Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

10 hours ago, casimir said:

So let me see if I get this straight.  MLB has its Southern California teams (both Los Angeles teams and San Diego) move Sunday’s games up to Saturday due to Hilary slamming into the region.  The NFL decides to keep its preseason Chargers game on Sunday night in Los Angeles as scheduled.  Am I getting the right?

Did MLB move them because of concerns of danger or the (pretty much) 100% chance of rain out?

4 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Did MLB move them because of concerns of danger or the (pretty much) 100% chance of rain out?

Good question, not sure.  But its an area that was forecast to have multiple inches of rain that isn't used to it at all.  It was borderline hurricane, right?  And we know how predictable paths and intensities of those things can be.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Good question, not sure.  But its an area that was forecast to have multiple inches of rain that isn't used to it at all.  It was borderline hurricane, right?  And we know how predictable paths and intensities of those things can be.

It was a Hurricane, then downgraded to tropical storm before it made landfall, then was downgraded to a "subtropical cyclone" early Monday, so it was decreasing in strength. That said, you're right that it's an area that doesn't normally deal with this and I see reports that schools are closed today in LA.

FWIW, I suspect it's far easier to move an MLB game than an NFL game. MLB team (and everything associated with them... media, stadium employees, opposing teams, etc.) are used to performing 6-7 days a week. It would be harder to move all the employees from Sunday to Saturday I would think for an NFL event. Given also that the stadium is indoor I can see the NFL being reluctant to move barring a serious disaster level event. So, the question is: Was it a serious disaster level event?

I also think that preseason games have really just become (relatively small) money grabs for the teams and league. Teams for the most part are are using joint practices for the real evaluation and preseason games are things you just have to do. The Packers and Patriots cancelled about 11 minutes of their game the other day because of an injury.

I would expect the NFL to go to two preseason games and 18 regular season games in the next CBA, if not even one preseason game and 18 regular season.

As it relates to this game in LA though, I imagine the cost of moving a preseason game wasn’t worth it compared to the risk of keeping it as scheduled or even ultimately cancelling it if necessary.

12 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Trey Lance to the Cowboys too. I wouldn’t be happy about that as a Cowboys fan. Unnecessary drama when you’re supposed to be a top five team in the NFC. I’m impressed the 9ers got a 4th round pick for someone they publicly admitted was their QB3.

Of course unnecessary drama is the Jerry Jones way.

what's the drama?

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Dak is entering a contract year. Expending relatively significant resources to bring in a former #3 overall pick without any NFL starting experience is going to get in Dak’s ear and is going to cause a stir in the fanbase.

Just to add, I’m not saying this is going to derail the Cowboys season or anything. I just don’t think it’s a move that makes a lot of sense or inspires a lot of confidence in your starting QB two weeks before opening day.

12 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Dak is entering a contract year. Expending relatively significant resources to bring in a former #3 overall pick without any NFL starting experience is going to get in Dak’s ear and is going to cause a stir in the fanbase.

i dont think any of that matters.  cowboys got talent for a middling resource.  good tradr for them, imo.

btw, reports now are that the lions were interested as well.

im not interested in giving up assets for another running back.  we paid montgomery and spent a top 15 pick on gibbs.  not giving up more draft capital for another running back.

they have a lot of room for improvement at wide receiver and defensive tackle and oline depth, the last thing they need to do is spend more on ANOTHER running back.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If Dak can't handle that, then maybe he's not a guy you pay $45-$50 million on.  

Jerry wants this to turn dramatic. That will mean that Lance has done something to demonstrate his potential. 

But what a bust for San Fran. Should be more embarrassing for them than it is but they lucked out by having Mr. Irrelevant turn out to be Mr. Competent. What might all those first round picks have done to get SF over the hump?

Edited by Jason_R
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Jerry wants this to turn dramatic. That will mean that Lance has done something to demonstrate his potential. 

But what a bust for San Fran. Should be more embarrassing for them than it is but they lucked out by having Mr. Irrelevant turn out to be Mr. Competent. What might all those first round picks have done to get SF over the hump?

Maybe with Dak's injury history they wanted a similar type of backup.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, buddha said:

im not interested in giving up assets for another running back.  we paid montgomery and spent a top 15 pick on gibbs.  not giving up more draft capital for another running back.

they have a lot of room for improvement at wide receiver and defensive tackle and oline depth, the last thing they need to do is spend more on ANOTHER running back.

I would be perfectly fine with trading draft picks and David Montgomery for Taylor.

But yeah, you're right... I also don't want ANOTHER RB...

But IMO, Taylor is a massive upgrade to Montgomery, 24, and... yeah, I forgot to mention that Montgomery (to me) is a must-trade part of any deal for Taylor. I probably should have mentioned that in my previous post.

I think Taylor = more playoff wins. 

I most definitely want Taylor over Montgomery.

It will probably get forgotten about since the 49ers are a successful team but trading up for Lance was an all time horrible trade. To move up from 12 overall the Niners gave up that pick, a 22 1st, 22 3rd and a 23 first. If the Niners didn't make that trade and stayed put they could've gotten a guy like Micah Parsons, Rashawn Slater or if they were hell bent on a QB Mac Jones who I thought then and still do think would've excelled under Shanahan. Not to mention what they could've done with their 22 and 23 firsts along with that 22 3rd. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

It will probably get forgotten about since the 49ers are a successful team but trading up for Lance was an all time horrible trade. To move up from 12 overall the Niners gave up that pick, a 22 1st, 22 3rd and a 23 first. If the Niners didn't make that trade and stayed put they could've gotten a guy like Micah Parsons, Rashawn Slater or if they were hell bent on a QB Mac Jones who I thought then and still do think would've excelled under Shanahan. Not to mention what they could've done with their 22 and 23 firsts along with that 22 3rd. 

And ironically, they missed their shot at a Super Bowl because they played half the NFC Title game without a functioning QB.    

But the fact that Mr. Irrelevant upended the prized #3 overall pick is pretty amazing.   You just never know.    I will be there in Canton when Adrian Martinez is inducted.