Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

i'm in the lawsuit business.  i'm pretty jaded and cynical.  its always interesting to me to see the reaction of people to lawsuits and who they choose to believe (and how much money they give people).

this has nothing to do with the truth or justice or what actually happened.  that's what the criminal case was for (the ones where not even a grand jury would bring charges).  this is about money and publicity for tony buzzbee.

14 hours ago, Hongbit said:

The only way that would happen is if he led a league wide on field protest against police brutality by kneeling for the anthem. 

Are we still talking about a guy with a career completion percentage below 60%? And who went 3-16 as a starter during his last two seasons? A GM would be committing malpractice to sign him to anything but a backup contract. 

46 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Are we still talking about a guy with a career completion percentage below 60%? And who went 3-16 as a starter during his last two seasons? A GM would be committing malpractice to sign him to anything but a backup contract. 

Now they would.   That was not the case 4 or 5 years ago when he was first blackballed.  

Edited by Hongbit

56 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Speechless

I dunno... I don't think he's an football idiot.  Obviously he failed here in Detroit, no way to sugar coat that.  But I wonder if he'd be decent enough as a coordinator.  He obviously seemed to have enough success at it original in NE.  And there's lots of guys who are good-to-great coordinators who fail as HC.  Just looking at Detroit's history: 'Weg went on to coach in the NFL for 14 years after getting fired by the Lions in various roles from QB coach to OC to Assistant HC. Marinelli is still in the league and served 9 of the years after he was fire as a DC.  Schwartz had 6 years as a DC.

I think it's entirely possible to be a great coordinator, yet fail as a HC.  HC is a different animal and some people just don't have the chops to be a the man in charge of it all.  It's one reason why I think it's not always smart to assume the next great HC is someone's current great coordinator.

Now having defending Patricia, I do find it very odd that he's being put in as the offensive coordinator.  It almost feels like he's being groomed for Belichick's replacement, which would be odd.  But again I don't think Patricia is a football idiot.  With the right mentoring, maybe he could step into the role of HC again. However, I do question how good Belichick is as an HC mentor given the many notable failures in his "coaching tree."

Don't forget, Matt Patricia was originally an offensive assistant and offensive line coach in New England before becoming defensive coordinator. I also read Tyrell Crosby basically say Patricia was a cool guy but Coach Patricia was insufferable. That seemed to be the vibe I got from New England that the players seemed to like to play for him. He became an instant douchebag when the Lions hired him. Maybe his experience with the Lions humbled him. If Josh McDaniels gets a second chance, I think Patricia can. It will most likely be with New England. 

There’s no surprise that Patricia gets another shot as a coordinator.  His many errors here will be glossed over since nobody in the league has any respect for the Lions franchise.   They will take more of the blame than Patricia.  The surprise is that he’s moving to offense.   This type of thing may have happened 25+ years ago in the NFL but it seems unprecedented to have a coordinator switch sides nowadays.  I’ve see it with lower level position coaches but not playcallers.  

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

There’s no surprise that Patricia gets another shot as a coordinator.  His many errors here will be glossed over since nobody in the league has any respect for the Lions franchise.   They will take more of the blame than Patricia.  The surprise is that he’s moving to offense.   This type of thing may have happened 25+ years ago in the NFL but it seems unprecedented to have a coordinator switch sides nowadays.  I’ve see it with lower level position coaches but not playcallers.  

Belichick knows Patricia well enough that what he did or didn't do in Detroit probably wasn't much a factor in his thinking, except that after his failure he probably got him back cheap.....:classic_laugh:

I wonder what kind of upheaval there will be in Denver and who will want to leave after their new Wal-Mart family owner union busts and refuses to let his players join the NFLPA? If they run their team like they run their stores you can expect them to slash payroll too, so maybe Russ is available now.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I wonder what kind of upheaval there will be in Denver and who will want to leave after their new Wal-Mart family owner union busts and refuses to let his players join the NFLPA? If they run their team like they run their stores you can expect them to slash payroll too, so maybe Russ is available now.

none of this will happen.

Watson is creepy scumbag that is super lucky to avoid going to prison.  I have a feeling as additional cases pop up outside of Houston, there will be different DA’s that try to bring charges.   

This is going to be very interesting to see what the Browns do.   I would assume there is some type of out clause they have in this contract.  This guy is going to get a serious suspension from the league.  

Edited by Hongbit

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Watson is creepy scumbag that is super lucky to avoid going to prison.  I have a feeling as additional cases pop up outside of Houston, there will be different DA’s that try to bring charges.   

This is going to be very interesting to see what the Browns do.   I would assume there is some type of out clause they have in this contract.  This guy is going to get a serious suspension from the league.  

two grand juries declined to charge him.  that tells me there is more to the story.

memo to deshaun: you have a ton of money and dont need to pay for sex from seedy massage parlors anymore!

15 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Now they would.   That was not the case 4 or 5 years ago when he was first blackballed.  

Huh? His stats from his last two seasons were the same then as they are now. 

He’s just like so many other running QBs… catches the league off guard in his first season then they take away the run and that’s it. He’s one dimensional and his one dimension is not good enough. Wasn’t good enough then, not good enough now. 

8 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Huh? His stats from his last two seasons were the same then as they are now. 

He’s just like so many other running QBs… catches the league off guard in his first season then they take away the run and that’s it. He’s one dimensional and his one dimension is not good enough. Wasn’t good enough then, not good enough now. 

I agree that he lost effectiveness once he stopped running but you really believe he wasn’t blackballed?   Guys like Geno Smith, Nathan Peterman, Matt Barkley, and Chase Daniel all had multiple backup jobs during his hiatus.   He was a better option than all of these guys as a #2.  

Edited by Hongbit