Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I hope for their sake the whole route didn't look like this cause if so that is definitely pathetic. Not quite as bad as the Chicago's WNBA team that won last season though. 

The ones that did show up were probably paid Hollywood extras.  

LA has more homeless people than people who showed up for that parade.   Not trying to be funny, but it's true. 

On 2/16/2022 at 5:36 PM, Motown Bombers said:

Perhaps, but I don't like the fact that Los Angeles just feels entitled to a football team. The NFL did just fine without Los Angeles for 20 years so I really don't care about their market size. 

I dunno that it was LA feeling entitled as much as it was the NFL wanting to the LA market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sagnam said:

Kevin O’Connell envisions a 3-man defensive front for the Vikings

This is good news.  Always great to see a new coach come and an pick a scheme regardless of the current roster.

I don't think the 3-4 / 4-3 distinction means as much as it did 10-20 years ago. Almost every NFL team nowadays uses the nickel (4-2-5) as their primary base package. The only exception I can think of is the Packers, who AFAIK still use more dime (4-1-6). Whether you envision that 4th up-man with their hand in the dirt like a DE (in the 4-3) or you keep them upright like an OLB (in the 3-4), their purpose is generally the same at the end of the day. In a perfect world that 4th man is crashing in on runs like a DE and creating pressure on passes like an OLB, no matter what you call them. How you start doesn't matter if you can finish in the backfield.

That said, O'Connell coming in as a supposed offensive guru and picking a defensive scheme a half second after he's picked a defensive coordinator is a little alarming if I am a Vikings fan. Good thing I'm not.

7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Dude thinks he is Lebron James yet he doesn’t win anything. I would be so sick of this circus if I were the Packers.

The guys is becoming a nut case to boot. Valenti's crew was having quite the laugh about this yesterday:

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/aaron-rodgers-did-12-day-cleanse-that-typically-involves-vomiting-laxatives

5 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Dude thinks he is Lebron James yet he doesn’t win anything. I would be so sick of this circus if I were the Packers.

No offense, but I am really sick of this narrative.  "Wins nothing"...he is the best QB in the league and makes everyone around him a better player.  No one player, even the QB, can win the whole thing.  The narrative on Rodgers has shifted IMMENSLEY since the whole vaccine thing...people online love railing on him because he did not take the vaccine and lied about it.  I never liked Aaron, still do not, but to act like he will not get a ton of offers from teams that need a QB or that it is somehow his fault is ridiculous.

What you should really be railing on is the media these days.  They are the ones putting this inane crap in our faces 24/7.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The guys is becoming a nut case to boot. Valenti's crew was having quite the laugh about this yesterday:

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/aaron-rodgers-did-12-day-cleanse-that-typically-involves-vomiting-laxatives

I was listening to Doug and Gator when they brought it up.  I turn the radio off at 2:00pm.

12 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

No offense, but I am really sick of this narrative.  "Wins nothing"...he is the best QB in the league and makes everyone around him a better player.  No one player, even the QB, can win the whole thing.  The narrative on Rodgers has shifted IMMENSLEY since the whole vaccine thing...people online love railing on him because he did not take the vaccine and lied about it.  I never liked Aaron, still do not, but to act like he will not get a ton of offers from teams that need a QB or that it is somehow his fault is ridiculous.

What you should really be railing on is the media these days.  They are the ones putting this inane crap in our faces 24/7.

Agree, I'm not going to comment on the vaccine thing but I do think it's unfair to say he doesn't win. Yeah he's "only" won one SB but he has put the Packers in position to get there several times which they otherwise wouldn't have without him.  

29 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I don't think he's the best QB in the league. He's top five, possibly the most valuable, but he's not the best.

I agree that no one player can win a Super Bowl (or even a playoff game for that matter - see Stafford). If I were a Green Bay supporter though, I would be so sick of this limbo, and this narrative that he'll make a decision when he makes a decision. He's had good teams. He's made one Super Bowl in his career. I don't think he's earned the "wait in awe" that he seems to be expecting like Lebron when he took his talents to South Beach. I can blame the media, but he's the one releasing this to the media. He's the one telling everyone about his cleanse on Pat McAfee.

I'm not debating that a bunch of teams would love to have him, but I wouldn't want my team holding out our future, our front office, and everything we have because he doesn't know what he wants to do.

Would Rodgers be in limbo if the Packers had not picked his replacement?

Would the Packers have had an early end to their season if they had picked a guy like Tee Higgins (or literally anyone else left on the board) instead of Love?

I dislike Rodgers as much as the next Lions fan but it must be hard to give a team MVP level performance then get knifed in the back by a FO that is too clever for its own good. 

Say what you will about the Rams and Bucs, their front offices wanted to win and went all in to get their QBs and build teams around them. The Packers FO should be all in on its home grown HOF QB but instead just wants to remain above average. 

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Denver could have had Stafford for much less and Stafford has as many rings as Wilson. 

Maybe I’m wrong here but hard to compare the two trades because Stafford’s success with the Rams increased what Denver was willing to pay for a franchise QB.    

Edited by Hongbit

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Maybe I’m wrong here but hard to compare the two trades because Stafford’s success increased what Denver was willing to pay for a franchise QB.    

That's kind of the point. Denver didn't make a serious offer for Stafford and watched him go to the Rams and win a Super Bowl. Now they are left paying through the nose for Wilson. I bet the Colts are feeling the same way after dealing a 1st for Wentz.