POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

19 minutes ago, pfife said:

I wonder too - gender isn't as much a part of our language as it is theirs, as in a lot of words have gendered forms.   It's much more ingrained.   

true. English nouns do not have gendered forms, we only have only gendered pronouns. In Latin and languages more closely derived from it, the nouns themselves have gender which makes the fixations of our English language police on pronouns pointless in those languages. You'd have to rewrite the entire dictionary. 

Edited by gehringer_2

Change of subject..... I don't get the fascination with the Theranos story.  Is it because she's kind of pretty?  So someone bilked a bunch of very rich people into bad investments... why is it a national story?  People get ripped off all the time.... especially by those people she ripped off.  Is this a case of inside baseball and national media thinking beause they care about something that everybody cares about it?  Did anybody die?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

Change of subject..... I don't get the fascination with the Theranos story.  Is it because she's kind of pretty?  So someone bilked a bunch of very rich people into bad investments... why is it a national story?  People get ripped off all the time.... especially by those people she ripped off.  Is this a case of inside baseball and national media thinking beause they care about something that everybody cares about it?  Did anybody die?

I can see there are some interesting aspects. We have been told that more women in power is supposed to create a 'better' environment than the testosterone dominated one, so if  women in business are just as bad as men, there's a counter narrative story on that front. But then even more than that, she has turned around and based her defense on blaming everything on the men, trying to play poor abused woman, so there is a story in whether she is believed (aren't we always supposed to believe the woman?) or does she get her comeuppance (yes she did) for trying to have it both ways? So I think the case does reflect a lot of current cultural tensions.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

the fixation on gender in and of itself seems to be somewhat unique to American progressives. I wonder if that is just the natural reflection/reaction to the overly strict gender role assignments of historical American Puritanism.

I think it's the opposite issue.

As you pointed out in later posts, English doesn't "genderize" nouns, just pronouns.

"Latinx" is another lazy Americanism that instead of following proper Romance language form with Latina and Latino, gets lazy and says "Latinx" in order to avoid having to use either or both.

That's what is upsetting to Latinos (I think), our laziness and inappropriateness. 

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The language Progs apparently don't see that telling Spanish speakers how to speak Spanish is pretty much a form of English language cultural imperialism.

exactly.

my extended family in mexico (amd in the us) laughs at the gringos and their latinx.  there go you white people trying to tell everyone what's best for them again...

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think it's the opposite issue.

As you pointed out in later posts, English doesn't "genderize" nouns, just pronouns.

"Latinx" is another lazy Americanism that instead of following proper Romance language form with Latina and Latino, gets lazy and says "Latinx" in order to avoid having to use either or both.

That's what is upsetting to Latinos (I think), our laziness and inappropriateness. 

it's not laziness, it's imparting your current cultural hang ups on genderized language onto another culture who wants nothing to do with them.

On 1/2/2022 at 1:17 PM, oblong said:

BuT TEXas HAS itS oWn GrID. THEY CaN SURVivE WITHOUt US 

according to that wapo piece  texas is the 10th largest economy in the world, i think they'd be ok.  bigger than canada.

california is a bigger economy than england now.  holy schnikes.

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

why'd they change it, i can't say, people just liked it better that waaaaayyyyyy....

According to Wikipedia New Amsterdam was under Dutch control until 1664 until the British seized control of the harbor. The Dutch never sought to remain control preferring to keep sugar plantations in South America. 

6 hours ago, oblong said:

The fact she ripped off some big names is probably the reason it's so big.  I don't think they've tied any deaths to her, but I wouldn't be surprised if it at least hastened someone's death.  In short, many doctors were treating their patients in part by what they believed to be accurate blood tests, only to find out years later that they weren't real at all.  

On 1/3/2022 at 11:49 AM, Tiger337 said:

How did Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota become part of Yankeedom?  

Migration patterns in the 1800s... Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois are filled with towns named by settlers who came from places from Upstate New York.

The maps take on Appalachia is absolute horseshit tho. West Texas has very little in common with West Virginia.

13 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Migration patterns in the 1800s... Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois are filled with towns named by settlers who came from places from Upstate New York.

The maps take on Appalachia is absolute horseshit tho. West Texas has very little in common with West Virginia.

both have some scots-irish roots. maybe that's what they mean. daniel boone , sam houston, strict religious presbyterian scots who migrated west from virginia once their indentured servant status ended and all the good tobacco growing lands were used up.  moved into the frontier.  kentucky, tennessee, north carolina, and eventually pushing on into texas.

not sure how many made it as far as west texas, but there were some of them there.

Just now, buddha said:

both have some scots-irish roots. maybe that's what they mean. daniel boone , sam houston, strict religious presbyterian scots who migrated west from virginia once their indentured servant status ended and all the good tobacco growing lands were used up.  moved into the frontier.  kentucky, tennessee, north carolina, and eventually pushing on into texas.

not sure how many made it as far as west texas, but there were some of them there.

It has to be strictly based on that lineage and ethnicity. I just think culturally (setting aside Presidential politics) they are radically different places. At least from my experience.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

How many ended up staying in Texas because of the war with Mexico?  My great great grandfather was alleged to have befriended a young Davey Crockett. He was also the first wagon-maker in McKeesport, Pa and reportedly had a contract to provide wagons to the US Army for the Mexican War.  I've always assumed the Crockett connection led to the contract. 

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

How many ended up staying in Texas because of the war with Mexico?  My great great grandfather was alleged to have befriended a young Davey Crockett. He was also the first wagon-maker in McKeesport, Pa and reportedly had a contract to provide wagons to the US Army for the Mexican War.  I've always assumed the Crockett connection led to the contract. 

I believe Davy Crocket died at the Alamo in 1836 if my memory of history is correct.

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

yeah, i dont know.

but i think that hard core scottish presbyterianism is a link between the appalachian peoples and a lot of the frontier settler populations you see in much of the upper south.  they were some of the first settlers who came here to work from england/scotland/ireland, and then left virginia to settle the frontier (and north carolina).  those who stayed in virginia - and who became much of the planter class of the plantation south - tended to be anglicans.  think of our image of robert e lee (genteel southern gentlemen) as opposed to the rowdy, expressly overtly severely religious scots/irish who tended to be lower class workers.

if you have curiosity stream, there is a really good lecture series on the history of the south taught by an american history professor.  its really interesting as to how slavery developed and the peoples who made up what became the south as opposed to the north and the midwest.