Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

32 minutes ago, buddha said:

what's the other option?  mayfield?  draft a qb in a bad class?  carr is a decent qb and is the best option available to them.

I think their better option was to not try and engage in the current arms race occurring in their division and to launch a rebuild. I don’t think Carr is ever going to win them a Super Bowl. He might not actively lose them games, but he’s not good enough to carry the team to postseason success.

Sell assets and go for one of Stroud/Young next year, or kick the Carr can down the line on a one or two year deal if you can’t get them. Not at $40MM a year though. At that point, sure, take Mayfield or any other filler.

7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think their better option was to not try and engage in the current arms race occurring in their division and to launch a rebuild. I don’t think Carr is ever going to win them a Super Bowl. He might not actively lose them games, but he’s not good enough to carry the team to postseason success.

Sell assets and go for one of Stroud/Young next year, or kick the Carr can down the line on a one or two year deal if you can’t get them. Not at $40MM a year though. At that point, sure, take Mayfield or any other filler.

they just traded for davante adams.  giving up and tanking was not an option.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

they just traded for davante adams.  giving up and tanking was not an option.

I think they should have "given up and tanked" before acquiring Adams. I agree they can't really change their minds afterwards, but I think extending Carr like this is just prolonging the amount of time they'll spend in NFL purgutory,

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33773946/dwayne-haskins-told-wife-was-walking-get-gas-prior-being-struck-killed-dump-truck-911-audio-reveals

According to his wife, Haskins called her to tell her he was getting out of his car to get gas, when she didn't hear back from him she called 911. 

so he walked across a major freeway and got hit by TWO cars?  he was either committing suicide or he was high as a kite or drunk as a skunk.

9 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Neither he nor his wife thought to call AAA? Shame. 

In these days of distracted drivers, I am calling AAA every single time I break down on a freeway.........no matter what.   People driving 70 or 80 and not looking up for long stretches.   People just don't care about anyone else anymore, it's only about what they need right this minute.  

Not like the good ole days when people read books or did crosswords while driving in vehicles with no active safety features to warn of danger.

I wonder if you mow your yard.  Remember that one time a player got killed? Those were safer times.

Edited by sagnam

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

In these days of distracted drivers, I am calling AAA every single time I break down on a freeway.........no matter what.   People driving 70 or 80 and not looking up for long stretches.   People just don't care about anyone else anymore, it's only about what they need right this minute.  

And it was so early in the morning. This poor truck driver probably had no chance to see him let alone avoid him. He will have that image flash through his mind for the rest of his life. 

Seriously, if you break down on a busy road, you are almost certainly safest in your car, belted in. Call AAA, call highway patrol, call 911, but don’t get out of your car until you have someone there to assist you. 

Coach Hot Seat Rankings - Preseason Edition

1 - Matt Rhule, Carolina - Kind of surprised he made it to this year.  

2 - Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona - Can't collapse in the 2nd half again

3 - Mike McCarthy, Dallas -  He really has to start out hot, Jerry might want to test drive Kellen Moore

4 - Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland - Getting leapfrogged by Cincinnati really hurt him.  

5 - Robert Saleah, NY Jets - Hate to do this to the guy, but there aren't a lot of hot seats right now with so many new coaches.  Pressure's on in NY.  If he can't win more than 5, he'll be out.  Could be the Lions next DC when Aaron Glenn gets a Head Coaching gig.

I don't think Pete Carroll or Andy Reid will coach after this year, but both will retire, not get fired. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Brady signed a 10 year 375 million dollar deal with Fox to call games once he retires. Just insane! Of course at the rate he is going that may be 20 years from now so the money may not seem as crazy. 

Not a bad retirement plan.

I'm jealous...

Why?

8 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Brady signed a 10 year 375 million dollar deal with Fox to call games once he retires. Just insane! Of course at the rate he is going that may be 20 years from now so the money may not seem as crazy. 

Why are they paying him this much to broadcast a game that people were going to watch anyway.