Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

Has achilles injuries always been this common? I swear it seems like they have been happening so much more across all sports the past 5 or so years but that may just be me. If they really have though any theories on why? Are guys pushing themselves too hard with their workouts?

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Has achilles injuries always been this common? I swear it seems like they have been happening so much more across all sports the past 5 or so years but that may just be me. If they really have though any theories on why? Are guys pushing themselves too hard with their workouts?

PED systems that are beating the tests?

Our old MTS poster Michael Schottey has a really good piece with interviews from executives about the draft. 

https://www.the33rdteam.com/former-nfl-decision-makers-on-the-final-hours-before-the-nfl-draft/

Key items: Tom Lewand reports that the Lions kicked JaMarcus Russell out of their building on his pre-draft visit for being disinterested and disrespectful. In retrospect, not a surprise. 

Then Millen picked up the phone and dialed Al Davis to tell him not to pick Russell #1 because he would ruin the franchise. Lewand was stunned and afraid the Raiders would then pick Calvin. Oh Matt Millen….

On 4/21/2022 at 2:13 PM, buddha said:

one car swerved and barely missed him and the other truck plowed into him.  nobody got a ticket.

again, he is walking across a freeway.  he is committing suicide or really effed up.

the denouement to this story. No surprise, sadly:

According to the toxicology report, two separate samples taken from Haskins' body had alcohol levels of .20 and .24, both of which are above the legal limit in Florida of .08. According to the report, Haskins also tested positive for ketamine and norketamine, drugs that are used by medical professionals as anesthetics but that also have been known to be used recreationally.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33971836/dwayne-haskins-was-legally-drunk-death-according-toxicology-report

25 minutes ago, buddha said:

shocker.

It does add some potential sense to it though. He's got a dead car on the freeway and he's drunk on his rear. He can't stay with the car because odds are a cop gets there first and he gets nailed on the DUI - the law, the NFL all down on his asz. So he sees his best chance as either getting back to the car with fuel himself or having the cops get there when he's not there, in which case he just stays 'lost' until he's sober. He's probably got just enough wits to realize his legal risk of staying with the car but not enough to function once he takes the decision to leave it.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 5/17/2022 at 10:08 PM, Jason_R said:

Our old MTS poster Michael Schottey has a really good piece with interviews from executives about the draft. 

https://www.the33rdteam.com/former-nfl-decision-makers-on-the-final-hours-before-the-nfl-draft/

Key items: Tom Lewand reports that the Lions kicked JaMarcus Russell out of their building on his pre-draft visit for being disinterested and disrespectful. In retrospect, not a surprise. 

Then Millen picked up the phone and dialed Al Davis to tell him not to pick Russell #1 because he would ruin the franchise. Lewand was stunned and afraid the Raiders would then pick Calvin. Oh Matt Millen….

No Matt Millen is a GENIUS.............He knew that the Raiders knew he was an idiot and would do the opposite of what he said.   You just have to look at this from time and distance. 

It's like the song Ironic by Alanis Morissette.  Nothing she sings in the song is actually ironic.  What's ironic about rain on a wedding day or dying the day after you win the lottery.  No irony there.................and then, just recently it it me, there is no irony in a song called Ironic and there for THAT is Ironic.   Alanis is a genius.  She played us all. 

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It does add some potential sense to it though. He's got a dead car on the freeway and he's drunk on his rear. He can't stay with the car because odds are a cop gets there first and he gets nailed on the DUI - the law, the NFL all down on his asz. So he sees his best chance as either getting back to the car with fuel himself or having the cops get there when he's not there, in which case he just stays 'lost' until he's sober. He's probably got just enough wits to realize his legal risk of staying with the car but not enough to function once he takes the decision to leave it.

g2, he's drunk and high as a kite.  there's a good chance he had no clue what he was doing.  you make it sound like this was some rational decision.

21 minutes ago, buddha said:

g2, he's drunk and high as a kite.  there's a good chance he had no clue what he was doing.  you make it sound like this was some rational decision.

rational wouldn't be the right word, but even when people are smashed they still have a certain level of animal awareness, and I would think especially wrt cops. I've more than once dealt with people who could barely stand-up but were determined to keep trying to do something they were incapable of doing because they had some fear in their head about the need to do it. It's exactly the same thing as when you can't get a drunk's car keys from him - he's determined he "has" to get to somewhere for some reason. Drunkeness in many people creates a paradoxical mix of high motivation and low capacity - probably why it also leads to so much senseless violence. His impairment was not so high he that he crashed his car or was unable to master his cell phone to make calls.

Edited by gehringer_2

30 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

rational wouldn't be the right word, but even when people are smashed they still have a certain level of animal awareness, and I would think especially wrt cops. I've more than once dealt with people who could barely stand-up but were determined to keep trying to do something they were incapable of doing because they had some fear in their head about the need to do it. It's exactly the same thing as when you can't get a drunk's car keys from him - he's determined he "has" to get to somewhere for some reason. Drunkeness in many people creates a paradoxical mix of high motivation and low capacity - probably why it also leads to so much senseless violence. His impairment was not so high he that he crashed his car or was unable to master his cell phone to make calls.

i think its 50/50 he ever made a call, or was coherent when he did.

regardless, sad story for a guy who let his demons ruin his life.

• 2 weeks later...

At the time of his contract it was said to be fully guaranteed by the Browns. My hope is that there were atleast some provisions about it being guaranteed if he was found guilty or if other off the field stuff came out.

While I hate the Browns and normally wouldn't mind them being forced to pay 230 million to somebody that can't help them win I hate what Watson has been accused of even more and even if only a fraction of it is true I don't want to see a scumbag like that walk away with 230 million dollars.