Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 hour ago, buddha said:

why would atlanta trade for deshaum watson and then spend a draft pick on ridder?  that makes zero sense.

Because they can get Ridder in the 3rd round.    Watson could get hurt and he could get in trouble again.  

Why would Washington draft RGII and then draft Kirk Cousins 3 rounds later?   Turned out to be brilliant.  

12 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Because they can get Ridder in the 3rd round.    Watson could get hurt and he could get in trouble again.  

Why would Washington draft RGII and then draft Kirk Cousins 3 rounds later?   Turned out to be brilliant.  

i guarantee you that wont happen.

29 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

We're a pathetic franchise. The Browns get Watson, probably win a Super Bowl, and now we get to be lowly all by ourselves. I'm probably wrong but hopefully Holmes makes us less pathetic.

the browns were already a more successful franchise than the lions.

because everyone else is.

26 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Browns traded away 3 1st round picks and locked in a guy to a $230 million fully guaranteed contract who missed an entire seasons and has someone questionable off the field behavior. 

One would assume they will get at least 1 first rounder back for Baker.  If they can get Washington and Indy into a bidding near they may even get 2.   

I have to give the Browns credit for making a big move for an elite QB when they had a decent one.    It’s a ballsy move that the Lions franchise never would’ve or will ever do. 

Then again there’s a very fine line between balls and stupidity.   May end up to be dumb as hell.  

I think Watson misses half the season on suspension and that is a lot of idle time to get into more trouble.   He'll get into more trouble.   The reason is that he pretty much got away with horrible behavior, and he probably thinks he's invincible.  He's a predator and predators don't stop on their own, they may go quiet for awhile, but he'll go back to his ways.   

Wonder how those Cleveland fans who chanted "Rape-lis-ber-ger (Clap Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap)" will embrace Watson. They will love him.   We love our football, but it is a cesspool or just horrible people and horrible fans.   Ray Rice got a standing ovation at Ravens practice AFTER the video of him knocking out his girlfriend came out.   That says it all.   

I don't know where Baker ends up.   Dude played through beatings for Cleveland.  I don't think he's that talented, but he's tough as hell.   Could be Houston, close to home.   Maybe Seattle.  Maybe Atlanta, who seem to be shopping Matt Ryan or maybe Indy, who doesn't seem to want him.   New Orleans is in play too.   I think Baker goes to a team that drafts a young QB as a Goff-like band-aid.    I don't think Cleveland gets a first round pick for him.   They are not in a position of leverage here.  They HAVE to get rid of him.   I expect him to have a Marcus Mariota-like career.  Still good, but not really a starter on a good team.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wonder how those Cleveland fans who chanted "Rape-lis-ber-ger (Clap Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap)" will embrace Watson. They will love him.   We love our football, but it is a cesspool or just horrible people and horrible fans.   Ray Rice got a standing ovation at Ravens practice AFTER the video of him knocking out his girlfriend came out.   That says it all.

In fairness, I don’t think any fan base is exempt from this. If the Lions had gone and picked up Watson, the fan base would have rallied around him (as long as he was winning and performing well). Certain fans would have had moral objections to the addition, but they would have been a quiet minority, so long as he was winning. The majority would have eaten up the storyline pushed by Watson and his agent, that these were consensual encounters and that these massage therapists were just out for a pay day (otherwise he would have been indicted!). Despite knowledge that that’s not how this works.

Locally, we saw this with Adrian Peterson. He pretty brutally abused his very young son with a switch, and to this day has not even admitted that what he did was wrong. He even went so far as to admit in the years after he was charged with felony child abuse (and pled to a lesser charge) that he still uses a belt to physically discipline his child. Yet when the Lions added him, few had a problem with him doing well on our team’s dime. Some even went as far as to use the excuses pushed by AP and his people, that this was just cultural and how AP himself had grown up.

Balancing wanting your team to do well and being morally opposed to individuals on that team isn’t easy, and can certainly lead to back-bending hypocritical beliefs and actions.

11 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

In fairness, I don’t think any fan base is exempt from this. If the Lions had gone and picked up Watson, the fan base would have rallied around him (as long as he was winning and performing well). Certain fans would have had moral objections to the addition, but they would have been a quiet minority, so long as he was winning. The majority would have eaten up the storyline pushed by Watson and his agent, that these were consensual encounters and that these massage therapists were just out for a pay day (otherwise he would have been indicted!). Despite knowledge that that’s not how this works.

Locally, we saw this with Adrian Peterson. He pretty brutally abused his very young son with a switch, and to this day has not even admitted that what he did was wrong. He even went so far as to admit in the years after he was charged with felony child abuse (and pled to a lesser charge) that he still uses a belt to physically discipline his child. Yet when the Lions added him, few had a problem with him doing well on our team’s dime. Some even went as far as to use the excuses pushed by AP and his people, that this was just cultural and how AP himself had grown up.

Balancing wanting your team to do well and being morally opposed to individuals on that team isn’t easy, and can certainly lead to back-bending hypocritical beliefs and actions.

I'm not saying we'd be any better here. 

The game is violent

The players are rewarded and praised for their violence (from the time they are about 14 years old)

Layers upon layers of protection so they can play (Adrian Hernandez, anyone?) They feel untouchable because they often are, until they get caught, and even then it takes a major outcry.  Ray Rice got 2 games initially.  Guys that smoke weed at that time would get 4 or 8 games.  

The rhetoric is violent

The highlights are often violent 

And now the fans have become violent, plenty of videos out there. 

I wouldn't take a child to an NFL game now.  No way.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

how is that "not how this works"?

39 minutes ago, buddha said:

how is that "not how this works"?

Just because a grand jury doesn't indict someone doesn’t mean that their actions are morally acceptable.

Things the everyday American would go to prison for can be swept away with piles of money by the NFL quarterback. It doesn’t mean the latter’s actions are any better or worse than the former’s.

7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Just because a grand jury doesn't indict someone doesn’t mean that their actions are morally acceptable.

Things the everyday American would go to prison for can be swept away with piles of money by the NFL quarterback. It doesn’t mean the latter’s actions are any better or worse than the former’s.

no normal american goes to prison for having sex with prostitutes (maybe a day?).  you get probation and socially humiliated.

as you know, the grand jury is the prosecutor's best case.  there is no defense there.  and they still couldnt get the most basic of charges against him.  obviously, whatever they presented didnt work 

in my uneducated opinion, i think most people werent convinced these "massage therapists" didnt know exectly what they were getting into, and that this is largely a profit driven exercise by a politically ambitious plaintiff's lawyer who ran for governor last time out, and a bunch of women who are piling on hoping to get a nice settlement check.

i could be wrong.  but i find the idea of watson as a "serial rapist" to be far fetched.  i think he's a dude who likes the no attachment sex that comes from prostitutes.  however, i recognize i could be very wrong.

but im not one to jump aboard the "wont someone please think of the children!!!!!!" morality play easily.

23 minutes ago, buddha said:

no normal american goes to prison for having sex with prostitutes (maybe a day?).  you get probation and socially humiliated.

as you know, the grand jury is the prosecutor's best case.  there is no defense there.  and they still couldnt get the most basic of charges against him.  obviously, whatever they presented didnt work 

in my uneducated opinion, i think most people werent convinced these "massage therapists" didnt know exectly what they were getting into, and that this is largely a profit driven exercise by a politically ambitious plaintiff's lawyer who ran for governor last time out, and a bunch of women who are piling on hoping to get a nice settlement check.

i could be wrong.  but i find the idea of watson as a "serial rapist" to be far fetched.  i think he's a dude who likes the no attachment sex that comes from prostitutes.  however, i recognize i could be very wrong.

but im not one to jump aboard the "wont someone please think of the children!!!!!!" morality play easily.

It was reported that he was accused by two of the women of forcing them to give him oral sex. Without knowing Texas law, that would be a form of Criminal Sexual Conduct, which certainly could result in jail or prison time, depending on the circumstances. 

I don’t think he’s a serial rapist. I do think that he’s not been told no often in his adult lifetime, and may not taken resistance appropriately when he was getting a massage. Maybe not 22 times, but I do believe that some of those encounters were not with two totally willing partners.