POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

the difficult thing is even within each state you have issues... I'm not sure outside of the 30 mile radius from Grand Circus Park in Detroit that it's a blue state.   Aside from areas in Flint and urban areas on the west side I bet it's as red as anywhere.  

😂 New Netherlands!??! What the heck? 
and as I stated previously…. I’m not going to accept Staten Island or Queens as part of the mix….(will sell for $27 in trinkets)

. PLUS, it cut off the section of Jersey worth keeping! The beautiful shore areas.

I’m going to hunt down whoever created that travesty and feed them to the sharks.😁

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

How did Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota become part of Yankeedom?  

I can't speak for Wisconsin or Minnesota, but Michigan was "white-settled" mainly by people from the northeast, chiefly New York state. It's one of the reasons why we have cities named Troy, Rochester, Utica, Farmington, Warren, Auburn Hills, Clinton Township, and probably a few others named directly for New York towns or people.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

the difficult thing is even within each state you have issues... I'm not sure outside of the 30 mile radius from Grand Circus Park in Detroit that it's a blue state.   Aside from areas in Flint and urban areas on the west side I bet it's as red as anywhere.  

A lot of that might have to do with southern migration to Michigan in the first half of the 20th Century, but the saturation of populist red state political thinking, I think, is a recent thing, like last decade or so. The feeling was probably always latent, but I think that movement, as it were, might have found its legs with all those bomb-throwing right-wing websites that all started up in the mid to late 2000s, then got supercharged by Trump and his sycophantic right-wing media cabal in the last six or seven or so years.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

this is true. The more fundamental split in the US is urban/rural and it exists in pretty much every state. Aside from maybe the core of the old South, a state's relative blueness is pretty a measure of its internal urban/rural population dist. Even in Tx Houston is Democratic, and even in CA the Central valley is GOP.

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I can't speak for Wisconsin or Minnesota, but Michigan was "white-settled" mainly by people from the northeast, chiefly New York state. It's one of the reasons why we have cities named Troy, Rochester, Utica, Farmington, Warren, Auburn Hills, Clinton Township, and probably a few others named directly for New York towns or people.

There's a  Livonia in upstate NY, near Rochester.  My nephew lives around there.

Latino groups want to do away with “Latinx”

Details: Rep. Ruben Gallego (D-Ariz.), head of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus' campaign arm, announced last month his congressional staff is not allowed to use "Latinx" in official communications. 

• "When Latino politicos use the term it is largely to appease white rich progressives who think that is the term we use. It is a vicious circle of confirmation bias," he tweeted.
  • Days after Gallego's tweet, Domingo García, president of the League of United Latin American Citizens, instructed staff and board members to drop the word "Latinx" from the group's official communications, NBC Latino's Suzanne Gamboa reported.
  • "The reality is, there is very little to no support for its use, and it's sort of seen as something used inside the Beltway or in Ivy League tower settings," García told NBC News.