Visual Amusement. (Keep it clean!)

RedRamage

Perhaps, although I don't know what stake Chris Rock and Will Smith would have in the Oscars business that they would agree to pull a stunt of this nature just to goose TV ratings for next year.

On another note, if you're in the game and you think someone is a weak bitch, you slap him, not closed-fist punch him. You punch only people you have a healthy respect for.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Perhaps, although I don't know what stake Chris Rock and Will Smith would have in the Oscars business that they would agree to pull a stunt of this nature just to goose TV ratings for next year.

On another note, if you're in the game and you think someone is a weak bitch, you slap him, not closed-fist punch him. You punch only people you have a healthy respect for.

My favorite part was that supposedly Denzel told Smith afterward "It's when you're on top, the Devil comes for you"

LOL - Denzel should be somebody's grandmother.

Edited by gehringer_2

59 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Well, the LAPD thought it was real or else they wouldn't have asked Chris Rock if he were pressing charges, the academy condemned it and are looking into it, and oh yeah, Will Smith just issued an apology to Chris Rock and admitted he overreacted. Totally not staged. 

would have loved a blood sample on Smith. If you watch the clip he was having a good time laughing 10 seconds before he went ape. Mood instability/impulse control etc. Reasonable markers for some kind of impairment...

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

would have loved a blood sample on Smith. If you watch the clip he was having a good time laughing 10 seconds before he went ape. Mood instability/impulse control etc. Reasonable markers for some kind of impairment...

He talked to Jada who wasn't quite so happy.

That was the mood swing.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Well, the LAPD thought it was real or else they wouldn't have asked Chris Rock if he were pressing charges, the academy condemned it and are looking into it, and oh yeah, Will Smith just issued an apology to Chris Rock and admitted he overreacted. Totally not staged. 

I’m sorry, no. This is the first time in years that more than a handful of people discussed an awards show. 

Even Jussie is scoffing. 

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I’m sorry, no. This is the first time in years that more than a handful of people discussed an awards show. 

Even Jussie is scoffing. 

It's all a big conspiracy. The LAPD, Academy, Chris Rock, Jada Pinkett and Will Smith are all in on it. Other actors like Denzel and Tyler Perry were in on it. Will Smith's PR people were in on it. Will Smith is lying and ruining the good guy image he spent decades cultivating just so people talk about the awards show. Even if this was all a rouse, of all the things they could have staged, why would they have staged a top star assaulting someone? 

Why isn’t Kareen Abdul-Jabbar considered a national treasure? He’s one of the best opinion writers practically no one is reading, and this is the smartest take on the whole incident I have seen.

”When Will Smith stormed onto the Oscar stage to strike Chris Rock for making a joke about his wife’s short hair, he did a lot more damage than just to Rock’s face. With a single petulant blow, he advocated violence, diminished women, insulted the entertainment industry, and perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community.”

Edited by chasfh

32 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Why isn’t Kareen Abdul-Jabbar considered a national treasure? He’s one of the best opinion writers practically no one is reading, and this is the smartest take on the whole incident I have seen.

”When Will Smith stormed onto the Oscar stage to strike Chris Rock for making a joke about his wife’s short hair, he did a lot more damage than just to Rock’s face. With a single petulant blow, he advocated violence, diminished women, insulted the entertainment industry, and perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community.”

>national treasure?

yeah - I don't always agree with Kareem but he is an honest an perceptive thinker. if he had a piece of sheepskin from an Ivy instead of NBA championship rings maybe we'd be able to listen to him instead half of the gas bags like Sharpton the media normally goes to for racial commentary. 

Of course I have no idea if Kareem cares about having a higher commentary profile. He definitely has always marched to his own drum.

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

>national treasure?

yeah - I don't always agree with Kareem but he is an honest an perceptive thinker. if he had a piece of sheepskin from an Ivy instead of NBA championship rings maybe we'd be able to listen to him instead half of the gas bags like Sharpton the media normally goes to for racial commentary. 

Of course I have no idea if Kareem cares about having a higher commentary profile. He definitely has always marched to his own drum.

Yes, national treasure. Kareem has consistently proven to be one of the most thoughtful observers of our national social condition we have in America. Feel free to disagree.

On 3/28/2022 at 12:28 PM, Tigeraholic1 said:

Totally staged, Rock was ready for it. Your first instict would be to atleast prepare yourself to be hit. 

He wasn't ready for it because he didn't think it was serious.   

Will got caught laughing at the joke and imagined what life was going to be like for the next 10 years if he didn't do something. 

No way Chris Rock knew she had a condition.  He wouldn't have said that.  He thought she was going for a look and she looks fine, by the way. 

I worked at the hospital with a black woman who was voluntarily bald.  She did it as a gesture for a friend going through chemo years ago and she liked it and said the amount of time it saved her was worth any comments she got.  (people assumed she had cancer).    She'd wear wigs once in awhile.  

I've seen it said a lot that Will changed his reaction based on Jada. To me it seems just as possible that his initial reaction was to laugh, because that's what they are supposed to do, but then he realized what was actually said (probably combined with the look on his wife's face). I can think of many times when I've initially laughed at something and then paused and was like "WTF?".

It doesn't really change anything either way, but just a thought. It was still a MASSIVE overreaction on Will's part regardless.

This is one of those situations where I can fully understand each side of the argument.  While going up and slapping someone like that is technically wrong I can't get worked up about it when he's defending his wife from an insult, even if it was from a comedian and under the guise of a joke.  Sort of like a parent with a kid who got suspended from school for fighting but he was being bullied or whatever.  Part of you is proud the kid defended himself.  At least that how I would have been under the same situation.  I can also see the argument that it's hollywood and the hosts and presenters make fun of hollywood people.  It's part of the deal.  The only difference I see here is her medical condition being the exception to the rule.

Nobody got hurt and Smith doing what he did overshadowed his big win.  I see it as self inflicted harm and it evens out.

If Amy Schumer made that joke and Will Smith reacted the same way, he would have been arrested before he made it off the stage. Why is it different and justifiable because it's Chris Rock? Can't Jada defend herself? We can hit people now who make jokes that offend us? Uncle Phil could've popped him on many occasions for all his fat jokes. If Will Smith really wanted to make a statement, he could have walked out, heckled or yelled at Chris Rock, or shame him during his acceptance speech.