Jump to content

goodbye to seasonal clock-changing!


Recommended Posts

The thing with going to school in the dark is it depends I think on where you are in that zone.... Do kids really walk to school anymore?  

We once left a quick game at Comerica Park in the first week of July and it was broad daylight.  Like 9:15 pm.  It worked out because I was with my brother in law from TX and he wanted to see 8 Mile road and felt better about it while daylight. So off we went.  I had no idea it was such a tourist thing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, oblong said:

The thing with going to school in the dark is it depends I think on where you are in that zone.... Do kids really walk to school anymore?  

I think it's more of an elementary thing as a lot of them in my area are very close to the neighborhoods. By Junior High, there are very few kids walking to school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oblong said:

The thing with going to school in the dark is it depends I think on where you are in that zone.... Do kids really walk to school anymore?  

 

 

Or to the bus stop.  Some mornings it was nearly impossible to get out of the sub with all the cars lined up waiting for the bus. 

Now that I'm retired not much of an issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm fairly agnostic on the subject. However back when my workday started at 5 AM or earlier the extra hour of sunlight in the evening was a bit of a deterrent.  I found it hard to get to sleep by 9 at the latest to hit the 3-3:30 wake-up alarm. Afternoon naps were of little use if I could manage one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the thing that is so dumb though, is that you are willing to do things earlier in the astronomical day *all year*, than just do them earlier in the *clock* day *all year*. You don't need to move the clock off the actual center for the day to do that. We are just such a stupid society.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, oblong said:

The thing with going to school in the dark is it depends I think on where you are in that zone.... Do kids really walk to school anymore?  

 

Maybe not out in the Burbs but lots of kids still walk to school where I live inner city areas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2022 at 5:11 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

I am fine with this as long as we keep the daylight at the end of the day.  Few things are as depressing as darkness at 5:15

Or 4:30, here in the city.

I remember year round DST when I was a kid. It was the middle of the energy crisis. Parents went apeshit because they had to send their kids to school in the dark in January. I was a kid. I didn’t care, I was already up delivering newspapers around the neighborhood in the dark and on foot by 6:00am. Nobody fretted about me doing that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2022 at 8:17 AM, oblong said:

The thing with going to school in the dark is it depends I think on where you are in that zone.... Do kids really walk to school anymore?  

We once left a quick game at Comerica Park in the first week of July and it was broad daylight.  Like 9:15 pm.  It worked out because I was with my brother in law from TX and he wanted to see 8 Mile road and felt better about it while daylight. So off we went.  I had no idea it was such a tourist thing.

 

Man, talk about nothing to see. Divided road, five lanes each side, practically a highway.

Next time, you wanna show your BIL the real, drive him down 7 Mile Road. That’ll wake him up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2022 at 9:06 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

I think it's more of an elementary thing as a lot of them in my area are very close to the neighborhoods. By Junior High, there are very few kids walking to school.

Don’t parents (mothers) typically walk their grade school kids to school every day? That’s what I see around here. Maybe that’s more of a city thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Man, talk about nothing to see. Divided road, five lanes each side, practically a highway.

Next time, you wanna show your BIL the real, drive him down 7 Mile Road. That’ll wake him up.

He literally just wanted to see the street sign.  Got out and took a picture.   I told him it was nothing but pawn stores, strip clubs, and "indoor gardening" centers.  Turnabout is fair play as when I went down there he took me to Southfork Ranch... which is a "not as big as you think" house on some land surrounded by subdivisions and big box stores.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Don’t parents (mothers) typically walk their grade school kids to school every day? That’s what I see around here. Maybe that’s more of a city thing.

When I was leaving the house for work during pre school hours it was mostly parents in their cars waiting for the bus.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, oblong said:

He literally just wanted to see the street sign.  Got out and took a picture.   I told him it was nothing but pawn stores, strip clubs, and "indoor gardening" centers.  Turnabout is fair play as when I went down there he took me to Southfork Ranch... which is a "not as big as you think" house on some land surrounded by subdivisions and big box stores.

That makes sense. The 8 Mile Road sign, at least the Detroit side of it, is in a pretty unique font you don't see anywhere else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

When I was leaving the house for work during pre school hours it was mostly parents in their cars waiting for the bus.

 

Exactly.

So ironic since the generation of parents who out of stranger danger fear started insisting they had to accompany their children to school themselves likely walked to school every day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      185
    • Most Online
      119

    Newest Member
    roarintiger1
    Joined
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...