Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

15 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I agree that he lost effectiveness once he stopped running but you really believe he wasn’t blackballed?   Guys like Geno Smith, Nathan Peterman, Matt Barkley, and Chase Daniel all had multiple backup jobs during his hiatus.   He was a better option than all of these guys as a #2.  

And he supposedly turned down offers to be a #2. 

41 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I agree that he lost effectiveness once he stopped running but you really believe he wasn’t blackballed?   Guys like Geno Smith, Nathan Peterman, Matt Barkley, and Chase Daniel all had multiple backup jobs during his hiatus.   He was a better option than all of these guys as a #2.  

Colin Kaepernick was absolutely black balled, but I think the reasons why evolved as time passed. At the onset, I think there was a large sentiment that they (the owners) didn’t want this disruptive social justice presence on their payroll, which was fueled by racism. I think the NFL was at least passively complicit in this. Whether the owners themselves were racist or not (I’m confident a handful are), I think that even those owners who may have quietly approved of his message, or at least understood it, did not want to create a stir with their fanbase, benefactors, and fellow owners that did not, and Goodell and the NFL were perfectly okay with CK not getting another job, even if there was never a memo or email or announcement saying so. This was truly despicable on the part of the NFL and owners, and I think history will reflect extremely poorly on them for it.

As time has gone on though, I think it has had more to do with the media frenzy that would come along with picking up Kaepernick. A lot of squads are probably of the opinion that CK could plausibly compete for their #2/3 QB role, but simply isn’t worth the thousands of hours of press coverage that would be dedicated to him. Is a fringe backup QB worth turning your training camp into a media zoo? Worth the 15 minutes of questions at every press conference? Worth turning your starter into “the guy that’s in the way” of CK? Worth talking points in the media when he gets cut, asking whether the cut was due to race or merits?

That’s not fair to Kaepernick at all, but I think it is at least a little more understandable on the part of the NFL teams. In that sense, today, I can understand why a HC/GM would take Case Keenum, Matt Barkley, Chase Daniel, etc. for a backup role over Kaepernick. Keenum/Barkley/Daniel can sign that contract and just do their job. So much more would be expected of both CK and the entire organization if you signed CK…. I think nowadays Goodell would love for CK to be picked up by someone. I don’t think it will happen though.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I seem to recall that he refused to take a backup job. I also think he was using his situation — lack of skill for QB1 and unwillingness to accept QB2 — as fuel for his indignation machine. 

Listen, the Browns signed Watson because he can win. They would have signed Kaep if he had the skill. 

32 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Kapernick is making a lot more from Nike than he would from any NFL team as a backup QB. He wouldn't have that large Nike deal if he were a backup QB. 

Exactly. This is all part of his PR campaign, including the Raiders tryout. 

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Browns really did a number to themselves. Even if there is an out on Watson's contract, they gave up three 1st round picks. They alienated their current QB. They don't have assets to trade for another QB, and if they can't get out of Watson's contract, they don't have cap space. 

Browns gonna Brown. 

• Like 1

i suspect the browns will end up dealing mayfield to the panthers ot seahawks.  or, they use him to ride out any watson suspension.  mayfield is a free agent and will have an incentive to play well no matter what he thinks of the organization.

as for watson, i wonder what they're demanding to settle those things?  he should have settled it a long time ago just to get it out of the papers, but if theyre looking for a million per claimant, that would be tough to pay for.  sometimes you need to just cut your losses.  otoh, tony buzzbee might not want to settle it yet as it keeps his name in the news.

9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Now that Wal-Mart owns the Denver Broncos it will be interesting to see if Broncos salaries start trending downward too given Wal-Mart's notoriously low pay for their employees. May have the first NFL contract in history for an hourly wage.

https://denverfan.com/2098816/banking-coffee-leadership-and-a-star-wars-connection-meet-broncos-co-owner-mellody-hobson/

dont worry tater, there's a rich minority co-owner in the ownership group.

5 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Commanders welfare bill in Va is dead. DC doesn't want them. MD says the team owns their current property, but don't expect any more $$ other than a proposed rail line already on the table,

Dan Snyder. Even a worse owner than William Clay Ford.