant the night before a road game and wants to bet on a NBA game, are you really saying that it's bad optics for the NFL if the player does that in the hotel restaurant, but it's no problem if he leaves the hotel, walks across the street, places the bet, then goes back into the hotel to finish dinner?